Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Living in Arizona, the AC is extremely important. I have a Jeep Wrangler so nothing matches that AC system, its literally ice cold in 115 degree temps within 15 minutes....however I have noticed the AC in the Forte has some weird habit, Namely the Recirc loves to shut itself off, and also shuts off when you open the sunroof....why , nobody knows. The other thing thats weird is on AUTO, set to lo...... its sometimes not as cold or blows as hard as manual set to LO with teh fan speed up all the way.....other times it isn't blowing cold at all, and sometimes it shuts off for 2-3 seconds and then comes back on....it has 1400 miles, so its either defective or just the way they made it....not sure really. Just wondering if anyone else has such a hard time with this AC system. I want it on HI, COLD, Dash vents for the next 6 months .....and it just wont seem to do it.

·
Registered
2022 KIA FORTE GT
26 Posts
Living in Arizona, the AC is extremely important. I have a Jeep Wrangler so nothing matches that AC system, its literally ice cold in 115 degree temps within 15 minutes....however I have noticed the AC in the Forte has some weird habit, Namely the Recirc loves to shut itself off, and also shuts off when you open the sunroof....why , nobody knows. The other thing thats weird is on AUTO, set to lo...... its sometimes not as cold or blows as hard as manual set to LO with teh fan speed up all the way.....other times it isn't blowing cold at all, and sometimes it shuts off for 2-3 seconds and then comes back on....it has 1400 miles, so its either defective or just the way they made it....not sure really. Just wondering if anyone else has such a hard time with this AC system. I want it on HI, COLD, Dash vents for the next 6 months .....and it just wont seem to do it.
Recirc should stay on if you turn it on at a specific temperature. If you change the temperature, recirc may or may not turn off depending on the cabin temp/humidity level, but I noticed the recirc usually turns off when I change the temperature.

Regarding the sunroof, I don't have a GT2, so maybe someone with the GT2 model can chime in why the AC turns off when sunroof is opened.

When the AC is on AUTO LO, there is no reason why it shouldn't be blowing cold air within a few minutes of you turning it on. Sometimes, if you are on a phone call when turning on the AC, this could be why it isn't blowing strong cold air right away. The AC system is setup to blow at a reduced rate to reduce noise when you are on the phone.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a '20 GT2, and I cannot figure out a rhyme or reason why the recirculation turns off. I never tried it with the sunroof open. I've read the manual and done that mode change thing by holding buttons (I forget exactly how I did this... Had to look it up)... And it still seems to do whatever it wants.

Note that my '20 doesn't have auto or dual zone climate control.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
5,412 Posts
I think I read somewhere that the recirc turns off - but I can't find where I read it.

Notice the warnings about recirc:

Font Screenshot Terrestrial plant Parallel Software

- since recirc cuts out outside air it stands to reason if you open the sunroof you defeat the purpose of recirc so it's possible the BCM turns off recirc?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I think I read somewhere that the recirc turns off - but I can't find where I read it.

Notice the warnings about recirc:

View attachment 87990

- since recirc cuts out outside air it stands to reason if you open the sunroof you defeat the purpose of recirc so it's possible the BCM turns off recirc?
Yes the recirc shuts off when the sunroof is open.. it will automatically come back on once it’s closed. For fine tuning your preferences go into climate settings and poke around there for a bit
Gadget Home appliance Font Gas Display device
oh yeah... and don’t use auto... it’s a terrible multi tasker... crank both sides to LO, crank fan up high... recirc on, and close the rear seat vent and choose upper vents only, too much loss if you select foot area.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
The AC in my 2011 JGC WK limited is effing awesome, within seconds it's already cold. We can have the panoramic sun/moon & all 4 windows all open & still be blowing out cold cold AC.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah when i leave work the car has been sitting, so I like to crack the sunroof to let heat escape up and out. Oddly even with the sunroof open and teh AC on inside teh car, its still cooler than outside temps, so I dont get why they turn off max A/C with it open. I just like more manual control I guess. Never thought about closing the rear vent. Didnt know I had one ! LOL. The other thing is, because its a Manual, the Auto Start doesnt allow me to start it and cool down before I leave work like the Jeep.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yeah when i leave work the car has been sitting, so I like to crack the sunroof to let heat escape up and out. Oddly even with the sunroof open and teh AC on inside teh car, its still cooler than outside temps, so I dont get why they turn off max A/C with it open. I just like more manual control I guess. Never thought about closing the rear vent. Didnt know I had one ! LOL. The other thing is, because its a Manual, the Auto Start doesnt allow me to start it and cool down before I leave work like the Jeep.
Shoot... I thought it was a GT2... some of my info may be wrong... not sure if you have a rear vent . Sorry

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shoot... I thought it was a GT2... some of my info may be wrong... not sure if you have a rear vent . Sorry
I checked at lunch and it has rear air vent and it was open so I closed it and it was a lot better. Still at the drive thru as I pulled up it all shut of for a couple seconds and came back on. Its just random as hell...hahaha

·
Registered
2022 Kia Forte LXS Fire Orange
195 Posts
My Hyundai Sonata also turned off recirculation after a few minutes. Was designed that way to keep moisture from building up inside the car, I'm told.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts