Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to post and see if anyone else has experienced a similar problem.

I purchased a new 2021 Forte GT a few months back and love the power of the manual transmission. It has been a fun car to drive. However, it has currently been at the dealer for exactly one month now because they are unable to figure out what is causing a misfiring.

I got in one day and hardly any power was getting to the engine and it sounded horrendous. Coupled with a check engine light, I had to have it towed about 30 miles to the dealer.

They have replaced the fuel injector and a few other small items (plugs, etc), but cannot diagnose the problem.

Would appreciate hearing from anyone who has experienced this same problem. Respectfully, no, I don't know what they've tried and would prefer not receiving responses from those theorizing on the culprit. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this issue my Kia dealership has never seen before.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hard to say without the car here.

If they replaced the plugs and found nothing okay. They replaced the injector (that's weird) and didn't solve it. Did they try replacing the o2 sensor?

Personally it's not easy to diagnose stuff online but experience tells me that it's likely something simple if the car idles smoothly otherwise.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Dkmm, you said the check engine light came on - what was/were the trouble code(s)? Knowing those would help theorize what the problem could be!

I say theorize because without getting hands on that's all anyone on-line could provide.

·
Registered
2020 KIA Forte GT Manual
218 Posts
Over 18k miles. Sorry, but no. Good luck and hopefully it gets resolved quickly.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
208 Posts
Over 18k miles. Sorry, but no. Good luck and hopefully it gets resolved quickly.

Has the dealership checked/ replaced ALL plug wires? Very hard to believe that no trouble codes have led them to the issue for the misfiring issue. Perhaps it’s not a electrical problem, and it may be a fuel delivery issue. Maybe the dealership is keeping you in the dark as to what the true problem is and keeping it hush hush from the general public. Keep the forum up to date on this issue...I’m curious... and I’m sure other’s on site are as well. Hope the dealership gave you a loaner vehicle for all the trouble your having with a virtually new car. 🤔

·
Registered
2020 KIA Forte GT Manual
218 Posts
Has the dealership checked/ replaced ALL plug wires? Very hard to believe that no trouble codes have led them to the issue for the misfiring issue. Perhaps it’s not a electrical problem, and it may be a fuel delivery issue. Maybe the dealership is keeping you in the dark as to what the true problem is and keeping it hush hush from the general public. Keep the forum up to date on this issue...I’m curious... and I’m sure other’s on site are as well. Hope the dealership gave you a loaner vehicle for all the trouble your having with a virtually new car.
Who, me? Or dkmrn? My car is fine since i got it.

·
Registered
2010 Kia Forte Koup SX 2.4L 6MT Theta 2, Titanium silver metallic.
749 Posts
Check the fuses & relays. On a 2007 Scion TC (rebuilt/salvaged titled car) the rpm's fluctuated/surged horribly, the headers would get red hot & never got out of limp mode.

20mph was the fastest it went. Didn't even have to press the gas pedal. I had checked installed new NGK iridium spark plugs, new ignition coils/packs, new radiator coolant/Antifreeze fluid, new transmission fluid, new engine 5w30, new transmission filter, new engine oil filter, new cabin & air filters, new maf sensor, cleaned throttle body. Still never helped.

I had took a rest, was playing some Need for speed heat, then watched F&F 6. Got to the scene about the simplest things can cause such trouble (spark plug in his hands).

Went to the fuse boxes & checked all of them. It was a 10amp fuse to the throttle body. ETC (Electronic Throttle Control) I changed that problems went away.

·
Registered
749 Posts
The TC was misfiring. I did the while car (engine) is on & checked each ignition coil by removing each one & listening for rpm drop/stalling = good ignition coil. No drops/stalling when removed = bad/no good & replace that ignition coil pack. Will throw DTC's/codes but can be erased when the new part/s are installed.

Hope this helps. Let us know what was the problem & fix.

·
Registered
138 Posts
If it's not the spark plugs or wires, I don't have a clue. Usually a misfire can be chalked up to electrical. Cracked ceramic on a plug? Perhaps you have a burned valve and they need to pull the head to check for that.

·
Registered
208 Posts
If it's not the spark plugs or wires, I don't have a clue. Usually a misfire can be chalked up to electrical. Cracked ceramic on a plug? Perhaps you have a burned valve and they need to pull the head to check for that.
Sorry Hamster GT I was posting to thread starter.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Take your brand new 2021 Forte back to the dealership until it's fixed. Check your local & state lemon laws.

Brand new vehicles shouldn't be acting up like old vehicles that are past their warranty + replacement deals & close to the 100,000 miles.

Take your new car to another Kia/Hyundai dealership. Make sure you record, document date stamp the problems.

Any dealership will immediately with extreme prejudice blame you & it's your fault.

·
Registered
2020 KIA Forte GT Manual
218 Posts
Take your brand new 2021 Forte back to the dealership until it's fixed. Check your local & state lemon laws.

Brand new vehicles shouldn't be acting up like old vehicles that are past their warranty + replacement deals & close to the 100,000 miles.

Take your new car to another Kia/Hyundai dealership. Make sure you record, document date stamp the problems.

Any dealership will immediately with extreme prejudice blame you & it's your fault.
For reals. They tried to blame me for the oil pan leaking at 900 miles on the odometer.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
For reals. They tried to blame me for the oil pan leaking at 900 miles on the odometer.

That's pretty dirty! How did you get it straightened out?

·
Registered
26 Posts
If they have to keep the car for over 30 days or more you could be in the buy back mode from Kia for not being able to diagnose and or fix the issue. I had a similar issue with a Hyundai Genesis Coupe Track Edition, that they could not find or diagnose an electrical issue that was obvious to them but couldn't fix it. I was contacted by Hyundai Corporate and they offered and ultimately bought back the vehicle all they're own, as I never wanted to have the car bought back. I'd had the car for over a year and loved it. If they keep the car too long at shop, look into it.

·
Registered
2020 Forte GT 1.6 Turbo
10 Posts
Have they checked manual compression? You may have a broken ring or burnt valve. 120 to 150 psi is the range to be in. It sounds like the dealer has Larry his brother Darryl and his other brother Darryl working on it.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Take it back to the dealership. Get video proof. Longer than a min worth. Unless the warranty or miles whichever came 1st is over.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts