Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Forte GT Red Currant, 2022 Forte GT Sporty Blue
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 22 GT for about a month now with over 3000 miles on it already. I have noticed a rubbing(not squealing) sound whenever I turn my steering wheel at lower speeds when turning right. Any ideas as to what that might be before I make an appointment at the very slow Kia dealer in my area and possibly schedule a rental. I did check in the wheel well and there is nothing there touching. I'm guessing something inside the steering column. thanks

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
725 Posts
I believe there was a recall or TSB about that. Someone can probably correct me if I'm wrong. I remember seeing a pretty long thread about a very similar sound on here a little while ago

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
5,187 Posts
If you're hearing a "swish" sound then yes, sounds like rhey forgot to lube the steering shaft properly when assembled.

Take your car to the dealer!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
If you're hearing a "swish" sound then yes, sounds like rhey forgot to lube the steering shaft properly when assembled.

Take your car to the dealer!
Thanks, that's the exact description of the sounds

made an appointment and of course since I didn't buy the car at the nearest dealership, they really aren't willing to give me a loaner and want to charge me a diagnostics fee to listen for the noise. Kinda crappy I have to pay out of pocket for a potential repair under warranty

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
5,187 Posts
Thanks, that's the exact description of the sounds

made an appointment and of course since I didn't buy the car at the nearest dealership, they really aren't willing to give me a loaner and want to charge me a diagnostics fee to listen for the noise. Kinda crappy I have to pay out of pocket for a potential repair under warranty
I tried calling Kia's Customer Service number, 1 800 333 4542 to get clarification about what you wrote (diagnostic fee, different deaer) but after waiting more then 25 minutes I got tired of waiting. What a disappointment! If you call...get used to hearing: "Thank you for your call, your call will be answered in the order it was recieved"...

·
Registered
665 Posts
Known issue but to be honest it's not that big of deal. Music always louder than the swish sound and sometimes it goes away on its own. I left it as is

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I tried calling Kia's Customer Service number, 1 800 333 4542 to get clarification about what you wrote (diagnostic fee, different deaer) but after waiting more then 25 minutes I got tired of waiting. What a disappointment! If you call...get used to hearing: "Thank you for your call, your call will be answered in the order it was recieved"...
much appreciated. Hopefully the dealership doesn't happen to be deaf on that or the issue doesn't happen. I recorded it on my phone a few times but I know that means nothing if the tech doesn't hear it. Of course after making the appointment it stopped doing the noise later in the evening and this morning it didn't do it until driving for almost an hour. Seems to be worse when the car is out in the cold temperatures.

As for just using music to drown it out, I could do that, however I would rather it not become a complete steering failure later especially if this is a known issue. Just hoping if they need to order a part, it's not a lengthy wait or they let me pick up my car until the part comes in as car rental fees are over $40/day right now

Found the notice online, TSB CHA084 applies. The noise on page 3 is exactly what is happening in mine

·
Registered
51 Posts
Known issue but to be honest it's not that big of deal. Music always louder than the swish sound and sometimes it goes away on its own. I left it as is

This is what I've done too. If the steering wheel whoosh gets worse I'll take it to the dealership... But I'm currently fighting with them over my cold start squeal. One thing at a time...

·
Registered
665 Posts
This is what I've done too. If the steering wheel whoosh gets worse I'll take it to the dealership... But I'm currently fighting with them over my cold start squeal. One thing at a time...
Cold start squeal is very common on this model and goes away the warmer it gets. You can spray silicon but eventually it will come back. The squeal goes away when you drive. Service will likely have to mess around with the belt tensioner and tweak some other adjustments to make it vanish but who knows what they will mess up in the process.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Cold start squeal is very common on this model and goes away the warmer it gets. You can spray silicon but eventually it will come back. The squeal goes away when you drive. Service will likely have to mess around with the belt tensioner and tweak some other adjustments to make it vanish but who knows what they will mess up in the process.

Thanks for the info! Figures it's about 20 degrees here in NY this week.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Forte Gt 1.6L turbo Manual
37 Posts
Glad to see I’m not the only one. I’ve got 4000 miles on my 21 Forte Gt and the wheel makes that noise when I turn to the right. Thanks for posting, I’m going to take it in

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
725 Posts
Mine does it for about a minute when its super cold - like under 10 F. Then it goes away. I'm not worried about it on mine

1 - 13 of 13 Posts