Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are their any known cold air intakes for the new GT and it's 1.6L turbo? Also would that void the warranty?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looking for the same someone help an what kind of blow off valve do i need to the turbo ???? Post links asap looking for Injen intake 3”

·
Registered
58 Posts
One of my buddies has a GT 2020 and we’re working with a company in developing a CAI for both 1.6T and 2.0L if you’re interested shoot me a message.

·
Registered
58 Posts
We’re in the middle of getting it handled with the company. Production is going to start in December. DM me if you’re interested

·
Registered
51 Posts
Where does the OEM 2019+ Forte airbox pull its air from?

With all the aftermarket interest in CAI over the last decade or so, a lot of OEM have put snorkels from the airbox through the fender or around in front of the radiator for example for a factory CAI functionality.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Where does the OEM 2019+ Forte airbox pull its air from?

With all the aftermarket interest in CAI over the last decade or so, a lot of OEM have put snorkels from the airbox through the fender or around in front of the radiator for example for a factory CAI functionality.
The Kia has a snorkel too picking it up from the front of the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
One of my buddies has a GT 2020 and we’re working with a company in developing a CAI for both 1.6T and 2.0L if you’re interested shoot me a message.
What is the company’s name, and how much will the kit cost? When will it be available for purchase?

·
Registered
58 Posts
What is the company’s name, and how much will the kit cost? When will it be available for purchase?
eVilla Motorsports. Cost is still not known and both my buddy and I are sending in our cars for R&D early December. DM me and I can give you more information

·
Registered
6 Posts
Evils is a good company but also you can check out tork motor sports, sxth element and 845 motor sports. They have experience with the first generation 1.6t so I imagine the new cars will only require slight modifications.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Most factory intakes are cold air already, and most cold air aftermarkets are actually warm air. It's hilarious. There's better ways to waste money imo

·
Registered
63 Posts
Most factory intakes are cold air already, and most cold air aftermarkets are actually warm air. It's hilarious. There's better ways to waste money imo
That's true the only benefit is more air flow no restrictions and this also will vary from car to another

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
That's true the only benefit is more air flow no restrictions and this also will vary from car to another

I think you would have to qualify it as "possibly" more air flow. And in a stock car, especially one with a small na motor, it doesn't matter. A modern car rolls off the line with an intake that flows more than the engine is physically possibly capable of using. And the biggest restriction remains, the throttle body itself. Remove the intake entirely and you still won't flow and more air than the TB allowed before.

If I have a built motor that pulls more air than the stock can provide, different story.

But we're talking fi here. So (stock) we take outside air that is as dense and cool as possible which gives the greatest energy load possible. Compress it, heat it, which lowers it's density and it's energy possibility. Then we feed it through an intercooler to cool it and make it more dense, and then force feed it to the engine where the computer factors in density and decided how much fuel to inject, and voila, more hp than na.

But an intercooler can only do so much. The hotter the air you feed it, the hotter the air coming out of it. The hotter the air they the lower the density, which lowers the amount of fuel being injected, which lowers your possible hp and mpg.

So any intake that pulls from a heated air source like the engine bay is at best probably negating any possible improvements for restrictions etc being removed.

I've done a few Cai over the years, mainly for looks and I didn't mind throwing away a few hundred at the time. I learned early on how much if a waste most bolt on parts are on a modern engine. And I lived where it's omg cold much of the year and pulling in heated air can be a good thing sometimes. I'm on my 2nd turbo car since I moved to Florida, no way in heck am I going to pull air from under the hood. That works be utter madness no matter how nifty the parts look.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think you would have to qualify it as "possibly" more air flow. And in a stock car, especially one with a small na motor, it doesn't matter. A modern car rolls off the line with an intake that flows more than the engine is physically possibly capable of using. And the biggest restriction remains, the throttle body itself. Remove the intake entirely and you still won't flow and more air than the TB allowed before.

If I have a built motor that pulls more air than the stock can provide, different story.

But we're talking fi here. So (stock) we take outside air that is as dense and cool as possible which gives the greatest energy load possible. Compress it, heat it, which lowers it's density and it's energy possibility. Then we feed it through an intercooler to cool it and make it more dense, and then force feed it to the engine where the computer factors in density and decided how much fuel to inject, and voila, more hp than na.

But an intercooler can only do so much. The hotter the air you feed it, the hotter the air coming out of it. The hotter the air they the lower the density, which lowers the amount of fuel being injected, which lowers your possible hp and mpg.

So any intake that pulls from a heated air source like the engine bay is at best probably negating any possible improvements for restrictions etc being removed.

I've done a few Cai over the years, mainly for looks and I didn't mind throwing away a few hundred at the time. I learned early on how much if a waste most bolt on parts are on a modern engine. And I lived where it's omg cold much of the year and pulling in heated air can be a good thing sometimes. I'm on my 2nd turbo car since I moved to Florida, no way in heck am I going to pull air from under the hood. That works be utter madness no matter how nifty the parts look.
You are 100% correct

·
Registered
51 Posts
I agree completely, and is why I asked the leading question above about whether the Forte already has an OEM "cold air" intake... ;)

Don't get me wrong though, I have and still do some things for fun and aesthetics that in reality likely offer no functional benefit or maybe are even mildly detrimental. But that's OK as long as one understands.

In the case of most modern cars, I doubt there is a need to "add" CAI, but in some cases it may be true that a well designed aftermarket CAI solution could be less restrictive in the context of other modifications. But testing and tuning would have to bear that out, and that takes time and effort.

But OTOH, it's always a bit questionable if an assortment of random parts designed independently by single persons or small tuner shops are going to work well together and outperform something designed by a team of engineers spending years and millions of $, except perhaps for a very narrowly defined performance goal.

As always YMMV, and all that being said... I still added a "cool looking" cone filter "CAI" to my XJR some years ago, when I'm sure it is actually ingesting more warm air than the OEM solution :rolleyes: ... for fun

P.S.

In my case, I bought the Forte as a commuter for my 100 mile/day drive to work, for reliability, warranty, and fuel economy. So I won't be adding anything that sacrifices any of those characteristics. But that isn't everyone's goal of course, and it will be interesting over time to see what other owners with different priorities discover about the potential for this series of Forte.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I agree completely, and is why I asked the leading question above about whether the Forte already has an OEM "cold air" intake... ;)

Don't get me wrong though, I have and still do some things for fun and aesthetics that in reality likely offer no functional benefit or maybe are even mildly detrimental. But that's OK as long as one understands.

In the case of most modern cars, I doubt there is a need to "add" CAI, but in some cases it may be true that a well designed aftermarket CAI solution could be less restrictive in the context of other modifications. But testing and tuning would have to bear that out, and that takes time and effort.

But OTOH, it's always a bit questionable if an assortment of random parts designed independently by single persons or small tuner shops are going to work well together and outperform something designed by a team of engineers spending years and millions of $, except perhaps for a very narrowly defined performance goal.

As always YMMV, and all that being said... I still added a "cool looking" cone filter "CAI" to my XJR some years ago, when I'm sure it is actually ingesting more warm air than the OEM solution :rolleyes: ... for fun

P.S.

In my case, I bought the Forte as a commuter for my 100 mile/day drive to work, for reliability, warranty, and fuel economy. So I won't be adding anything that sacrifices any of those characteristics. But that isn't everyone's goal of course, and it will be interesting over time to see what other owners with different priorities discover about the potential for this series of Forte.
I traded in a bmw 335i, twin turbo, about 400hp at the wheels. All the 'work' to it was at the computer level. It was fun, could hit triple digits pretty easy before I ran out of on ramp.

If I babied it, really babied it, I got 19-21mpg. So it spent 99.9999% of it's road time using 20hp because fill-ups at 93 octane gets expensive fast and having fun dropped mpg like a rock.

I really fought hard against the Kia because it only has 200hp and less up is not the way to go for me. But after thinking about how I drive the beemer vs how I like to drive the beemer, it makes sense. If I baby it a bit and leave it in smart, 31ish mpg, actual numbers. If I flip to sport and drive it harder, 29. So I get to use 150-200hp more often now then I got to use 100hp before, and still do a $20 fill.
I've only got about 2500 on the clock so far, haven't gotten too nuts on the throttle. After the first oil change I'll probably ring it out a bit.
I've popped the hood I think once and verified there is actually an engine there. If things go well that will be about the end of my engine bay time. It's fun enough and it's never going to be a race car so why bother? I save that time for my toys.

I didn't notice where it pulled air from. I'll try to remember to do it later.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yep, it's already cai. It's pulling from the front grill same as my 335i. High pressure area. Between that and the turbo actually pulling air I don't think you'll see any real gains. I didn't take the box apart to look for restrictions and I'm not a huge fan of one of the bends, but there's likely not enough that can be changed to matter.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I dont understand what they are saying but they do show the GT with a name brand cold air intake getting air from the same lactation as stock. Looks like with less restrictions. Ill watch the video in detail after work. The GT sedan and the GT 5 will most likely be the same under the hood. The cost though may not be worth it to people. If anyone can translate that part that would be cool.

Screenshot_20200108-130534_YouTube.jpg

·
Registered
52 Posts
"this idiot spent 30k yen on a cheap piece of pipe and junk air filter.". Paraphrasing of course...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts