Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where to post this but seeing how the 2.0 is the only engine w/ the 4spd auto, I guess I'll post it here.

I've noticed that anytime I slow down from 35+mph that there is a slight 'hiccup' @ 33-35mph. It's almost as if the engine is in too high of a gear and its starts to bog slightly then lets go. I've checked it in tiptronic mode but the indicator doesn't say that it even changed gears. The only problem is that it almost feels like the car is wanting to speed forward due to the 'letting go' of the gear and maintaining the same brake pressure. I've gotten to where I expect the hiccup and prepare myself to apply more brake pressure for that one instant.

Is this normal?

I've also noticed that both the brakes/gas pedal are super sensitive...almost like 'all or nothing' when you press them. I've gotten use to it but does anyone know if there is a 'reflash' to adjust the sensitivity?

Overall, I love the car and have been very pleased with my purchase. It's been better than I expected so far. I've only had it for a week and have put on almost 700 miles. :D

·
Registered
153 Posts
I did notice a hiccup of sorts, more so when your in "D".
Usually only happens when I'm forced to crawl behind slow drivers. By crawl I mean the speed limit.
It seems as though the gearing was made for the states. The car loves 70Kph in third, and most roads in the the states are about 45Mph.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I liked the 5spd A/T a lot better, I am in the 4 spd A/T now, once it's into second gear it has like no torque, it stinks ;[

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've also noticed that both the brakes/gas pedal are super sensitive...almost like 'all or nothing' when you press them. I've gotten use to it but does anyone know if there is a 'reflash' to adjust the sensitivity?

When I test drove the Forte Koup SX I noticed that the break was super sensitive. The steering seemed real tight and if I tapped the accelerator the car took off. When I purchased my Koup SX it felt completely different. The accelerator/break seemed way softer and the steering was looser. My sister's Koup SX felt somewhere in the middle. Maybe it slightly varies.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Many cars,during coastdown,shut the fuel off. At a certain speed/rpm,the fuel is turned on again & some cars you notice the transition more than others. Perhaps,after car has thoroughly broken in,all will be more seamless. Maybe some other cause,but I've noticed this fuel-on 'surge' in several vehicles.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could the 33-35 mph "hiccup" be the lock-up torque converter unlocking?
maybe...I'd have to know more how that operates to tell for sure. It does seem to 'let go'. It is more pronounced when I slow down quicker vs. coasting for a while before slowing down.

·
Registered
14 Posts
maybe...I'd have to know more how that operates to tell for sure. It does seem to 'let go'. It is more pronounced when I slow down quicker vs. coasting for a while before slowing down.
I have noticed this in my forte somewhat too. But also in the 2010 Chev van i drive at work. I notice it more in the van than in my car. In my van when doing around 90 - 100 kph, and you let off on the gas, it feels like after a second or two it takes itself out of gear and coasts until you get back into the gas.

·
Registered
405 Posts
i was readin the thread and experienced opposite behavior at high speed...

I was driving at, something like 60 mph on the highway, and had to pass a freight... so i did like i usually do on my 2003 Elantra, 'kickdowning' to force the car to downshift... but something else happened...

The car downshifted to the 'second gear' and the rpm rose above 6000... there is nothing to do there, so i lifted the foot to let the tranny gain the third. From there i was able to pass the freight. Tried the experience 3 others time, only to make sure i was'nt on effect of hard drugs but seems the normal behavior of the thing. Instead, i learned to really use the steptronic stick. Same thing when climbing hills.

Anybody experienced something similar ?

·
Registered
71 Posts
@LeShadow: I've seen the same thing out of my 4-spd AT. It freaked me out a bit, as I've been making a concerted effort to stay within recommended break-in parameters. I'm definitely going to work on getting better accustomed to using the slap shifter.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Well... a month and 3000 miles further, i got used to the beast.

I reread the thread and experienced a lot city driving and what was Tsunami's main concern is that the engine seems to not rev enough at 35mph... For that, personally, i use the slapstick while in city, especialy at these speeds... and seems that fuel efficiency got better as well.

Personally while running in city... i think i use the steptronic maybe 80% of the time... shifting 'round 3000 rpm... and get some fun !

@Geek.Verve : As for higher speed... i found that, if u do like me, we kick the pedal too much. We don't have to give a kick down like that for downshifting... try it a bit softer... u'll see some change.

·
Registered
71 Posts
As for higher speed... i found that, if u do like me, we kick the pedal too much. We don't have to give a kick down like that for downshifting... try it a bit softer... u'll see some change.
Right you are. Over the past couple of days, I've tried a bit more finesse with it, and that does improve matters. I'm finding the slap shifter more fun, though. :cool:

·
Registered
825 Posts
Kickdowning in the Forte

Right you are. Over the past couple of days, I've tried a bit more finesse with it, and that does improve matters. I'm finding the slap shifter more fun, though. :cool:

Okay so like the song I've "Tried A Litte Tenderness". . .it worked:rolleyes:. I don't scare my wife when I'm passing big trucks anymore. And it doesn't feel like I'm about to leave my transmission on I-65:eek:. Thanks for the thread. Thought I was alone in this until I read this thread . . Thanks to all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts