Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2019 Forte is experiencing some intermittent shifting or transmission issues, (I know very little about cars so I'm not sure exactly what). I have taken it into the dealership and they cannot replicate the issue.

I have had a couple instances where I move the shifter into reverse and the car does not move. Turning the engine off, back on, waiting for the system check to finish and then trying again usually resolved the issue so I thought it was some kind of fluke the first couple times it happened.

The next issue happened a few months later, I was straightening the car into a parking spot, moved the shift stick from reverse to drive and the car would not move. Give it gas, no movement. Power cycled the car and it worked again.

I had a routine service appt last week where they completed a software update to the IVT related to a recall. Every day after that, I consistently had the reverse issue. Start the engine, shift into reverse, and it sits. Give it gas, and it sits. One day it took 6 complete power cycles to get it to finally shift into reverse. I took it back to the dealership that day and they were not able to replicate the issue (even left the car overnight), they sent me home and told me to video it when it happens again and document the conditions (weather, how long it was in park, etc). I had it happen the day after it was at the dealership (of course I did not get video) but I have not yet had it happen again.

Tl:dr version - I am sometimes having trouble shifting from park into reverse and reverse into drive (park into reverse issue happens more often).

Does anyone have any experience with this or ideas on what could be happening?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Try documenting it on your phone. Looks like it will happen again sooner or later. Maybe request tranny diagnostic test? The fact you have to restart to engage reverse tells me perhaps it's an electrical component failure more than a full transmission fault.

Speaking of faults, did you ask the dealer to check for fault codes? You can pick up a cheap Bluetooth ODBII reader and have it stored inside your car and pull codes the next time it happens.

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
shellbell...if you can select driving modes - please try changing the driving mode to see if it changes anything.

Select "SPORT" mode and leave it there (make sure the screen shows "SPORT" too) before shifting.

If it does it in all the driving modes - SMART (ECO) - NORMAL - SPORT - that will eliminate some of the problem possibilities.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Try documenting it on your phone. Looks like it will happen again sooner or later. Maybe request tranny diagnostic test? The fact you have to restart to engage reverse tells me perhaps it's an electrical component failure more than a full transmission fault.

Speaking of faults, did you ask the dealer to check for fault codes? You can pick up a cheap Bluetooth ODBII reader and have it stored inside your car and pull codes the next time it happens.

They claim they didn't get any fault codes but I honestly don't know if they even looked. I will look for a Bluetooth reader, that is a good idea and I will definitely will be documenting from now on. Thank you for the suggestions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
shellbell...if you can select driving modes - please try changing the driving mode to see if it changes anything.

Select "SPORT" mode and leave it there (make sure the screen shows "SPORT" too) before shifting.

If it does it in all the driving modes - SMART (ECO) - NORMAL - SPORT - that will eliminate some of the problem possibilities.
I will try that and see what happens, thank you!

·
Registered
62 Posts
These CVTs (IVT for kia) are causing a lot of problems. You may (unfortunately) have to wait until it gets bad enough until you can prove to them there is a problem. If it's only intermittent and doesn't get worse, it can be tough. If you can figure out the exact steps that cause the problem, then you can replicate ("duplicate") it in front of them. Unfortunately, that's the only way they'll do anything. I wish you luck. I know this stuff can be so frustrating! You're not the only one having CVT/IVT transmission issues. It's a new technology with problems.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Some DCTs are also acting up but far fewer. Excessive Heat is the number one enemy. I love that the GT has a thermal temp sensor built into the tranny. You can see how hot it gets and cool down before damage. Anything 5 bars or above is pushing it. There's talk on GT fb club that some are changing out the tranny oil for higher grade.

Food for thought....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Some DCTs are also acting up but far fewer. Excessive Heat is the number one enemy. I love that the GT has a thermal temp sensor built into the tranny. You can see how hot it gets and cool down before damage. Anything above 5 bars is pushing it. There's talk on GT fb club that some are changing out the tranny oil for higher grade.

Food for thought....

Nice. Adding an extra transmission cooler on the front of the radiator would be an easy, cheap, and really reasonable upgrade for that situation as well.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Nice. Adding an extra transmission cooler on the front of the radiator would be an easy, cheap, and really reasonable upgrade for that situation as well.
Tranny cooler if you drive it hard forsure. I did that for my old Mazda and it did help bc anyone who knows the old Mazda CD4 trannies will know what I mean...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Tranny cooler if you drive it hard forsure. I did that for my old Mazda and it did help bc anyone who knows the old Mazda CD4 trannies will know what I mean...

Shellbell, do you park the car on a sloped/uneven driveway overnight? When this problem occurs is the car on a level surface? Dealership cannot replicate the issue because the vehicle is on a level surface at the dealership, or the transmission may not be warm/hot enough. Is the dealership garage air conditioned? Car may be not warm enough to replicate, not sure where you reside; not posted in your info at top of page. Very hot climate, or North where it’s still chilly enough to run a snowmobile? I have duel citizenship, in Cali. my second home, air conditioned garages can alter diagnose; making it more difficult to assess problems. Good luck with finding the problem Shellbell! 😉

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shellbell, do you park the car on a sloped/uneven driveway overnight? When this problem occurs is the car on a level surface? Dealership cannot replicate the issue because the vehicle is on a level surface at the dealership, or the transmission may not be warm/hot enough. Is the dealership garage air conditioned? Car may be not warm enough to replicate, not sure where you reside; not posted in your info at top of page. Very hot climate, or North where it’s still chilly enough to run a snowmobile? I have duel citizenship, in Cali. my second home, air conditioned garages can alter diagnose; making it more difficult to assess problems. Good luck with finding the problem Shellbell! 😉
Thanks for your response! I live in Central Ohio, the temp has ranged from in the 30’s to 50’s over the last week. I have had it happen in both a parking lot and in my garage. (My garage is a level floor but my driveway does have a slight slope. The car is usually parked level). When it does happen, it is the first time I am starting the car for the day, after it has sat idle overnight, anywhere from 12-15 hours. Not sure on the dealer garage air conditioning question but I know when they tested it last week it sat overnight in their parking lot in the same condition I usually have it in and they could not get it to occur.

I was able to get video this weekend of both park to reverse getting stuck, then reverse into drive getting stuck. ( I actually had to put it into reverse to finally get it to go into drive.)

Additionally when I had it stuck in reverse, I let the car idle in reverse for a minute or two and it finally clicked into gear and I was able to reverse. I did not have to power cycle it.

I have another appt scheduled for later this afternoon and they are going to keep it again.

If I can figure out how to post the video I will.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks for your response! I live in Central Ohio, the temp has ranged from in the 30’s to 50’s over the last week. I have had it happen in both a parking lot and in my garage. (My garage is a level floor but my driveway does have a slight slope. The car is usually parked level). When it does happen, it is the first time I am starting the car for the day, after it has sat idle overnight, anywhere from 12-15 hours. Not sure on the dealer garage air conditioning question but I know when they tested it last week it sat overnight in their parking lot in the same condition I usually have it in and they could not get it to occur.

I was able to get video this weekend of both park to reverse getting stuck, then reverse into drive getting stuck. ( I actually had to put it into reverse to finally get it to go into drive.)

Additionally when I had it stuck in reverse, I let the car idle in reverse for a minute or two and it finally clicked into gear and I was able to reverse. I did not have to power cycle it.

I have another appt scheduled for later this afternoon and they are going to keep it again.

If I can figure out how to post the video I will.
Shellbell do you know that you are the first one that has answered my questions properly in sequence of order? Thank You, you are a true American sweetheart! I’m interested in finding out what the issue is with your Forte. I’m hoping that your warranty is going to cover the cost of the diagnosis and repair. I’m on a snowmobile forum, and nobody has EVER responded as well as you, sounds like you have intelligenceia on your side! Chat soon! 😉

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Shellbell do you know that you are the first one that has answered my questions properly in sequence of order? Thank You, you are a true American sweetheart! I’m interested in finding out what the issue is with your Forte. I’m hoping that your warranty is going to cover the cost of the diagnosis and repair. I’m on a snowmobile forum, and nobody has EVER responded as well as you, sounds like you have intelligenceia on your side! Chat soon! 😉
Thanks Smooth1! I don't know cars, but I do work in IT so I'm familiar with cause and effect, troubleshooting and documenting...I find that this kind of logic can be applied to most things in life, lol. 😄 I left my Forte with the Kia dealership yesterday afternoon. The tech and the service supervisor said the videos were what they needed and are going to start looking at the transmission, so now I'm just waiting for the phone call. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
131 Posts
How many miles do you have on that car? I'm hoping it's still under warranty. If not, transmission work is very expensive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How many miles do you have on that car? I'm hoping it's still under warranty. If not, transmission work is very expensive.
Just under 27,000, I do have the 10 year/100,000 mile factory warranty and I had also purchased the 120,000 mile extended warranty.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Then you shouldn't have any problems getting it fixed. I wish you much luck with that and please let us know when it's fixed and what they had to do, okay?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Then you shouldn't have any problems getting it fixed. I wish you much luck with that and please let us know when it's fixed and what they had to do, okay?
Shellbell, extended warranty is a great peace of mind. I have extended warranty as well, 5 year extended, and tire warranty. Please keep us posted on the issue. 😎

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Kia just called.... their service techs were finally able to replicate my issue, they have already ordered a new transmission which will take a few days to come in, and they expect that I'll have the car back by early next week. (y)

·
Registered
609 Posts
Kia just called.... their service techs were finally able to replicate my issue, they have already ordered a new transmission which will take a few days to come in, and they expect that I'll have the car back by early next week. (y)
Ask them if it's a rebuilt tranny pack or factory new.... my guess is repack.

also make sure balance of warranty applicable to the replaced tranny.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts