Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im about to buy a new SX Koup but I keep hearing about the M/T problems. I was really looking at getting the M/T but is it worth it with all the problems or should I just stick to the A/T?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive just been reading here on the forums and on other websites that the M/T is "sloppy" or the engine needs to be revved up to get going in 1st gear and sometimes going from 1st to 2nd. Doesnt sound like anything major but just not looking to run into any tranny problems on my first "new" car.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Ainokea, even if something happens to the tranny, KIA has an amazing warranty so you would be covered anyway..10 yrs, 100k miles bumper to bumper and powertrain will cover it for the life of the car so I wouldn't worry about problems. The M/T is a lot of fun to drive and the koup sx handles rly nicely so I would def recommend the 6 speed!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Fun 6spd

Ainokea have you tried the 6spd mt yet? I think the majority of people saying the shiftter is sloppy are coming from VW's and Hondas, and in reality it probably isn't as smooth as one of those. However, I've been driving a 2.4 6MT for about 3500 miles now and it only gets better as you keep driving it :D

The auto is only a 5spd as well and while quick, isn't quite as fun as the MT.

I had a friend drive my Koup who has driven BMWs, Acuras and VW's with manuals and was impressed with what 17k will buy you. He had no complaints about the shifter and basically said it just has a different feel.

Bottom line, try before you buy... chances are you'll love it ;)

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
NepaForte is right. You should test drive it first. I came from a civic and actually stalled twice in the test drive and a few times when I bought the car but now being almost 3000 miles into the car, I have no problems and love driving it!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 6 speed Manual, it an OK gear box, there is an issue from 1st to 2nd, but in the do it your self forum there is a fix, which I did and its now great, it use to stall if you didnt rev it, now that problem as gone!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bottom line, try before you buy... chances are you'll love it ;)

I would love too but they dont have any 2.4 6spd here or within 100 miles of here... not very smart marketing in this area but it is what it is. I guess ill have to wait. The test drive is the deciding factor right now for me.

Thanks for all your input... greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
453 Posts
with the m/t i thought the clutch was soft but after a week you get used to it. go with the m/t:):D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i will definitely give it a shot. Now all im waiting on is for them to get a 6spd m/t from somewhere... might take a while... :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Im about to buy a new SX Koup but I keep hearing about the M/T problems. I was really looking at getting the M/T but is it worth it with all the problems or should I just stick to the A/T?
Kia is going with a 6-speed auto for the 11 model year. Likely to be at dealers sometime around Oct-Nov. The existing 6-speed MT might get refined as well.

Other things coming are a revised dash with softer materials, a small drop in ride height, dash info system to rival Ford's SYNC, push button start, and optional navigation.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I wanted the m/t but they didn't have any at the dealer and were not scheduled to get any anytime soon. So, I went with the a/t SX I really enjoy it especially in the tiptronic mode. I didn't know they were gonna put 6 a/t in 11 model might have to look into a tranny swap in the future if it's possible. Either way I think you'll be pleased with whatever you decide to go with. On a side note I've been driving a stick for 12+ years and thought I would hate an a/t but with tiptronic I drive it just like I drove a m/t with the downshifting and engine and all and it performs just the same just have to adjust to not having a clutch, it's not exactly the same but either the car peforms just have to adjust and do a few things differently. I would say test drive both and mess around with them a bit see how the feel to you and most important how they react to your input. Sorry for the long post, I'm a bit bored today. Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well... finally got to test drive the 6spd SX... WOOOOOOW:D:cool:. Absolutely fell in love with that car. Workin some numbers and deals... hopefully will be a new Koup owner in a few days. Thanks for all the input from everyone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts