Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2.0l 5 speed manual koup and have issues with changing into second gear which can be very notchy and sometimes have difficulty to get into without a good tug. Has anyone else noticed this with their 5 speed and is there a fix as my dealer says its normal?

Also after spirited excelleration in first and second, excelleration goes flat for a moment going into third before picking up again again is there a fix for this to have continual excelleration rather than a dip then a pick up.

Would a performance chip help with this and what chip company is recomended without having to snip wires.

·
Registered
149 Posts
AT low RPM, first to second is easy but when I go to 6000 RPM and change from 1 to 2, it's very hard . Dealer can do nothing !

·
Registered
973 Posts
mine's definitely gotten better with time, in regards to the transmission
I'm at 13k miles now.
and maybe the issue with acceleration has to do with the clutch delay valve? I know I always want to shift quicker than the cdv allows.
does the tcs light come on (if you dont have it turned off like I always do)
I've never chirped tires into third but it may be close to a slipping point and get caught by tcs?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't think that the "notchy" feel is caused by the CDV. My 5 speed focus had the same issue for 1st to 2nd so I think is more of a break-in and hardware issue. Ill be replacing the bushings in the shift linkages to try and get rid of some of the play.

·
Registered
436 Posts
You might give Redline MT-90 fluid a try. Mine was a little stubborn during its first winter, and the MT-90 cured it. I had the same problem you're having with my 2006 Mazdaspeed 6...the higher I revved it, the more it fought me on the 1-2 shift. MT-90 also cured that.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have a 2.0l 5 speed manual koup and have issues with changing into second gear which can be very notchy and sometimes have difficulty to get into without a good tug. Has anyone else noticed this with their 5 speed and is there a fix as my dealer says its normal?
( Quote)
My first Forte EX Sedan (built 2009) was what you described, very hard to get into second especially when the engine was cold, also to get from 2nd to 1st when stopped at the traffic lights.
I traded that car in on a 2010 Koup 2.0l 5 speed but here in Australia with all the options as the US SX Koup. This car is totally different to drive, the gears are so smooth and easy to engage no notchiness or grating at all.
On the old EX I did the CDV modification which helped a bit but with this Koup I haven't bothered as it feels just right to me.
So maybe Kia has made some modifications to the 2010 cars

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi guys.

I had a discussion with Kia New Zealand and they authorised my dealer to replace the gearbox fluid and lubricate linkages, which made a slight difference. They also took out the CCV and this has made starting off in first gear 100% better as well as changing down in lower gears, i think the stiff gear change will solve its self with wear overthe forthcoming ks. Hopefully this will be the last issue with the car.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
my car is bult in 2009/ 9
And I have had some trouble shifting when cold but with miles its worked itself out nicely
10,000 miles
just in case anybody wanted to know :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
You might give Redline MT-90 fluid a try. Mine was a little stubborn during its first winter, and the MT-90 cured it. I had the same problem you're having with my 2006 Mazdaspeed 6...the higher I revved it, the more it fought me on the 1-2 shift. MT-90 also cured that.
What is MT-90 ? where do we put this ?? Thanks

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
What is MT-90 ? where do we put this ?? Thanks
that is a gear lube, it goes into the trasaxle :) the 90 should be the weight/grade
MT I guess stands for manual Transmission or in our case transaxle

1 - 10 of 10 Posts