Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why are people switching? and is it worth it?

I need new tires and as i am shopping i wanna know if its worth getting the 225? They're the same price. My speedometer is off anyway, so this should make it a bit more even.

I would also appreciate it if you guys give me tire suggestions. (not too expensive, and not winter, i have a winter set.)

Things i want in a tire:

-Not winter tire
- Lasts longer than 10K (thats what my goodyears lasted)
- less than $150/tire
- good grip around corners
- decent in rain, we get alot of rain here, out of the first 140 days of 2011, 100 days were cloudy.

My winter set is Blizzaks in case anyone is wondering.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Why are people switching? and is it worth it?

I need new tires and as i am shopping i wanna know if its worth getting the 225? They're the same price. My speedometer is off anyway, so this should make it a bit more even.

I would also appreciate it if you guys give me tire suggestions. (not too expensive, and not winter, i have a winter set.)

Things i want in a tire:

-Not winter tire
- Lasts longer than 10K (thats what my goodyears lasted)
- less than $150/tire
- good grip around corners
- decent in rain, we get alot of rain here, out of the first 140 days of 2011, 100 days were cloudy.

My winter set is Blizzaks in case anyone is wondering.
Don't know about prices in your area. But around here the best bang for the buck seem to be the Yokohama Avid Envigors. A performance all season. And go for the 225. It's the exact same size in terms of diameter and circumference as the 15" steelies on LX. It's a bit wider tho. It should bring the speedo back in check. It's like 225/45-17 should be the correct size on the SX but they went with a narrower and smaller side wall for some reason, probably for MPG?

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
I've been looking at the Pirelli P6 Four Seasons.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so far my fav choice is Continental DWS everyone loves those, and reviews are spectacular.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
UTQG: 540 A A on your DWS
UTQG:
500 A A on the P6 I had picked out.
That is better tread wear, and less expensive, nice find.
I Like the Pirelli because it is listed as LRR and I want to try a set.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UTQG: 540 A A on your DWS
UTQG:
500 A A on the P6 I had picked out.
That is better tread wear, and less expensive, nice find.
I Like the Pirelli because it is listed as LRR and I want to try a set.
Best thing about DWS is Treadwear. They have a treadwear warranty for 50,000 miles / 6 years. tell me thats not amazing.

go on tire rack, and look at customers reviews, some have had them for 90,000+ miless. I wish i can get 25,000 out of them

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Yea, a 540 rating is pretty good for a < $150 tire. I don't think you can go wrong with either tire.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Isn't the sizing 215 Vs 225 just a width sizing where's the 40 Vs 45 is a hight measurement, cause I don't think the wider tire is gonna affect the speedo reading...

I actually already bought my tires TOYO Proxes 4 they were somewhat affordable, had great dry and wet ratings as well as life expectancy, I'm loving em so far... Now I have to find wheels hoping a 17x8 will fit into 215/45/r17 as the stocks are 17x7

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Isn't the sizing 215 bs 225 just a width sizing where's the 40 bs 45 is a hight measurement, cause I don't think the wider tire is gonna affect the speedo reading...

I actually already bought my tires TOYO Proxes 4 they were somewhat affordable, had great dry and wet ratings as well as life expectancy, I'm loving em so far... Now I have to find wheels hoping a 17x8 will fit into 215/45/r17 as the stocks are 17x7
45 means 45% of the width so if you got a wider tire you'll have a taller tire even if you kept the aspect ratio the same.

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
Isn't the sizing 215 Vs 225 just a width sizing where's the 40 Vs 45 is a hight measurement, cause I don't think the wider tire is gonna affect the speedo reading...

You'd need 17x9 as 225mm / 25.4 = 8.86" (mm to inch)

·
Registered
916 Posts
Learn something new everyday, I always thought 40-45-50 was just a sidewall measurement. So on a 10" wide tire a 40 series is gonna also be taller in diameter than a 7" wide 40 series, or am I missing it, and to stay on topic and not thread jack... TOYO ftw, I couldn't afford the continentals.

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
Learn something new everyday, I always thought 40-45-50 was just a sidewall measurement. So on a 10" wide tire a 40 series is gonna also be taller in diameter than a 7" wide 40 series, or am I missing it, and to stay on topic and not thread jack... TOYO ftw, I couldn't afford the continentals.
40% of 10" is bigger than 40% of 7"...

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I have Falken Ziex ZE912's in 225/45/ZR18 and I rly like them. I'm not a street racer where I've done so many tight turns at high speeds but the ones I have done, I've had great grip. I bought a set of 4 of these for $415.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I have Falken Ziex ZE912's in 225/45/ZR18 and I rly like them. I'm not a street racer where I've done so many tight turns at high speeds but the ones I have done, I've had great grip. I bought a set of 4 of these for $415.

I have a set up these in my garage. They are great in the rain and have an incredible amount of grip.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have 225/45/17 Firestone TZ700's on 17x7's , speedo is exact and combo looks in proportion with great performance . 215/45/17 is actually what puts the speedo out so was a no go for me as a replacement for the std 15's

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
so its true .... 225/17/45 does fit on our cars??????? (tire rack seems to agree too)
It's only a 10MM or 1CM tread difference between the two tires.

·
Registered
34 Posts
IMHO, although tyres might be the same size/profile etc, different brands/styles of tyre may "appear" to look wider than others..take the Dunlop SportMaxx for example....that has a "curb guard" side wall, that makes the tyre appear wider than others at the same size.

That said, check out the Sumitomo HTR ZIII. Tirerack rated this as one of their best performing summer/dry/wet tyres (no winter!). Prices aren't half bad too....and I actually find they look "meatier" than the stock tyres.....for the same tyre profile.

Ride quality is great for a Max Perf. Summer tyre, and it isn't noisy (but does have a slightly louder "hum" than the stockers...but that's expected)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.