Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kia Forte Gt
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, recent owner of a new Forte GT with the 7 speed dct looking for help on a couple issues with the car. Almost 3k miles on it, love the car, awesome currant red color and alot of fun to drive howevee there are some really annoying things about it. 1st thing is the cold starts, something is buzzing/rattling in the engine area and when you first drive for a few minutes and let off the gas youll hear a faint but noticeable buzzing rattle sound that stops each time you tap the gas a bit but starts again if you are off the gas. Happens every cold start and each time you come back to the car after a few hours. It goes away after a few minutes but it is definately not a sound a new car should make. I have been to a few dealers to try and get it diagnosed but they both have claimed not to hear it, and I even test drove with a tech, but on the busy street we drove It wasnt hearable and it didnt help that they messed with the car before i arrived. Even in parkand revving it can be heard. Also I have noticed a new issue is that when accelerating with a good amount a loud click noise is heard up front. Im not sure what that is caused by. I may try using premium gas next fill up but I am using 87 gas in it currently which is what it ststrs to use or higher. Anyone having these issues? I really want to like the car and enjoy it for the next 10 years.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Hello, recent owner of a new Forte GT with the 7 speed dct looking for help on a couple issues with the car. Almost 3k miles on it, love the car, awesome currant red color and alot of fun to drive howevee there are some really annoying things about it. 1st thing is the cold starts, something is buzzing/rattling in the engine area and when you first drive for a few minutes and let off the gas youll hear a faint but noticeable buzzing rattle sound that stops each time you tap the gas a bit but starts again if you are off the gas. Happens every cold start and each time you come back to the car after a few hours. It goes away after a few minutes but it is definately not a sound a new car should make. I have been to a few dealers to try and get it diagnosed but they both have claimed not to hear it, and I even test drove with a tech, but on the busy street we drove It wasnt hearable and it didnt help that they messed with the car before i arrived. Even in parkand revving it can be heard. Also I have noticed a new issue is that when accelerating with a good amount a loud click noise is heard up front. Im not sure what that is caused by. I may try using premium gas next fill up but I am using 87 gas in it currently which is what it ststrs to use or higher. Anyone having these issues? I really want to like the car and enjoy it for the next 10 years.
Take your trusty cell phone and in the morning record the sound both with the hood opened and closed and inside the car. You might be hearing clicking from the engine but hard to tell without hearing it.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Kia Forte Gt
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take your trusty cell phone and in the morning record the sound both with the hood opened and closed and inside the car. You might be heading clicking from the engine but hard to tell without hearing it.

Tried that already, too much wind noise. I guess I could have someone standing outside and record, may pick it up better.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Forte - Nu 1.8 MPI - Aurora Black Pearl
16 Posts
Hello! First of all, congratulations on your new Forte GT and welcome to the forum!😁
Has this buzzing or rattle noise always been there since you bought the car, or has it recently started?
Not trying to be obvious, but is the engine oil at the correct level?
Unless your Owner's Manual calls for or recommends the use of Premium Gas, it really isn't necessary and likely is not causing your car's noises.
The good news is you're under factory warranty. Enjoy your car, but keep an open ear (and eye) for any changes in symptoms or noise.

Server is right; recording it on video is a great first step in assessing the issue. If you can, record a video with the car sounding normally, then record one at cold start when it's likely to make that noise.

Recently a routine under-hood inspection on my 2016 Forte revealed PAG Oil (compressor oil) leaking from my A/C Compressor, but the A/C still worked fine. I took a video of it & went to the dealer. The service advisor looked under the hood and said: "I don't see any leaks; your a/c works good. If you drop it off & we find nothing, I have to charge you a $145 diagnostic fee." I then showed them the video which clearly showed a very leaky compressor. Long story short, 30 minuets later they found the A/C Compressor to be faulty and I got a new replacement for free.

Off topic, but some good advice regarding maintenance: If I'm not mistaken your Forte GT has the 1.6 Litre Turbo with GDI.
In that case, don't listen to people that say: "YoU CaN gO 15,000 MilEs bETwEen OiL cHaNgEs."
Any turbo engine with gasoline direct injection is naturally more stressed and has higher internal pressures. Therefore, clean engine oil is crucial for longevity. I personally would change the oil every 4K or 5K miles with quality synthetic oil and an OEM oil filter. Oil is cheap, engines are expensive.

Good luck, and please update us if you can. The more information is shared, the more people it helps.(y):)

·
Registered
2016 Kia Forte - Nu 1.8 MPI - Aurora Black Pearl
16 Posts
I was just thinking.... your Forte GT most likely has a Turbo GDI engine. If that is the case.......
I heard the fuel injectors on Gasoline Direct Injection engines are relatively loud and can make ticking noises, especially at cold start; which is normal.
As for the buzzing noise; maybe it is the sound of the high pressure fuel pump operating under the hood?? (Just a guess)
Anyone with more knowledge please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.(y)

I'm not saying the noises are normal, but is it possible that it is? 🤔

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey, mine has a rattle around the fan shroud at idle in park. Could be what the noise is. Pretty sure it's related to the hard idle the car has and noticeable vibration the engine has at low idle. I was at the dealer and they couldn't do anything lol. Kia would have to issue a update to the ecm I'm sure. The lady told me they had a hard idle recall on older kia Forte models so, I'm sure we'll be next in line someday lol. Pop the hood and hold the shroud around the radiator fan towards the radiator and see if it eases up. That'll at least let you know if it's what's causing the noise.

Good luck,

Ben

·
Registered
2020 Kia Forte Gt
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It has to be transmission related as when I first start driving after a cold start and lift off gas and and put it in neutral as the noise is happening it will stop. It also stops right as you are breaking up to a stop when the gear is disengaged. Cold clutch noise? It does go away after a few minutes, but its just an odd noise. Havent had chance yet to video it. I took the car on a couple hundred mile road trip and it did great.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Forte Gt
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I dont think mine does that. This noise is a metallic swirling sound. Ill try and record soon, been also working to death as well. Love the car I just dont like some of its noises. Slight rattle near the screen too inside drivin me nuts as well. I only have 2950 miles

·
Registered
2020 Forte GT
555 Posts
Honestly take it to a dealership you can trust or to a different one if you have issues with ur current one. Vechicle is under warranty so dont hesitate to just pull up be respectful and explain to them your issues or concerns. No service charges either. Keep records of any issues from the dealership for reason ur are bring it in for. Helps to have video of issues or audio recordings.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hey, mine has a rattle around the fan shroud at idle in park. Could be what the noise is. Pretty sure it's related to the hard idle the car has and noticeable vibration the engine has at low idle. I was at the dealer and they couldn't do anything lol. Kia would have to issue a update to the ecm I'm sure. The lady told me they had a hard idle recall on older kia Forte models so, I'm sure we'll be next in line someday lol. Pop the hood and hold the shroud around the radiator fan towards the radiator and see if it eases up. That'll at least let you know if it's what's causing the noise.

Good luck,

Ben
Mine has started doing this as well now that the weather turned cold here in PA. Sounds cheap.

After 2700 miles I also have a belt squeal that starts about 45 sec after cold start and subsides after about 30 more seconds.

I like the way the car drives and rides, but I gotta say it sounds like crap cold starting in winter.

I'll see what they dealer can do...

·
Registered
665 Posts
Mine has started doing this as well now that the weather turned cold here in PA. Sounds cheap.

After 2700 miles I also have a belt squeal that starts about 45 sec after cold start and subsides after about 30 more seconds.

I like the way the car drives and rides, but I gotta say it sounds like crap cold starting in winter.

I'll see what they dealer can do...
Yup same belt squeal on cold start. Shouldn't be happening this early.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
5,193 Posts
Here's a clip from mine. Does yours sound similar?

I would definitely take your car to the dealer and show them this video - something is loose or hitting something...because when you push on the shroud the sound stops.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts