Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who aren't aware of this:

When replacing blades or cleaning the windshield you can position the wiper blades full up...to make it easier to replace the blades or wash the windshield.

The engine needs to be running...then turn the key to the off position and immediately push the wiper switch up (to the mist position) and hold. You'll see the wipers position themselves for ease of maintenance. After you lift the wiper arms, once you replace the blades or clean the windshield, make sure to put the wiper arms back against the windshield before turning the key on and hitting the wiper switch to park the wipers! If you don't you can end up scratching the paint on the back of the hood!

Product Automotive design Automotive parking light Screenshot Motor vehicle

Kia Forte - Blade replacement - Wiper blades (kiforte.com)

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
245 Posts
Alternative that doesn’t require starting the car:
Turn the ignition all the way on (without starting it). Turn it all the way off, then immediately push and hold the mist setting on the wipers until the wipers go to the service position. Basically the same as Forte2.4SX’s advice (nice writeup btw), but the engine doesn’t need to be on. Just go to full on ignition (one click before the starter engages) and then back off.

tl;dr - the engine doesn’t have to be on - just ignition full on.

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
245 Posts
Yea. Push the start button without your foot on the clutch (you might need to press it twice? I don’t have one so I couldn’t tell you. Just make sure the ignition comes all the way on - where all the warning lights test themselves), then shut it off (hit the button again) and press and hold the mist on the wiper stalk

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT DCT Black
35 Posts
Yeah mine had the sticker too, apparently the dealership @ Safford can't read as mine came with hood scratches on the side lip of the hood above each wiper too.

Here's a helpful tip, instead of whatever steps are involved with this service position, just pop and prop your hood and you can do whatever you want with the wipers, found this out when I disconnected that stupid engine noise speaker...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah mine had the sticker too, apparently the dealership @ Safford can't read as mine came with hood scratches on the side lip of the hood above each wiper too.

Here's a helpful tip, instead of whatever steps are involved with this service position, just pop and prop your hood and you can do whatever you want with the wipers, found this out when I disconnected that stupid engine noise speaker...
what is the engine noise speaker?

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT DCT Black
35 Posts
what is the engine noise speaker?
The GTs have a stupid speaker that makes exhaust noise come in from the front of the car in Smart and Sport. If you disconnect it you can better hear what you’re engine is doing and the exhaust in the back where it belongs. I did it the day after I got the car.
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's actually a novel idea - YOU get to hear the engine noise so you think you're really making power...but the cops don't hear you...LOL!

Reactions: Forte_Chris

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT DCT Black
35 Posts
It's actually a novel idea - YOU get to hear the engine noise so you think you're really making power...but the cops don't hear you...LOL!
Lol, I’ve heard that the do it in mustangs too, I’ll refrain from further comments and I’ve seen for a fact that there’s engine noise apps downloadable for Tesla’s. 😆

·
Registered
15 Posts
Lol, I’ve heard that the do it in mustangs too, I’ll refrain from further comments and I’ve seen for a fact that there’s engine noise apps downloadable for Tesla’s. 😆
hmm interesting. I assume I do not have this speaker in my 2020 Kia Forte EX ?

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hmm interesting. I assume I do not have this speaker in my 2020 Kia Forte EX ?
At this point don't assume anything...LOL!

I think my wife's Optima has one because when you select sport it also gets louder in the cabin - it's an LX not a SX or GT...one day I'll have to look under the cowl.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks for the reminder about the windshield wipers. I'm sure many auto parts store clerks have ruined 2019+ Forte hoods and wiper arms because they didn't know, along with a few owners and service technicians as well :rolleyes:

I recall reading this in the owners manual and thinking what a bad design, guaranteed to cause issues.

While it wouldn't surprise me that there are other makes and models out there with similar quirks, this just seems like a terrible design fault.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT DCT Black
35 Posts
Thanks for the reminder about the windshield wipers. I'm sure many auto parts store clerks have ruined 2019+ Forte hoods and wiper arms because they didn't know, along with a few owners and service technicians as well :rolleyes:

I recall reading this in the owners manual and thinking what a bad design, guaranteed to cause issues.

While it wouldn't surprise me that there are other makes and models out there with similar quirks, this just seems like a terrible design fault.
I agree but it's likely an aero consideration as it keeps them well tucked away. My FD's wipers would be a 1/3 up the windshield anything >150mph, I couldn't imagine they wouldn't break if I tried to turn them on!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I agree but it's likely an aero consideration as it keeps them well tucked away. My FD's wipers would be a 1/3 up the windshield anything >150mph, I couldn't imagine they wouldn't break if I tried to turn them on!
I'm sure it was both aerodynamics and aesthetics, but wipers have been fully exposed on many cars that are designed for very high speed. And I recall on many of our cars from the 70s and 80s, the wipers were fully concealed (from sight) but could still be folded up to change blades. To be fair though, the cowl and back edge of the hood was much wider on those cars than the Forte 🤷‍♂️

I just wish they had a better solution as it is likely to cause hood and arm damage by someone who is unaware.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm sure it was both aerodynamics and aesthetics, but wipers have been fully exposed on many cars that are designed for very high speed. And I recall on many of our cars from the 70s and 80s, the wipers were fully concealed (from sight) but could still be folded up to change blades. To be fair though, the cowl and back edge of the hood was much wider on those cars than the Forte 🤷‍♂️

I just wish they had a better solution as it is likely to cause hood and arm damage by someone who is unaware.
All Kias with hidden wiper blades (wipers that can't be lifted in the park position) have this "maintenance position" - Optimas and Sorentos,

1 - 19 of 19 Posts