Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up the GT M/T a couple weeks ago and I love the car but I haven’t found anywhere that specifically says what octane I should be filling up the 1.6T with, so I’ve been doing premium, but I was wondering whether that’s necessary or even beneficial?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Super regular for sure
Premium is a myth just to suck more money
It will only affects mpg slightly

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Just picked up the GT M/T a couple weeks ago and I love the car but I haven’t found anywhere that specifically says what octane I should be filling up the 1.6T with, so I’ve been doing premium, but I was wondering whether that’s necessary or even beneficial?
You only require Regular (87 Octane). Anything higher will just waste money. You get NO benefit from Mid or Premium (89 octane or higher).

·
Registered
339 Posts
I run premium even though I know what the manual saids. The manual also saids or higher. There are benefits using premium with the additives in them. Watch this:

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I run premium even though I know what the manual saids. The manual also saids or higher. There are benefits using premium with the additives in them. Watch this:
Looks like you need to re-watch that video you posted. He clearly said(at 10:26) to run what the manufacturer suggests. The manual says "and higher" because you shouldn't go below the octane rated (87) Higher won't hurt it but its providing zero added benefit. If you want to throw away your money like a fool, be my guest.

Reactions: lubar and Yossry

·
Registered
339 Posts
Looks like you need to re-watch that video you posted. He clearly said(at 10:26) to run what the manufacturer suggests. The manual says "and higher" because you shouldn't go below the octane rated (87) Higher won't hurt it but its providing zero added benefit. If you want to throw away your money like a fool, be my guest.
Well it looks like you didn't watch the video in whole. Where he talks about the benefits from premium gas with additives, mileage, detonation, keeping the injectors, valves healthier ect... LOL. So premium here is under 3$. Gas tank is 14 gallons that equals less than 40$ to fill that last me 1 1/2 - 2 weeks roughly. Most people when they start putting more miles on this car will use injector cleaners, injector/intake services from auto shops, gas additives brought from a store. Cost roughly is 3-10$ for the product, 20$-100$+ shop service (done once or twice a year) . Costing them way more than premium gas with additives which they could of "started" protection when they first bought the vehicle and using premium that comes with additives. This goes with Oil types as well. Im a auto mechanic and ive seen/know both sides of how people take care of thier vehicles and not take care of their vehicles from the start. When you say Im a fool for throwing away my money. Thats where you are wrong. People waste money on crap every day without thinking about spending "a little" more on money, ( premium here is about 1$ or less more than mid grade by the way (pocket/or in car change just collecting dust lol) and paying attention to thier transportation wellbeing so it maintains great running shape. Using premium gas with todays additives in it from the start plays a great factor of the wellbeing of your transportation for the future. Im not telling you should only use premium. Always go by what the manufacture recommends or higher. Keep in mind the benefits premium with todays additives can offer from the start for new vehicles and for older vehicles aswell. Additives in premium gas is a key element as you can see above. Saying there is no/zero benefits in using premium is false information, especially when most gas stations (here) thier premium comes with additives.

I actually own this car and plan to keep/maintain the life and performance like it was new in the years to come like I do with all my cars.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
With my car they say to use "Top Tier" regular gas. Top Tier has more detergent and will hopefully minimize carbon buildup. I always try to use Top Tier and my car is still running great at 110k miles and I have the same 1.6T.
TOP TIER™ Gasoline Brands

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Well it looks like you didn't watch the video in whole. Where he talks about the benefits from premium gas with additives, mileage, detonation, keeping the injectors, valves healthier ect... LOL. So premium here is under 3$. Gas tank is 14 gallons that equals less than 40$ to fill that last me 1 1/2 - 2 weeks roughly. Most people when they start putting more miles on this car will use injector cleaners, injector/intake services from auto shops, gas additives brought from a store. Cost roughly is 3-10$ for the product, 20$-100$+ shop service (done once or twice a year) . Costing them way more than premium gas with additives which they could of "started" protection when they first bought the vehicle and using premium that comes with additives. This goes with Oil types as well. Im a auto mechanic and ive seen/know both sides of how people take care of thier vehicles and not take care of their vehicles from the start. When you say Im a fool for throwing away my money. Thats where you are wrong. People waste money on crap every day without thinking about spending "a little" more on money, ( premium here is about 1$ or less more than mid grade by the way (pocket/or in car change just collecting dust lol) and paying attention to thier transportation wellbeing so it maintains great running shape. Using premium gas with todays additives in it from the start plays a great factor of the wellbeing of your transportation for the future. Im not telling you should only use premium. Always go by what the manufacture recommends or higher. Keep in mind the benefits premium with todays additives can offer from the start for new vehicles and for older vehicles aswell. Additives in premium gas is a key element as you can see above. Saying there is no/zero benefits in using premium is false information, especially when most gas stations (here) thier premium comes with additives.

I actually own this car and plan to keep/maintain the life and performance like it was new in the years to come like I do with all my cars.
All gasoline in the US (regular as well as premium) is required to have a specific amount of cleaning additives. Do premium versions have more? Possibly. Is it cleaning more? No. It's marketing done by gas companies to get you to pay more for their product that nets them more profit. It's like using a whole bottle of glass cleaner on your windshield. A couple of sprays are good enough to clean it. Spraying the whole bottle on it doesn't make it cleaner.

It's your money, you're free to waste it all you want.

·
Registered
339 Posts
All gasoline in the US (regular as well as premium) is required to have a specific amount of cleaning additives. Do premium versions have more? Possibly. Is it cleaning more? No. It's marketing done by gas companies to get you to pay more for their product that nets them more profit. It's like using a whole bottle of glass cleaner on your windshield. A couple of sprays are good enough to clean it. Spraying the whole bottle on it doesn't make it cleaner.

It's your money, you're free to waste it all you want.
Its still obvious that you have no clue in what you are talking about in this field. "It's marketing" make you pay more only LOL. Do you live your life like this? Do you actually work on cars, do powertrain break downs including the fuel components? Have hands on knowledge on this like I do? Which mentioned above. Plus comparing this to how much glass clear u put on ur windshield is hilarious. Your statement above about premium having zero benefits just proves my point you shouldn't be even posting in this topic. I can only imagine how much false information you have told/posted to people.....?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Its still obvious that you have no clue in what you are talking about in this field. "It's marketing" make you pay more only LOL. Do you live your life like this? Do you actually work on cars, do powertrain break downs including the fuel components? Have hands on knowledge on this like I do? Which mentioned above. Plus comparing this to how much glass clear u put on ur windshield is hilarious. Your statement above about premium having zero benefits just proves my point you shouldn't be even posting in this topic. I can only imagine how much false information you have told/posted to people.....?
I've been working on cars before you were born skippy. You get ZERO benefit from using premium in a car designed for regular fuel. Period, end of discussion.

Educate yourself:

·
Registered
339 Posts
I've been working on cars before you were born skippy. You get ZERO benefit from using premium in a car designed for regular fuel. Period, end of discussion.

Educate yourself:

Funny how people like you say/use "ive work on cars longer than you" That statement just puts a date on your self, makes people like you more stubborn with criticism and not accepting change, not working/dealing well with someone that actually has better knowledge and hands on experience than you with less years in field. There are many of people with less years working on cars than you that can have better knowledge and car skill sets period. All we got here from you now is internet links to post to read because you have no real knowledge about this topic. Most of these people writing these have no hands on experience on cars and you wouldn't want them working on your car. At least I posted a video that explains better than your links. Must be a year difference right? Lol. Still stating premium zero benefits is still false information. Im not saying everyone should use premium only either. Getting back on subject.This car requires mid grade or higher and even though premium is not required it does have internal benefits even if it is a small benefit. Also think about the long run wellbeing of your vehicle not only with the gas you choose.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Funny how people like you say/use "ive work on cars longer than you" That statement just puts a date on your self, makes people like you more stubborn with criticism and not accepting change, not working/dealing well with someone that actually has better knowledge and hands on experience than you with less years in field. There are many of people with less years working on cars than you that can have better knowledge and car skill sets period. All we got here from you now is internet links to post to read because you have no real knowledge about this topic. Most of these people writing these have no hands on experience on cars and you wouldn't want them working on your car. At least I posted a video that explains better than your links. Must be a year difference right? Lol. Still stating premium zero benefits is still false information. Im not saying everyone should use premium only either. Getting back on subject.This car requires mid grade or higher and even though premium is not required it does have internal benefits even if it is a small benefit. Also think about the long run wellbeing of your vehicle not only with the gas you choose.
You're the one that's stubborn and can't accept change. Years ago there was benefit to premium but not today with modern cars and modern fuels.

You're wrong. Accept it and move on.

·
Registered
339 Posts
You're the one that's stubborn and can't accept change. Years ago there was benefit to premium but not today with modern cars and modern fuels.

You're wrong. Accept it and move on.
Im the one that's subborn and cant accept change LOL. How things are continuing to evolve in gas,oil, ect.. There will always be new benefits in premium fuels over regular and mid. No matter how small it is, its still a benefit that will be seen in the long run in the mechanical automotive field. Still im not saying use premium only either for all vehicles. Still wrong old man on zero benefits. Dont let this topic get to your health.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Im the one that's subborn and cant accept change LOL. How things are continuing to evolve in gas,oil, ect.. There will always be new benefits in premium fuels over regular and mid. No matter how small it is, its still a benefit that will be seen in the long run in the mechanical automotive field. Still im not saying use premium only either for all vehicles. Still wrong old man on zero benefits. Dont let this topic get to your health.
Read and educate yourself. You do know how to read, right? Somehow I don't think so because you refuse to comprehend the truth. Read the links I posted:

Premium vs. Regular Gas Explained - TrueCar Blog

Why pay good money for something you don’t need? Premium gasoline costs about fifty cents more a gallon than regular and has no positive or negative effect on vehicles that can’t take advantage of it. In a consumer notice, the Federal Trade Commission, notes: “In most cases, using a higher-octane gasoline than your owner’s manual recommends offers absolutely no benefit. It won’t make your car perform better, go faster, get better mileage or run cleaner.”

The detergent additives in your gasoline are far more important than the octane level, as they help clean your engine and optimize performance. Each retailer offers a different blend of additives, used across all grades. For example, you can find Chevron’s Techron in both their regular and premium gas.
https://www.cars.com/articles/if-my...od-to-use-premium-occasionally-1420684149356/

If your engine runs fine on regular, filling it with premium is unlikely to boost acceleration or fuel economy by more than insignificant amounts. No matter what you’ve heard, premium-grade gasoline won’t do more to clean deposits from your fuel injectors or other parts of the fuel system because today’s regular gas contains the same detergent additives.
Save Money and Stop Buying Premium Gasoline | Edmunds

Drivers used to buy a tank of premium gas every once in a while to clean their engines. Years ago, premium gas contained more detergents and other additives to stop carbon deposits. But experts say that now, because of government regulations aimed at cutting emissions, most major brands of gasoline have plenty of additives in all grades to both protect engines and cut pollution.
Is Premium Gas Better for Your Car? | Esurance

Unless your ride requires it, premium fuel won't make your car run better. And yes, there is a difference between your automaker recommending premium fuel as opposed to establishing a requirement; even vehicles that are recommended to run on premium usually don't perform noticeably different than when they're fed regular unleaded gas.

The truth is, the vast majority of cars will do just fine with regular unleaded. In fact, plus- or premium-grade fuels are unlikely to affect your engine's performance or resistance to wear-and-tear in any significant way.
https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/best-cars-blog/2016/08/premium-vs-regular-gasoline

Higher octane doesn’t always give better performance. Performance depends on the engine’s technology, in addition to a number of other under-the-hood factors.

Using a higher octane gasoline will not help clean your engine. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency requires all commercially sold gasoline to contain engine cleaning detergent additives that can help extend the life of your vehicle. This means that your engine will be cleaned the same by 87 octane fuel as it will by 93 octane fuel, so don't feel that it’s necessary to treat your car to a higher grade.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Read and educate yourself. You do know how to read, right? Somehow I don't think so because you refuse to comprehend the truth. Read the links I posted:
More links LOL. Im going to guess you get your knowledge only from links and not from hands on experience knowledge. Wow is all i got to say about you posting more links to read. Must be how you live your life now in this current time as well. Its absolutely pointless to continue posting back to you if all you are going to is post links now. ( NOVA SENDS MORE LINKS TO MAKE SURE HE IS THE MOST KNOWLEDGEABLE OLD MAN ON FUELS BECAUSE OF LINKS HE READ AND FOR SAYING HAVING MORE YEARS WORKING ON CARS THEN ME THE "SKIPPY".). This has been fun.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
More links LOL. Im going to guess you get your knowledge only from links and not from hands on experience knowledge. Wow is all i got to say about you posting more links to read. Must be how you live your life now in this current time as well. Its absolutely pointless to continue posting back to you if all you are going to is post links now. ( NOVA SENDS MORE LINKS TO MAKE SURE HE IS THE MOST KNOWLEDGEABLE OLD MAN ON FUELS BECAUSE OF LINKS HE READ AND FOR SAYING HAVING MORE YEARS WORKING ON CARS THEN ME THE "SKIPPY".). This has been fun.
Lets see, YOU were the one that posted a video first. SO I guess YOU get your knowledge only from "YouTube mechanics" and not from hands on experience knowledge.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Lets see, YOU were the one that posted a video first. SO I guess YOU get your knowledge only from "YouTube mechanics" and not from hands on experience knowledge.
This where i tell the old man he has failed.
1. I posted the video because videos are relevant to todays times and "can" be more educational than reading pages of links putting poeple to sleep like old man stories before we even get to the end. 2. I also mentioned im auto mechanic in one of my posts. 3. Your post just now proves alot about your reading and memory skills.
I can say i read everything you posted throughly before posting something back. Time to end our back to back posting. Have a good day sir.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
This where i tell the old man he has failed.
1. I posted the video because videos are relevant to todays times and "can" be more educational than reading pages of links putting poeple to sleep like old man stories before we even get to the end.
So you're saying YouTube videos are better than reading?
Sad

I can say i read everything you posted throughly [sic] before posting something back. Time to end our back to back posting. Have a good day sir.
If you read everything I posted thoroughly and you still believe you are correct then reading is not your problem, comprehending is.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
? You still failing to read throughly [sic] and correctly in what i posted. ?. Yet you tell me I dont comprehend.
I did read "thoroughly" this is what you posted:
I run premium even though I know what the manual saids. The manual also saids or higher. There are benefits using premium with the additives in them.
This is what I posted:

Premium vs. Regular Gas Explained - TrueCar Blog

“In most cases, using a higher-octane gasoline than your owner’s manual recommends offers absolutely no benefit. It won’t make your car perform better, go faster, get better mileage or run cleaner.”
https://www.cars.com/articles/if-my...od-to-use-premium-occasionally-1420684149356/

No matter what you’ve heard, premium-grade gasoline won’t do more to clean deposits from your fuel injectors or other parts of the fuel system because today’s regular gas contains the same detergent additives.
Save Money and Stop Buying Premium Gasoline | Edmunds

But experts say that now, because of government regulations aimed at cutting emissions, most major brands of gasoline have plenty of additives in all grades to both protect engines and cut pollution.
Is Premium Gas Better for Your Car? | Esurance

The truth is, the vast majority of cars will do just fine with regular unleaded. In fact, plus- or premium-grade fuels are unlikely to affect your engine's performance or resistance to wear-and-tear in any significant way.
https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/best-cars-blog/2016/08/premium-vs-regular-gasoline

Using a higher octane gasoline will not help clean your engine. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency requires all commercially sold gasoline to contain engine cleaning detergent additives that can help extend the life of your vehicle. This means that your engine will be cleaned the same by 87 octane fuel as it will by 93 octane fuel, so don't feel that it’s necessary to treat your car to a higher grade.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts