Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, just rolled my Koup off the lot with 250 miles on it (Dealer had to pickup in Chicago). The AVG MPG reading is 99.9 and will jump right back to that number after reset. The instant read mpg bar is pegged to the max right.

All of the other readouts including "Miles to Empty" are working properly. This sounds like some input or cable delivering the fuel consumption is loose or malfunctioning.

I took it to the dealer and they had NO CLUE. They have opened a case with KIA. Has anyone else heard of this or have a clue of something I might be able to check quickly myself?

If not, hope to hear back from the Dealer soon.

·
Registered
82 Posts
At least it isn't something affecting drivability of the car. It is probably a wire or sensor somewhere that should be an easy fix, but will take forever to pin-point.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Personally I'd try resetting it by pulling the ground on the battery and go from there, you may want to try that as it won't void anything (other than the clock setting lol).

·
Registered
33 Posts
I test-drove a Soul with a friend of mine and on a few of his rougher starts (manual trans) the MPG would jump up to something ridiculous and then eventually reset itself. I would imagine the usage sensors are a bit tempermental on some of the cars.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I test-drove a Soul with a friend of mine and on a few of his rougher starts (manual trans) the MPG would jump up to something ridiculous and then eventually reset itself. I would imagine the usage sensors are a bit tempermental on some of the cars.
I've but 500 miles on it, since first seeing the problem. So it's not just a short term reading thing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've but 500 miles on it, since first seeing the problem. So it's not just a short term reading thing.

sorry, that was a bit unclear. I believe you may need to get whatever sensor that determines MPG replaced, or at least check connections. Purely speculation though...

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,845 Posts
I'd lay money on whatever sensor the instant read bar uses is the culprit -- or the wiring to it!

·
Registered
196 Posts
If you are averaging 99.9 mpg it would be a good time for a road trip. JK

I am betting on the sensor or a computer reset like already mentioned. Did the dealer try anything at all?

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you are averaging 99.9 mpg it would be a good time for a road trip. JK

I am betting on the sensor or a computer reset like already mentioned. Did the dealer try anything at all?
Not as far as I know. They only had me in there about an hour (Last Friday), and sent me off. I've called multiple times but they keep telling me they don't have anythin back from Kia.

I'm with you, order the part and replace it, seems like a good start.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: Kia decided to replace my entire speedometer cluster. Came in yesterday and then they had to ship it to CA to get programed! GEESH!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Next step new car...

It would suck a brand new machine not functioning properly. :mad:
I read on the lemon law 4 failed attempts at fixing the problem or keeping your car 30 business days in the shop would land you a replacement.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts