Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! Lately I have been seeing a discrepancy regarding the official wheel size on the 2022 GT. Some sources have it listed as 18x7.5" and others list it as 18x8". The reason this matters to me is that I would like to run some 235/40/r18 tires on my 2022 GT, but am concerned that the stock wheels might be to small if it turns out they are only 7.5" width. Can anyone provide some insight into this conundrum?

Also, if the wheels turn out to only be 7.5" wide after all, would there be any problems with a tire of this size rubbing? I would like to eventually run some lowering springs later on if I can, but if that were to cause a fair amount of rubbing, I would probably forego them and choose to keep it stock (assuming of course that stock doesn't rub with the 235/40/r18 tire size either).

Anyways, if someone out there has experience or info on this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

Registered
2020 Cerato GT
The Forte GT wheels should be 18x7.5 +55 ET. Although 235 is not ideal on 7.5", it's certainly do-able. I've seen quite a few people do it due to 235 tires being a bit cheaper.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Forte GT wheels should be 18x7.5 +55 ET. Although 235 is not ideal on 7.5", it's certainly do-able. I've seen quite a few people do it due to 235 tires being a bit cheaper.
Awesome! Thank you for your reply! Do you think that setup would be do-able with lowering springs (moderate drop, nothing too severe) or would that be pushing it too much?
The Elantra N Line have 18x7.5 with 235 40 oem

Oh wow, I honestly had no idea they used a different size on the Hyundai variant. I guess I just assumed that they would be the exact same as in the Forte GT because of their shared platform. And it also looks like the Elantra N goes all the way up to 245/35/19!!! This is great news for me in case I eventually go aftermarket, and push it even wider. But at that point would'nt it pretty much rule out lowering springs?

Registered
Awesome! Thank you for your reply! Do you think that setup would be do-able with lowering springs (moderate drop, nothing too severe) or would that be pushing it too much?

Oh wow, I honestly had no idea they used a different size on the Hyundai variant. I guess I just assumed that they would be the exact same as in the Forte GT because of their shared platform. And it also looks like the Elantra N goes all the way up to 245/35/19!!! This is great news for me in case I eventually go aftermarket, and push it even wider. But at that point would'nt it pretty much rule out lowering springs?
Keep in mind the Elantra N has a notch in the strut for safe measures. You can run the 245/35/19 with the Elantra wheel specs
(19x8 55) but tires with a big rim guard lip may not clear.

Registered
2020 Cerato GT
Naw, should be plenty of clearance. I clear with a 8.5" wheel and +45ET offset with 235/30-20 tires.

Keep in mind factory wheels tend to be on the safe side with no so wide rims and a very high offset. It will be lowered car safe no matter what you throw at it.

Registered
2020 KIA Forte GT Manual

The Elantra N Line runs the same wheel spec as our GT, but uses a 235 tire. You should be fine with lowering springs with stock wheel with a 235. I run a 18x8.5 +42 wheel and stock tire size on lowered coilover suspension, and i have enough room for a 235. It doesn't rub, even with 3 adults in the back seat.

The Elantra N uses a wider wheel and tire combo, but uses a higher wheel offset to achieve zero scrub radius, so this combination will need some work to fit as @Steve g mentioned.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome! So it sounds overwhelmingly like as long as I am still using the factory wheels (due mostly to their large offset) that 235/40/r18 will be fine, even with most lowering springs. I am very excited now to get this project underway now! Thank you all so much!

Registered
2021 Forte GT- Currant Red - GT2 Package - Ambien Lights
The Elantra N Line runs the same wheel spec as our GT, but uses a 235 tire. You should be fine with lowering springs with stock wheel with a 235. I run a 18x8.5 +42 wheel and stock tire size on lowered coilover suspension, and i have enough room for a 235. It doesn't rub, even with 3 adults in the back seat.

The Elantra N uses a wider wheel and tire combo, but uses a higher wheel offset to achieve zero scrub radius, so this combination will need some work to fit as @Steve g mentioned.
I found your post a little late. I had to change my Khumo because I bent 3 wheels and two of the tires were very damaged to a nonrepairable condition. I always wanted the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S and that gave me the perfect excuse, but I was debating with myself to get the 235 instead of the 225 original tires. I felt that 10 mm shouldn't make a big difference, but went on the save side. Nice to know though if I ever have to replace them before I replace the car.馃槉

Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, Wagner-Tuning Intercooler, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
I had to change my Khumo because I bent 3 wheels and two of the tires were very damaged to a nonrepairable condition.
Okay ZiggyM5...you have a story to tell here...LOL!

Registered
I would also like to know how he managed 3 but I can鈥檛 say anything..

I wore the stock tires out and had them replaced not long ago and while having them replaced, was informed I had a bent lip on the inside of one..
i thought there was no way! BUT I remembered I had hit a unseen pothole at night some time back and it sounded pretty rough!

I stoped that night and looked at the outside, no damage what soever, tire pressures never dropped so I assumed all was good.

Its actually still on the car with the new tires until I can afford a new set.. it still balanced fine and they dunk tested it for 20 minutes.

Registered

I wore the stock tires out and had them replaced not long ago and while having them replaced, was informed I had a bent lip on the inside of one..
i thought there was no way! BUT I remembered I had hit a unseen pothole at night some time back and it sounded pretty rough!

I stoped that night and looked at the outside, no damage what soever, tire pressures never dropped so I assumed all was good.

Its actually still on the car with the new tires until I can afford a new set.. it still balanced fine and they dunk tested it for 20 minutes.
Most of the time they bent on the inside of the wheel. I had two bent inside and one outside.

Registered
Most of the time they bent on the inside of the wheel. I had two bent inside and one outside.
By the way, I have immense experience in the subject, I bent my M5 wheels about 10 times, and 3 times they had to be welded (my insurance paid for my first 4 damaged tires and wheels). They mostly bent on the inside. And all happens on public roads because I had a set of BBS Competition for track time only wheels. I even bent two of the BBS because I was lazy and didn't replace them before leaving the track. So ... I ended up buying two new track wheels because no one had the machine to repair the damage. Later I was able to find a shop that fixed them ending with 6 track wheels and 4 public road wheels. Although we have bad roads in some areas most of the principal roads and highways are in good shape. I attribute most of the damage to my driving style on the spirited side of the spectrum. Driving slower may have saved me at least half of the damage. Additionally, the other cars in the family whch account for at least 2-3 additional bent wheels and several tires. I always replace tires in pairs, so I always store one usable tire for the next event in which case I only replace one (counting with the same size spare).

Registered
By the way, I have immense experience in the subject, I bent my M5 wheels about 10 times, and 3 times they had to be welded (my insurance paid for my first 4 damaged tires and wheels). They mostly bent on the inside. And all happens on public roads because I had a set of BBS Competition for track time only wheels. I even bent two of the BBS because I was lazy and didn't replace them before leaving the track. So ... I ended up buying two new track wheels because no one had the machine to repair the damage. Later I was able to find a shop that fixed them ending with 6 track wheels and 4 public road wheels. Although we have bad roads in some areas most of the principal roads and highways are in good shape. I attribute most of the damage to my driving style on the spirited side of the spectrum. Driving slower may have saved me at least half of the damage. Additionally, the other cars in the family whch account for at least 2-3 additional bent wheels and several tires. I always replace tires in pairs, so I always store one usable tire for the next event in which case I only replace one (counting with the same size spare).
I loved the BBS SR wheels I had on my Camry but they kept stress cracking.

Registered

It's good they are still balanced. I believe that could be my case too because my first was balanced even with the bent. I fixed the wheels first then the tires. I was told that even though the wheels were corrected the tires were damaged and will still feel the bouncing until I change the tires.

Is anyone following F1? (3) Ground Effect Porpoising In Action | Formula 1 Testing 2022 - YouTube That is how my car feels like. 馃ぃ馃槀

Registered
I loved the BBS SR wheels I had on my Camry but they kept stress cracking.
Yeah, me too. The BBS weight was almost half the original, and replacing the tires for Michelin Pilot Sport Cup, which were also lighter, took off about 100 lbs.

Registered
Wow that really sucks man!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts