Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,
I just got a new LXS and it seems like a great little car but it feels a little weird on the highway around 70-80 mph.
It feels like your driving on a really windy day, like the car wants to move around a lot and you have to be really attentive to the steering wheel. I don't notice it at lower speeds or around town. It seems to handle turns and 'spirited' driving well.
Tire pressures are good.
I had been in a 2016 Soul for reference.
Generally smooth surfaces on the highway, some fresh paved, some a bit older. Feels the same in all 3 driving modes as well, LKA off

Have any of you felt this on the 3rd gen cars?
I plan to have the dealer check it out, but its an hour away so it'll be a bit before I can get there.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Based on what you write, this is not normal. I have 2nd generation, which runs really really well on the highways, and 3rd generation handling and roadholding has been improved quite a lot. 2nd generation lets you know quite frequently that there is a Torsion beam at the rear. The 3rd gen. must be pushed really hard, that the Torsion beam is being felt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys,
I just got a new LXS and it seems like a great little car but it feels a little weird on the highway around 70-80 mph.
It feels like your driving on a really windy day, like the car wants to move around a lot and you have to be really attentive to the steering wheel. I don't notice it at lower speeds or around town. It seems to handle turns and 'spirited' driving well.
Tire pressures are good.
Generally smooth surfaces on the highway, some fresh paved, some a bit older. Feels the same in all 3 driving modes as well, LKA off

I plan to have the dealer check it out, but its an hour away so it'll be a bit before I can get there.
i have not experienced that problem.. two days ago i drove for a few hours and most of that was at 80mph and higher when on the highway. my car is brand new but it is a 2020 model LXS, btw i averaged 47mpg on a 120 mile trip.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I haven’t really noticed anything dramatic while highway driving (70-100mph), but I did find some chassis pieces that can help stiffen it up a little. EvillaMotorsports has a set including a strut bar, 2-point tie bar, and torsion beam V2 that might help with what you’re experiencing. I’m planning on getting them cause they’re not that expensive and it can’t hurt to give it every bit of support imo.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Before throwing parts at it, let's try to figure out, why it appears to be floating. What tires are mounted? And what does 'tire pressure is good' actually mean? If really you drive a lot of highway, you may want to increase your tire pressure (cold, mind you) to 36 psi, and try if that results in any better handling. The tires may be rather soft on the flanks, which can give you that floating feel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Before throwing parts at it, let's try to figure out, why it appears to be floating. What tires are mounted? And what does 'tire pressure is good' actually mean? If really you drive a lot of highway, you may want to increase your tire pressure (cold, mind you) to 36 psi, and try if that results in any better handling. The tires may be rather soft on the flanks, which can give you that floating feel.
Definitely agree to find the issue first. The parts are really a preference thing/if you really feel you need em after you know what it is.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I will add, that I agree with you, that a torsion bar, or the strut bar can make a nice difference in handling.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Forte
16 Posts
I'd get it checked out... my 2019 doesn't have this problem at all... I drive mainly all highway as well

Hey guys,
Tire pressures are good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

Thanks for the reply. Tires were at 36psi when I got it, now at 34
The tires are Kumho Solus, I think* they're the same or similar to what was on my 16 Soul.
It almost feels like the camber or caster is off or something. I'm a motorcycle guy, not a car guy so I never have to deal with that stuff, but something feels weird, even in slow turns
I made an appointment at the dealer.....see how it goes.

·
Registered
325 Posts
If these are the Kumho Solus Majestics, that's pretty good rubber, so we can elminate them as the possible source. 4-wheel alignment might be a good idea.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts