Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new here.

I just bought a used 2020 FE 6 speed with 4k miles on it yesterday. I just purchased some Hikari LED low beams on Amazon(will arrive tomorrow) and will test those with the CANBUS system.

But I'm finding for other bulbs, like the Lasfit kits, it specifically excludes this model from their compatibility list..

Has anyone found a good way to upgrade to LED turn signals or brake lights that won't hyper flash or throw an error on the dash without modifying the factory harness?

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem with brake light conversion to LED bulbs - unless the computer system checks for light bulb function - in that case you have to insert a resister. an example is the 20-21 Forte EX, GTLine, and GT fog lights - if you install LED bulbs the diagnostics at start up don't see 55 watts so you get a message to check your fogs. The LED bulbs draw 4 watts so you have to insert a 50 Watt resistor in the wiring.

The problem with blinkers is the "flasher" problem - LEDs don't create as much heat because of the low wattage so you have to insert resistors to increase the wattage. If you buy an aftermarket specialty light assembly with LED blinkers you find that they come with a box in the wiring - that is usually a resister to make it work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shouldn't be a problem with brake light conversion to LED bulbs. The problem with blinkers is the "flasher" problem - LEDs don't create as much heat because of the low wattage so you have to insert resistors to increase the wattage. If you buy an aftermarket specialty light assembly with LED blinkers you find that they come with a box in the wiring - that is usually a resister to make it work.
While I knew that, finding good bulbs is another thing and given where the turn signals are (low in the bumpers) I feel like a one piece unit without a seperate resistor box is the best option, any suggestions for good brands for bulbs? Or maybe someone has already tried this with some success?

Also does anyone know which bulbs give am error on the dash? Is it just headlights and turn signals or does Kia go as far as VW and let you know when license plate and marker bulbs are out?

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
While I knew that, finding good bulbs is another thing and given where the turn signals are (low in the bumpers) I feel like a one piece unit without a seperate resistor box is the best option, any suggestions for good brands for bulbs? Or maybe someone has already tried this with some success?
You can check Diode Dynamics - they can recommend a bulb. Diode Dynamics is a vendor on this site too.

Diode Dynamics | Kia Forte Forum (forteforums.com)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can check Diode Dynamics - they can recommend a bulb. Diode Dynamics is a vendor on this site too.

Diode Dynamics | Kia Forte Forum (forteforums.com)
So I had looked there and was disappointed to find that when I "Search by Model" no 2020 Forte model is in the list. I've also tried Lasfit who specifically says the 2019 turn signal bulbs aren't compatible with the 2020 CANBUS system. iJDMtoy has a similar story. Just looking for a reliable vendor that won't give me a dash error.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
The only way you're going to avoid a dash error with LED bulbs right now is by inserting a resistor.

There is someone else on this site that replaced their Blinkers in his 3rd Gen Forte...I'll see if I can find his post. Not having any luck finding the post!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, new here.

I just bought a used 2020 FE 6 speed with 4k miles on it yesterday. I just purchased some Hikari LED low beams on Amazon(will arrive tomorrow) and will test those with the CANBUS system.

But I'm finding for other bulbs, like the Lasfit kits, it specifically excludes this model from their compatibility list..

Has anyone found a good way to upgrade to LED turn signals or brake lights that won't hyper flash or throw an error on the dash without modifying the factory harness?
I have the full lasfit kit on my 2020 GT-Line i also had them on my 2019 LXS before it got in an accident. Have had no issues with them easy plug and play kit, and doesn't throw codes. I did order the ones someone recommended on here and i found the lasfit brighter.

·
Registered
89 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
This probably won't help that much as I made it for my Australian Cerato group. But essentially:

P21 = 1157
PY21W = 1156
Foglights for the non-GT are 1156 for the North American Forte

You want to buy LED bulbs that say they are CANBUS friendly, which will trick the system into thinking the bulb is a higher wattage than it is. However as I've found, a lot of these bulbs will still hyper flash for the signals despite claiming to be 'CANBUS friendly'.

I've found these bulbs for the signals to be very very bright but will not hyper flash. Not bought from North America eBay of course but the bulbs are the same.

For the license plate T10 bulbs (if the Fortes use T10), I've found this style bulb to be the brightest. There are brighter ones out there, but their long length won't fit into the bulb housing.

For the reverse light T15, I found this style to work quite well without any warnings:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have the full lasfit kit on my 2020 GT-Line i also had them on my 2019 LXS before it got in an accident. Have had no issues with them easy plug and play kit, and doesn't throw codes. I did order the ones someone recommended on here and i found the lasfit brighter.
Any idea why they say it won't work with the 2020? That would be the easiest option and would be more likely that the colors would all match.

And thanks Yossry, I never thought to look on Aliexpress, did the shipping take a while? I like the switchback style.

Also ty Arith, the charts are helpful for sure, and more options, I definitely feel less stuck with the incandescents now!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Any idea why they say it won't work with the 2020? That would be the easiest option and would be more likely that the colors would all match.

And thanks Yossry, I never thought to look on Aliexpress, did the shipping take a while? I like the switchback style.

Also ty Arith, the charts are helpful for sure, and more options, I definitely feel less stuck with the incandescents now!
The shipping to Saudi Arabia took around 15 days but it works without any issue it's bright have nice gold color and have no hyper flashing issue installed year ago

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all, new here.

If they are CANBUS compatible they should be fine. I installed some Farren LED's in my 2020 LXS. They were nice and bright but the cooling fans were loud. Really annoying when sitting at a stop light. I then installed Honcs 9005. Theae are fanless, wireless, and CANBUS compatible. They are awesome and no noise.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi all, new here.

I run an aftermarket accessories business and sell Lucas brand LEDs. If you use their L2 series bulbs for brake &turn you won’t have any issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all, new here.

All of the lights run through the CAN bus and must have resistor put in the circuits including the DRLs I did a 2019 and had to use them everywhere even the bulbs that say they are CAN bus ready will throw errors, i ualways get bulbs from superbrightleds.com and get the resistors on amazon

·
Registered
76 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem with brake light conversion to LED bulbs - unless the computer system checks for light bulb function - in that case you have to insert a resister. an example is the 20-21 Forte EX, GTLine, and GT fog lights - if you install LED bulbs the diagnostics at start up don't see 55 watts so you get a message to check your fogs. The LED bulbs draw 4 watts so you have to insert a 50 Watt resistor in the wiring.

The problem with blinkers is the "flasher" problem - LEDs don't create as much heat because of the low wattage so you have to insert resistors to increase the wattage. If you buy an aftermarket specialty light assembly with LED blinkers you find that they come with a box in the wiring - that is usually a resister to make it work.
Just a thought. When I changed out my halogen to LED signals on a motorcycle I had I was able to buy a digital turn signal relay. It was plug and play and no resisters needed. I was also inexpensive. I wonder if that’s a possibility with the forte

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
342 Posts
Just a thought. When I changed out my halogen to LED signals on a motorcycle I had I was able to buy a digital turn signal relay. It was plug and play and no resisters needed. I was also inexpensive. I wonder if that’s a possibility with the forte
For those who bought a bulb that wasn't Canbus friendly are it said Canbus friendly and still gives a warning, the resistor relay (or digital turn signal relay) is an answer. It sits in between the bulb and the plug. I had this on my Audi which was extremely picky when it came to LED bulbs. But it would always die on me every 6-9 months so buy extras!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts