Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HOLY SH*T!!!!! That's all I have to say! You're a fool if you have a 6spd m/t and DON'T get the TWM short shifter. That thing is f*cking great!! It's like night and day. Cleaner shorter shifts, the reverse lock out is so much better. It's awesome! Not only does it perform better, it looks better!! There's a lot less play in the shifts, and it's more fun to slap it into the next gear.

These guys did a great job on this thing. Not only that, the detailed instructions make it pretty easy to install. Some parts are a pain in the a$$ but overall it was pretty good. It took about an hour and 15 mins total and that was from removing the first screw to tightening the last one. I highly recommend it. So save your money kiddies and go get it!!! I also recommend the bushing kit and the cable bushings. (which I didn't install because I ran out of sunlight) but that looks easy to put in also.

Overall
design A+
Craftsmanship A+
shift response A+
install A (some annoying parts for example...removing the push nut)

Just get it!!! That's all I have to say!!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
^^^
Yes I agree this short throw shifter and bushing set worth the effort

@KIA I put my short throw in with out the new bushings on the tranny..
and felt 3 was alittle sloppy then I put the new brass bushings on the tranny side and it was like a huge diffrence again, and 3 felt so much more direct let me know if you notice the same thing, I'm just curious if it was just me :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Very true. At that time I couldn't wait around so, I choose the next best thing. They still should develop one for the 5 spd. I want to have that holy sh*t moment too lol.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I just put this in 2 days ago and fkn LOVE it!!! I had a lot of trouble in different spots of the install tho and the instructions were wrong at a couple points that i noticed. I slit my hand a few times on a flat head and it took me a few hours but the final result is so worth it!

2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just put this in 2 days ago and fkn LOVE it!!! I had a lot of trouble in different spots of the install tho and the instructions were wrong at a couple points that i noticed. I slit my hand a few times on a flat head and it took me a few hours but the final result is so worth it!
Hahahaha i had my dad help me and he sliced his hand too with a flatblade trying to remove the push nut! Job ain't done till someone gets bloody!

And yea, shifting is so much better now. I'm gonna wait till next week to install the cable bushings..... Do they make that much of a difference?

·
Registered
695 Posts
The bushings do help, make the base feel more solid and cables switch cleaner. The stock ones are some sort of rubber and are way to soft to be precise.

2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea I just went out for a test run and I guess I was having a little too much fun cause I got pulled over.....right infront of my own house =\ lol

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,880 Posts
Yea I just went out for a test run and I guess I was having a little too much fun cause I got pulled over.....right infront of my own house =\ lol
So, Is this short shifter gonna cost you some more money via a ticket...LoL?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Honestly man the cable bushings are rly easy to put in. I luckily have a CAI so I didn't need to take out the airbox but it's just a few steps. The E clips were actually a bitch to get on and I bent one of them :( but whatever lol don't really know if it makes a difference but everything together is awesome and driving is so much more fun

·
Registered
6 Posts
^^^
Yes I agree this short throw shifter and bushing set worth the effort

@KIA I put my short throw in with out the new bushings on the tranny..
and felt 3 was alittle sloppy then I put the new brass bushings on the tranny side and it was like a huge diffrence again, and 3 felt so much more direct let me know if you notice the same thing, I'm just curious if it was just me :)
yes you are right i love the 3rd gear,but my second gear still sloppy

·
Registered
265 Posts
i was thinking about just going with the "official" kia shorthrow shifter... i had enough troubles in the past with other car companies and warranties... god forbid the car I have owned for a week i void the warranty for buying an aftermarket shifter...

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I haven't seen anyone with the OEM short shifter on here to even think that it's any good. TWM makes one hell of a product so I, along with plenty of ppl on here, have a lot of trust in them so I would def recommend their short shifter. They make nice shift knobs too which rly add to the whole package. Just sayyinn...

·
Registered
265 Posts
no doubt they make good shifters. pretty sure that's where i ordered one on my cobalt over a year ago. i just went through two months of warranty battles over aftermarket parts somehow scorching a piston and cracking the oil ring with some impossible technical explanation 9 out of 10 mechanics laughed at... so I'm just worried about going aftermarket anything at the moment lol.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Lmao nah, no ticket! I haven't gotten a ticket in 5 years and I get pulled over at least once a week. Remember, it's not who you know, it's who you blow! Wait, that sounds gay! lol
wooow ur soo gay LMAO

1 - 20 of 27 Posts