Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Luckily I have the rim+tire insurance plan [does it have a limit???] this is the 4th tire with a bubble. The Good-for-a-Year [Goodyears Eagle LS] seems to have a soft sidewall hence the bubble every 4 months. I do live in NJ and the winter has ruined the streets here. Question: the low profile Goodyear tires just don't seem to hold up for me, can I put a higher profile tire on my rim? Maybe that will stop the bubbles. Going to the dealer is becoming a hassle [4 times now!!].

·
Registered
139 Posts
geeze poor Ls's i had them on my other car and I thought their worst aspect was the grip :) sry for your troubles

·
Registered
444 Posts
see, and i have never really owned any sort of sport car never-the-less sport tires... but I find the LS-2 offer really good grip for a touring tire. to put this in perspective, my cousin has a supra on 18" Eagle F1's. There is an overpass just south of Calgary with a decently large, dual lane 270 degree loop. his supra did it at about 95km/h with lots of squeal and slight over steer. My koup did it at 105km/h without so much as a chirp... i dont know what you guys are complaining about grip for... i think these tires are awesome. That said... it really sucks that you have been having so many problems with them Michael... it may be worth "mentioning" to Goodyear directly rather than just your dealer.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
I agree with Deuce-Koup. and all due respect to miceal. if you get 4 tire bubbles, maybe the problem isn't the driver, but its the driver fault.

I have 10K on it and don't have a single bubble, most people don't have them, so i say go slow over pot holes, or avoid them all together, or downsize rims

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What makes this even more perplexing to me is that I hardly drive the car, I only have 5K miles on it since owning if for 14 months. And when I do drive it, I baby it and avoid all potholes and bad roads. I use my Miata as my daily driver and those have low profile Cooper tires with absolutely no problem. I beat the crap out of the Miata for daily driving and racing at the track. I am afraid to drive the Koup because of this problem, so it just sits in my garage. Good thing I have my Miata!

·
Registered
444 Posts
I never did have any bubbles, but I did get a flat tire a week after I bought the car. My wife and I went down to Cardston for a friends wedding and when we woke up the next morning, our front passenger tire was flat. I took it to a local repair shop and they told me they couldn't patch it because the hole was "too close to the sidewall". I asked them to mark it for me so I could look for myself and lo-and-behold, a pin-sized hole in the dead center of the sidewall. A can of Fix-a-Flat later, and the tire held pressure for the next two months till I switched to my winters. But come spring I get to replace one tire. Not exactly excited about that...

·
Registered
567 Posts
Anyone blaming the driver for air bubbles has never driven on a NJ road in winter. I got a flat in my back passenger side tire about 2 months ago and had that replaced, just discovered an air bubble on my front driver side tire. I'm also in NJ and have had my car utterly rocked by potholes. When I say potholes I mean 3 feet by 3 feet behemoths that occur right next to each other and give you no place to avoid missing them. I'm looking to get new tires soon, I'd like to get new rims too but that seems out of my budget atm.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,891 Posts
Where are you seeing the bubbles on the side wall? Are they always in the same location, like near the tread or nearer to the rim? If the bubbles are in the same general location I'd say the tires have a defect!

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
The LS2 has a crappy sidewall. 2 months after getting my car one of my tires developed a few pin hole leaks all around the sidewalls. I've never had pin holes develop on any tire on the side of the tire facing the wheel well. If it was just on the street facing side I'd understand that I curb'd it (which I didn't).

In addition there's way too much sidewall flex, that's my proof they are crappy.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Did the Koup come with goodyears stock?? I don't have them so I'm just wondering if the guy that had the car first replaced the tires after 4500 miles?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles. The NJ/NY roads has taken a huge toll on my tires as well. Hitting those unavoidable craters are the worst. I had to replace a tire this past weekend after hitting one that put a hole on the sidewall. I don't believe Goodyear used this area for their testing ground before releasing these tires :). They would have really been put to the test. The grip is amazing, but their longevity don't stand much of a chance versus the horrific roads. I don't know how people drive around with huge rims in this area. I'm paranoid as it is with the stock tires.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts