Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Kia Forte 2.0L AT
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was informed this swapm is possible. The engine on my 2017 Forte threw a rod 764 miles outside of warranty. While searching for a used engine, the dismantling site stated they had a 2020 2.0L AT that'd work. I told them I thought only 2013-2018 could. He said, "my computer says you need to swap the intake, injectors and throttle body".

So, here's my question, before I pay for this engine ($2,250 with 1,100 miles on it), can it really be done?
Font Number Parallel Circle Document

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, Wagner-Tuning Intercooler, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S1 Intake
6,577 Posts
NO! This is NOT a feasible swap. Corrected - SEE POST 5 BELOW.

Your current 2.0L engine's fuel system is controlled by the MAP sensor. The 2020 2.0L engines' fuel systems are controlled by a MAF sensor. There is NO WAY your ECM will work with the 2020 engine!

Another problem you'd run into if you were to try to use the 2020 ECM is that the Transmission TCM is integrated with the ECM and since you don't have a IVT transmission it wouldn't function properly.

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
1,622 Posts
NO! This is NOT a feasible swap.

Your current 2.0L engine's fuel system is controlled by the MAP sensor. The 2020 2.0L engines' fuel systems are controlled by a MAF sensor. There is NO WAY your ECM will work with the 2020 engine!

Another problem you'd run into if you were to try to use the 2020 ECM is that the Transmission TCM is integrated with the ECM and since you don't have a IVT transmission it wouldn't function properly.
Well if you swap the intake (has a maf sensor port) and use the wiring and ECU from the car it's going into, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Just swap over all the ancillary bits and you should be good to go I would think. Never tried it or even looked closely at a 2nd gen though

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, Wagner-Tuning Intercooler, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S1 Intake
6,577 Posts
Well if you swap the intake (has a maf sensor port) and use the wiring and ECU from the car it's going into, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Just swap over all the ancillary bits and you should be good to go I would think. Never tried it or even looked closely at a 2nd gen though
I sit corrected! I should have done more research before my post - I was thinking the engines weren't the same. But you are correct! The block and cylinder heads show to be the same for 2017 and 2020 Fortes. So YES, the engine itself will work!

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Screenshot

·
Registered
2022 gt2
796 Posts
Dear god... 700 miles out of warranty if you ever mentioned to Kia ANYTHING about an engine noise or problem they most likely will prorate a replacement or cover it under warranty anyway... and all engines for sale have 1,100 miles on them.. I would take a breath and plan ahead before throwing money all over the place.

Reactions: noturbonoproblem
1 - 7 of 7 Posts