Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Try and follow me on this....

Shopping for HID low and fogs - I'm looking at a 6000K kit since I get nice color while still brighter illumination compared to going higher K value. I know fogs will be 35W, but I wouldn't mind the brighter output of a 55W kit for my lows. Both fogs and lows will be on a harness.

However, DDM says
- ''Our 55w HID kits are 40% brighter than the standard 35w kits.''
- ''55w kits tend to wash out some of the color of the HID bulb due to the light output( for example, a 55w 8000k will look similar in color to a 35w 6000k kit).''

A 35W 6000k kit produces a stronger 'flood' of useful light on the road than a 35W 8000K, but the 35W 8000K would look bluer. Would it be worth it to try and get a 55W 8000K low kit to match the 35W 6000K fog kit color, while producing as much 'flood' of useful light if not more than a 35W 6000K kit for the lows?

If my lows produce more light being 55W thats fine, but I want the color between lows and fogs to be the same. Basically my options are:

----Lows-----------------Fogs-------
1. -35W 6000K----------35W 6000K
2. -55W 6000K----------35W 6000K
3. -55W 8000K----------35W 6000K

Follow me?

What are your guys' opinions or experience if you are running any of these combos?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have 35w 6000k lows and fogs and its perfect. The color is 90%white 10%blue which is perfect and it looks sharp !!

55w is just too much, cost more, create more heat and you have to install a harness kit.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I plan on installing 55w 5k lows & 35w 5k fogs, both on relays. I know thw lows will wash out the colour a bit but I am okay with that, as at 5k they will be white and not blue at all.

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
IMO 55w is way too bright. Everytime I see someone on the road with them it pisses me off because they're so blinding.

Are you trying to match the lows and fogs because you know the fogs don't have a bulb cover on them and will look different? You could try a 35w 5000k low and a 35w 4300k fog or a 35w 6000k low and a 35w 5000k fog.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IMO 55w is way too bright. Everytime I see someone on the road with them it pisses me off because they're so blinding.

Are you trying to match the lows and fogs because you know the fogs don't have a bulb cover on them and will look different? You could try a 35w 5000k low and a 35w 4300k fog or a 35w 6000k low and a 35w 5000k fog.
I knew the fogs didn't have a cover, but I wasn't taking in to account that change. As long as the colour was as close as possible.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I won't have it done til the new year but I will post pics after completion.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have done your Option one and two. Started life with #2, and yes, the 55W low beams are WAY too bright. Heat wasn't an issue in the Forte housing as there is enough space inside to allow the heat to dissipate, but the light was terrible, and just 'too much'. I went down to 35's in both and am in absolute bliss. You don't realize just how absolutely pathetic the factory fogs are until you put a decent bulb output into it, and they are awesome housings.

I have 5000K in both, and never could tell a difference between the colour difference from 55W vs. 35W. I think that's mostly because they are 'so' white... what colour can be washed out?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Safe to say 35W 6000K for lows and fogs will be a significant upgrade over stock, without being hazardous to other drivers or attracting police attention as a 55W low kit would?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.