Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seems to be a limit (64GB?) on USB sticks that store songs for the Forte 5. Does anyone know if there is a way to expand that limit?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Some people need/ want their entire music catalogue with them in case they travel for a living....

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
342 Posts
64gb can hold up to 6,000 - 12,000 songs depending on the file sizes. Guess you're planning to drive for 30 days straight?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I just don't understand why there is a size limit so small. I would prefer to use FLAC format for my songs but this uses about 5X more space so I am limited to MP3 which is a lower quality format. I was hoping there was some simple hack to exapnd the size limit. I will try separate partitions

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No luck partitioning the USB. The entertainment software only recognizes one partition. Tried partitioning as FAT 32 and NTFS, no luck.

·
Registered
609 Posts
No luck partitioning the USB. The entertainment software only recognizes one partition. Tried partitioning as FAT 32 and NTFS, no luck.
Put your most favorite in FLAC and the rest in high bit mp3 or another format.

Maybe your ears won't discern the difference when streaming FLAC via BT from your phone?

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well this is a bit disappointing. I was hoping to use a spare external SSD that's larger than 64GB and just copy my entire music collection (FLAC format) to it for use.

Good information shared here will save me the aggravation of trying...thanks.

EDIT:. Here's a nice Music Storage Calculator...

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I would prefer to use FLAC format for my songs but this uses about 5X more space so I am limited to MP3 which is a lower quality format.
Based on the factory HU and speakers, I highly doubt you would notice the difference in quality between FLAC and MP3.

Reactions: El Spicoli

·
Registered
50 Posts
Will that apply to the GT with the GT2 Package that has:
Harman Kardon® Premium Audio w/ Clari-Fi™, 320 Watts, 8 Speakers, and Integrated Subwoofer

Was just trying to not have to batch convert 100s of albums.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just thought I'd post a little update since I finally got my 2021 Forte GT2. Not sure if its a case of maybe newer software on the 2021, but I have no 64GB limit that I can see.

I have a spare 128GB SSD (FAT32 format) plugged into my system full of FLAC files. Has no trouble reading and playing anything I have on it with one exception...it won't play 24/96 files. It will play 24/48 just fine though.

Why 24/48? Well, that's what my collection on my music server at home is that feeds my main music system. And I didn't want to take the time to batch convert to MP3 if I didn't have to, plus I wanted to see what the Forte's HU could actually play.

I have over 3000 songs/~200 albums loaded on the 128GB SSD. My basic layout is a folder in the root directory for the Album Artist and then a folder for each their albums in that folder. All tagged properly and embedded with album art too. I use dBpoweramp for those that care.

Example:

ACDC
(1975) T.N.T. [Original Australian Pressing][24-48]
(1976) Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap [Australian Pressing][24-48]

So I'm now wondering what the upper limit is for songs, folders, drive size is. I may have a spare 240GB to test out soon. If that work then I'll get one of those little Samsung Fit Plus 256GB USB drive as the 2.5" SATA SSD is a little clunky. Although it fits nicely in the wireless charging area.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just thought I'd post a little update since I finally got my 2021 Forte GT2. Not sure if its a case of maybe newer software on the 2021, but I have no 64GB limit that I can see.

I have a spare 128GB SSD (FAT32 format) plugged into my system full of FLAC files. Has no trouble reading and playing anything I have on it with one exception...it won't play 24/96 files. It will play 24/48 just fine though.

Why 24/48? Well, that's what my collection on my music server at home is that feeds my main music system. And I didn't want to take the time to batch convert to MP3 if I didn't have to, plus I wanted to see what the Forte's HU could actually play.

I have over 3000 songs/~200 albums loaded on the 128GB SSD. My basic layout is a folder in the root directory for the Album Artist and then a folder for each their albums in that folder. All tagged properly and embedded with album art too. I use dBpoweramp for those that care.

Example:

ACDC
(1975) T.N.T. [Original Australian Pressing][24-48]
(1976) Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap [Australian Pressing][24-48]

So I'm now wondering what the upper limit is for songs, folders, drive size is. I may have a spare 240GB to test out soon. If that work then I'll get one of those little Samsung Fit Plus 256GB USB drive as the 2.5" SATA SSD is a little clunky. Although it fits nicely in the wireless charging area.
I think there is a 8000 track/folder limit

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a 2020 Forte5.I would prefer to use FLAC files as converting FLAC to MP3 is a big hassle. I have tried a USB with FLAC on it some time agoand it seemed to top out at 64 GB but will try again sometime. Hopefully Kia has updated the software

1 - 17 of 17 Posts