Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I've been looking at Forte GT lines and GT(DCT) trims around my area. There are many available in stock in my radius besides one dealer which has several that is marking them up 4-5k. I did find one dealer that has a GT without GT2 package and the numbers are around 330ish a month after 1K downpayment for 36/15 lease terms. It seems to be hard to get better deals. I've had another dealer with a 290ish offer with same terms on a GT line. The GT would be more fun imo and seems to get decent fuel economy on paper. I have a couple questions since it is my first new car purchase:

1.) Is this a decent offer on a GT automatic base?
2.) What real world mpg(mixed) should I be expecting? I'd be satisfied with 28+ for reference.

Appreciate it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wouldn't know because I don't lease stuff. IMO it's one of the dumbest things you can do with your money, especially given the market right now. You pay all this money to basically borrow the car from Kia. You will pay about $13k by the time you are done with a 3 year lease on that GT and then you have to give it back.

That being said, I would finance it. Find a bank where you can take out a low interest loan or see if Kia is running any finance specials. Yes, you'll spend more in the long run, but you can get longer loans that lower your monthly cost if you need. You'll also have a car afterwards, and you aren't limited in how much you can drive it.
The Kia Forte is one of the most sought-after cars right now. I can sell my '21 for $4k MORE than I bought it for according to both KBB and Carfax, over a year and 26k miles later. If you finance it (interest rates are pretty low right now which helps), you can sell it down the road and pretty much get most of your money back, instead of having no car and $13k less in three years and have to make the same decision over again.

Just my 2 cents and what I'd do. Not trying to discourage you - it is your money after all.

To answer your second question though, a lot of guys get well into the 30s for MPG in their GTs, so you should be good there as long as you aren't flooring it everywhere. The GT is well worth the extra $ if you value performance.
Thanks, I would like to finance too but putting money into my wedding and marriage life this year. It's my first new car purchase but after this will be my last lease. I guess it depends on what I can get in this market. The GT seems to have the same 10yr/100k warranty I believe as other Kia's so that could be an option.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You get fisted leasing a cheap car with a huge markup... go to a bank or lender of your choice.. I’m assuming good+ Credit ... you will be surprised what can be done... stay away from Kia financing.
It doesn't have a markup. I didn't contact the dealer that had markups. I'm leaning towards leasing right now but might explore other options.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've done both lease and purchase. Both have benefits and both have negatives, it all comes down to personal finances. Don't listen to those who say you overpay for lease. Unless you're terrible at negotiating, you can get screwed either way you go.
Except for current market conditions which you'll get screwed either way you go, when leasing you have a brand new car every three years. When financing, you might be paying a high payment and by the fifth, sixth or whatever year you're in, you're paying a high payment for an old car. So you're throwing money away at this point too. Once you've done then come the headaches for repairs and shit goes wrong. By that time you invested all that money and then putting in extra for maintenance.
Again it's personal preference and do what's best for you and your wallet. If you plan on buying a home, it's better to lease cause the bank doesn't count that against you for getting a mortgage. That's something I wasn't told when financing my vehicle. Unless you're financially stable and have no worries about that.

Good Luck!
Well said Andrew, they both have their advantages and disadvantages and doing some of each is what works best for most people. In my case it makes sense to lease for several factors. A GT2 Forte would have been a great buy before the pandemic based on the deals some people got. The market does suck, hopefully inventory supply starts going back what it used to be soon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
I wouldn't count on it happening any time soon.
Bar some global catastrophe, it will certainly get better within 2-3 years. Enough to where we don't see $4k markups on GT's.

The Gt is still a great buy if you can get one at or close to MSRP. If you can get it there, the resale value is so good you can get pretty much all of your money back when you sell it if you choose to.
You see everyone thinks different, I'm not in the business of flipping cars, if I was to finance an enthusiast vehicle it would be for myself and I'd keep for a long time. Not to go trade it in a year later because it appreciated in value.

So the whole "you get a new car every three years" argument is moot since you can still do that AND not really have to pay to have the car that time due to insane resale values.
So, you're arguing against getting into a new car every few years by arguing for a getting into a new car every few years. Even if cars appreciate at the moment, those that turn in them from my experience will do so for higher priced vehicles. I wouldn't advise a new grad into putting 10k down to finance a vehicle. Ideally getting a used car but with the prices a good lease is a good option. I think you make many assumptions, I don't intend to lease a new car each time. Although if I did I wouldn't need to justify myself to you. I know people that only lease cars and that's their preference and business.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
If you can't afford a down payment on a car you shouldn't be buying or leasing a new car. That's a recipe for financial disaster. Also, long term, you save a ton of money if you don't lease. Like it's not even remotely close. You either lose 13k borrowing a car for a few years that you then give back or you spend a little more and have a tangible asset that you could then sell for most of what you've spent. It's a Kia with a 100k mile warranty and incredible resale value. If we were talking about a Land Rover or something... Lease all the way if you want a new one. Depreciation is too steep and maintenance is too expensive. But with a car that basically isn't really losing value with a crazy long warranty, it makes no sense to lease.
You seem to like to apply your way of thinking as the truth and ultimate truth. The amount you put towards a downpayment a car is no way indicative of whether you can truly afford a car or not. There are people that put damn-near their life savings for a downpayment towards 80K trucks on 84 month loans. There are people that refuse to put money down on any lease as it's lost money in the case of an accident that are in great financial position. If you could so easily afford a vehicle you'd pay it off with cash, but I know you'll turn around and tell us you'd be better off investing the money elsewhere, except when I tell you to put it towards a car purchase, lol.

Most people in America have to borrow money. The average car loan length for new cars is around 72 months. And average payment is around $600+ for a new vehicle. Most Americans cannot truly afford most new vehicles. Yet people need transportation and will work with whatever options they have. Or people tend to live above their means.

If you are so entinced to go finance a Forte GT you go ahead and do it. I didn't ask for your opinion on leasing vs financing. And no offense dude, I'm not going to be base my personal decisions off a guy that has to come on the internet to argue for the sake of arguing because nobody in real life wants to put up with what he has to say.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
If you can't afford a down payment on a car you shouldn't be buying or leasing a new car. That's a recipe for financial disaster. Also, long term, you save a ton of money if you don't lease. Like it's not even remotely close. You either lose 13k borrowing a car for a few years that you then give back or you spend a little more and have a tangible asset that you could then sell for most of what you've spent. It's a Kia with a 100k mile warranty and incredible resale value. If we were talking about a Land Rover or something... Lease all the way if you want a new one. Depreciation is too steep and maintenance is too expensive. But with a car that basically isn't really losing value with a crazy long warranty, it makes no sense to lease.
So this whole spiel of yours seems to be due to someone higher up ladder talking you down for the car you own, so you go project this insecurity on a guy who wants to lease a car, that others would also talk down for 'only' being able to afford a Forte GT. Yet the difference is I will purchase a car that meets my needs and makes me happy with zero regard to what people think of me. That's why you're miserable and I'm not. Quit worrying so much about what people think.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Lease vs. finance aside, the dealer with be GT ended up trying to sell me on another car and claimed the GT was already taken for. My plan was to look at an lxs first but than saw the GT line had nice some features and by accident came across an MSRP GT. I did end up going with a Gt-line from another dealer.

Got to say I'm really impressed. Pictures/videos don't do it justice. Interior soft touch points are really welcome coming from a Chevy equinox that was extremely cheap inside. This comes with more standard safety features than I was expecting for the base without the premium package. Cloth/leatherette seats are comfortable , door panels are sexy. Infotainment is gorgeous and no glare. Steering wheel is best I've ever had.

Also the car doesn't feel underpowered. Magazine tests claimed it felt really sluggish. It feels fast and gets moving and I was driving like a grandma back to home. Suspension is not harsh either, it's a smooth ride and the cvt is also very smooth. It feels like an auto with the simulated shifts but without any drama. Exterior side skirts, headlights and fascia looks beautiful. Trunk space is quite big.

This is an impressive compact car for $23k msrp. I was not expecting a compact car to feel premium. I'm still figuring other things out like how to toggle in the menu for tire pressure and mpg. Also wondering if the Kia connect is free or not. I read you get 1 year free than you have to pay. And is navigation free ? It's included in the car along with hd radio. None of this is subscription based right ? I'm curious since I know the sirus xm is a three month trial.

All in all, check out the car if you want a good looking compact sedan with great fuel economy, looks , interior design/feel, and safety features. You won't be disappointed. Especially if you're coming from a miserable-to-be-in, ptsd-inducing Chevy, lool.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
The reason the majority of your magazines and larger reviewers are hard on Kia and Hyundai is because Kia/Hyundai ain’t paying their bills.... you will always see them sneak in comments like.... “ the kia’s transmission falls short of the Honda Civic SI transmission that puts its power to the ground with 18” wheels wrapped in Michelin tires”...... ... guess who is paying their bills....
Or they will compare a base Kia Forte with a damn TYPE-R and make sure everyone knows the base Kia got it’s dick stomped.... everything is bias when money is involved.
Yeah, the civic si - Forte GT comparison tests make it seem like there's such a large gap between the two vehicles. I understand performance (handling wise) the Si has an lsd but besides that , I'd actually say the forte gt may even feel more premium. And you may not notice that lsd during most driving on the streets. I do love the Si as a car and wouldn't mind owning one in the future once I learn stick. The more enthusiast value options the better.

My forte gt line base feels premium. The door handles light up, the sounds when you lock/unlock the door are great. When I set my Bluetooth I had a robot speaking to me. The middle dash has customizable themes, when you use the wiper blades a menu pops up on the middle dash screen(between speedos) that shows you your setting while toggling through it. I discover new things everyday. The feel of the materials and fit and finish is really premium for an entry level compact sedan. People need to see these cars in person because pictures don't do it justice. Makes you feel special, lol.

I'd go out and say the GT2 package GT must be really nice and more premium feeling than a civic si. My brother in law has a civic sport on the way so im excited to see how that car feels inside and out. Im sure it's premium feeling as well. The Honda , Toyota and Kia compacts offer great value , imo. And sedans always drive better than cuvs to me. Cuvs make me miserable, they're uncomfortable , worse on gas , seating position I don't like , suspension feels off, they feel heavy , and so forth. With gas prices people should be going back to compact sedans and they won't be disappointed. They are more feature packed and have better ride/handling/mpg than cuv counterparts .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts