Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a vibration in the steering like a warped rotor when using my cruise control at highway speed. When I use the deceleration and it tries to slow the car down it vibrates. Disengage the cruise and it stops. Seems like when the cruise is slowing the car that it must be applying the brakes and it's like the rotors are warped. Less than 9,000 miles. Taking it to dealer to check out. Any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
4,144 Posts
No clue... Let us know what they find!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well got it back. Replaced both front rotors under warranty. Also a noise in steering column wound up being a worm gear or something. Replaced under warranty. All good now except fur the ridiculous turbo lag. First and last turbo for me!

·
Registered
2020 Cerato GT
568 Posts
Well got it back. Replaced both front rotors under warranty. Also a noise in steering column wound up being a worm gear or something. Replaced under warranty. All good now except fur the ridiculous turbo lag. First and last turbo for me!
Get a throttle controller. Helps with dead spots and lag tremendously.

·
Registered
2020 Cerato GT
568 Posts
Thanks for the tip. Where do you get one if those? Impact on warranty?
Shouldn't have any impact on warranty because it only adjusts the sensitivity of the accelerator pedal. But it's available on eBay here in Australia. Not sure if there are any sellers in North America.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
4,144 Posts
Pedal Commander | Throttle Response Controller | PC71 Bluetooth

Do you drive your GT in "Smart" or "Sport" mode?

If you drive in "Smart" mode to get the best gas mileage then you're going to have more "lag".

"Sport" driving mode will reduce gas mileage but will give you more response.

Reactions: Arith

·
Registered
2020 Cerato GT
568 Posts
Do you drive your GT in "Smart" or "Sport" mode?

If you drive in "Smart" mode to get the best gas mileage then you're going to have more "lag".

"Sport" driving mode will reduce gas mileage but will give you more response.
I found that Smart mode tends to get very jerky because of the sudden change back and forth. I just select the setting I'm most comfortable while in 'Comfort' or just normal. And then when I want to go a bit nuts I'll throw it into 'Sports'.

But I found that Sports mode tends to get a bit annoying after a while because all it does is hold the gear longer. Sort of like my old Audi A3 when it's in Sports mode.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well the saga continues! Just took my GT to the dealer today with the exact same condition with the rotors that are already warped after 3500 miles! Only grinds/vibrates when going down a long steep grade. This time the dealer denied it and said the last time was a one time goodwill replacement when the service ticket clearly said they were replaced under warranty.

Has anybody else had your rotors warp prematurely as a result of driving on steep grades? I think it’s a design flaw with the creation of the GT.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Forte LX
441 Posts
It's the cheap steel they use in the rotors. No matter how often you replace them, it sounds like with where you live, you'll have to live with the vibration or find better quality rotors and replace them yourself. Good luck with that as most rotors nowadays are made in China with the cheap Chinese steel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's the cheap steel they use in the rotors. No matter how often you replace them, it sounds like with where you live, you'll have to live with the vibration or find better quality rotors and replace them yourself. Good luck with that as most rotors nowadays are made in China with the cheap Chinese steel.
I figured that was the case. Told the field tech that and he laughed under his breath. Waiting on call from dealership general manager before I file a complaint with Kia. How they replace then under warranty and then 3400 miles later say its not and to use engine braking is ridiculous in my opinion. You're probably right on living with it until I can trade it in. Just won't use cruise when coming down the mountain.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Forte LX
441 Posts
As long as it's under warranty, I'd use the transmission downshifting in order to help slow it down. I live in a very hilly area of north Alabama and even though my car has 119,000 miles on it, I use the transmission on the 6% degree downhills here. I bought rotors and ceramic pads off Amazon earlier this year and swapped them out on both the front and rear. Almost no dust covering up my hubcaps now and much better brakes. BUT, the rotors were made in China and I'm expecting to have to change them again in a couple of years. I don't expect much out of Chinese crap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts