Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 with 103,000 miles, and the transmission seems to be slipping, runs normally up to 40mph with the rpm at 2500. But then when I step on the gas and rev it to 4500, and hold it there,I'm still only going 40.

Anybody else run into this problem?

·
Registered
951 Posts
One thing that fits the symptoms you described is a clogged exhaust system. Has the vehicle ever had a misfire condition, or does it use a significant amount of oil in between changes? What oil change interval do you use?

IMO the TCM or ECM would be setting some type of code if the transmission was unable to shift when the required conditions for the shifting occurred. But it's possible for a blocked exhaust system to produce sensor data which results in the computers not seeing all of the required shifting values (i.e. a non-event).

You might want to do a back pressure test, or remove the upstream O2 sensor and try a test run (if you can get away with that much noise where you live).

·
Registered
841 Posts
2014 with 103,000 miles, and the transmission seems to be slipping, runs normally up to 40mph with the rpm at 2500. But then when I step on the gas and rev it to 4500, and hold it there,I'm still only going 40.

Anybody else run into this problem?
Care to tell us what transmission you have (automatic or manual)? I'm going to assume automatic but you didn't say and we can't read minds.

If it is an automatic, when was the last time the fluid was changed? Ever? Its very possible the trans is shot if it has never been serviced. Time to seek a transmission shop for a more in-depth diagnosis.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Care to tell us what transmission you have (automatic or manual)? I'm going to assume automatic but you didn't say and we can't read minds.

If it is an automatic, when was the last time the fluid was changed? Ever? Its very possible the trans is shot if it has never been serviced. Time to seek a transmission shop for a more in-depth diagnosis.

My bad there, its an automatic. Only had the car for a few months so I cant say when the tranny fluid was changed, if ever. I guess i'll drain it and see what color it is. I'm afraid it will be black with metal fragments.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts