Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! My 21 forte lxs came with the 205/55 r16 kumho tires on the hexagon alloy wheels. When it comes time to get new tires, what's the most I can go up in size on the stock wheel without rubbing?

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
4,140 Posts
Hi all! My 21 forte lxs came with the 205/55 r16 kumho tires on the hexagon alloy wheels. When it comes time to get new tires, what's the most I can go up in size on the stock wheel without rubbing?
I think you're not getting replies because there aren't many who have done this yet - it's a new car!

IMO your best bet is to go to a well-known wheel and tire website (like tirerack.com or discounttire.com) and input your year, make, and model - and they will let you know what you can install on your car.

·
Registered
2020 Cerato GT
568 Posts
It will be hard to rub because you're limited by the wheel width. Stock wheels are 16 x 6.5, and according to this chart the max tire width for 6.5" is 215. So the most you can go is 215/55-16.

Font Screenshot Number Parallel Rectangle

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all so much. Arith, your table finally made it crystal clear for me! So now I know, that I can either just go up one in width, or spring for 18" wheels and tires like I'm fantasizing about! Lol

·
Registered
2020 Cerato GT
568 Posts
Check Fitment Industries, it has a section for confirmed set ups, with details and pictures.
Just don't take everything at face value. They have 19x10 with +35mm offset as an available recommendation. This will fit. Just don't lower the car or have any passengers. Or extensive suspension and body work is required.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just don't take everything at face value. They have 19x10 with +35mm offset as an available recommendation. This will fit. Just don't lower the car or have any passengers. Or extensive suspension and body work is required.
Thanks for the heads up! I'm actually looking at a set of Momo 18x8 with a +45 offset and some 225/45 r18 tires

·
Registered
2020 Cerato GT
568 Posts
Thanks for the heads up! I'm actually looking at a set of Momo 18x8 with a +45 offset and some 225/45 r18 tires
Just be careful with that tire size. It's an 1" larger diameter than stock. The stock setup is 225/40-18. A 45 series tire will an inch larger. Might effect some instruments and sensors (ie- ABS, speedometer, etc).
I'm not saying it's going to throw instruments and readings way off, but insurance companies can possibly use it as an excuse to deny a pay out or claim because you used an irregular size tire.

·
Registered
529 Posts
It will be hard to rub because you're limited by the wheel width. Stock wheels are 16 x 6.5, and according to this chart the max tire width for 6.5" is 215. So the most you can go is 215/55-16.

View attachment 84966
To throw a curved ball: Long time ago, I bought a second hand Saab 9000 Turbo, which had 225/50-16 tires mounted on the OEM wheels (which should have been 205/50-16. 6.5x16" wheels). I drove like this for 2 years, zero effect. Arith is right, of course, 225/50-16 would be 10 mm beyond the recommended maximum, but it is definitely doable.

As for going to 18", depends really on the conditions of the roads where you are. With 17" and even more so with 18" wheels, poor road conditions are being felt quite a lot more. Here in Greater Montreal, I'd not advise to do that, our roads are way too horrible for that. I find the Forte looks great on 17" with 225/45-17, but looks are to personal taste.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think you're not getting replies because there aren't many who have done this yet - it's a new car!

IMO your best bet is to go to a well-known wheel and tire website (like tirerack.com or discounttire.com) and input your year, make, and model - and they will let you know what you can install on your car.
You probably want to go up in rim size not tire. If you go to a 17,18,29, etc. you then want to look for a tire that is the same size in circumference or tall. If not your going to change gear ration and have a check engine light on. I will make an assumption that your 17 and 18 inch rim size tire will be the same as the GTs. Also, increasing your tire size “circumference” will also have a negative effect on the Speedo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You probably want to go up in rim size not tire. If you go to a 17,18,29, etc. you then want to look for a tire that is the same size in circumference or tall. If not your going to change gear ration and have a check engine light on. I will make an assumption that your 17 and 18 inch rim size tire will be the same as the GTs. Also, increasing your tire size “circumference” will also have a negative effect on the Speedo.
20 not 29 and ratio not ration

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What I'm really trying to do is kind of "fill out" the wheel wheels, if that makes sense? I want to so it safely of course, but I would like a bigger wheel and tire to really fill in the huge wheel wells...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts