Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, guys before you say use the search bar.. i did! i want more in depth answers about cai. please help me.
i just bought a tk cai blk ed. with pre-filter

i dont have alot of car knowledge, but reading other threads.. how will the ecu cool down without that stock air box? if i remove it will it overheat? if i do keep it.. can i use the factory scoop and run a flexible tube to the box? or does that restrict airflow because it's not smooth? i am aware of hydrolocking but i shouldn't be concerned right? i dont go through rivers but we have crazy storms here in florida. and does it really add 7hp/6trq? did i buy a good intake? did i waste my money? my friend said he can get one cheaper but i said ill have to pop out of foglight or something.

much appreciated..:D

2,213 Posts
No ones had a problem with the ecu over heating. As long as air is coming into the engine compartment. Remove the air scoop and guess what, fresh air still gets in. You're only problem would be mounting the ecu. As it used to mount to the air box. Some company makes a mount, not sure which one. You won't get hydro lock unless you submerge your car in 2 feet of water so I wouldn't worry about that. As far as getting one cheaper....remember the saying....you get what you pay for! Sure it costs $50....cause it sucks!! Stick with the tk one. It's been tested a numerous amounts of times, and not one complaint!

P.s. This was actually all in the search button!! ;)
Probably worded it wrong!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yes K I A is right.......you see I don't have a knowledge on installing a CAI but the step by step instructions that came with it made it so easy for me to install the CAI and it only took me 45 min. and I took for a run and the sound oh yah. The ECU bracket should come with the package from TK

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
There is plenty of air moving around in the engine bay when the car is moving or when the radiator fan kicks in, this is more than enough to cool the ECU.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Yeah dont worry about the ECU not cooling, I've had mine out for a couple of month and its more than cold (even on 5 hour trips)

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
I'm not using the TK CAI (yet), but i've not had any issues with ECU overheating.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Same here have the TK CAI and no issues with ecu or hydro lock.

Also issues with the search button, will not work with 3 letter words (CAI). Use the google search in the upper left corner works better. Hope that helps and good luck with the install. Shouldn't be difficult.

·
Site Sponsor
1,809 Posts
Sportage, New Optima Turbo, Genesis V6 Coupe all have the ECU under the hood in about the same spot as the Forte and NON of them hook it to the air box. Your fine :)

okay, guys before you say use the search bar.. i did! i want more in depth answers about cai. please help me.
i just bought a tk cai blk ed. with pre-filter

i dont have alot of car knowledge, but reading other threads.. how will the ecu cool down without that stock air box? if i remove it will it overheat? if i do keep it.. can i use the factory scoop and run a flexible tube to the box? or does that restrict airflow because it's not smooth? i am aware of hydrolocking but i shouldn't be concerned right? i dont go through rivers but we have crazy storms here in florida. and does it really add 7hp/6trq? did i buy a good intake? did i waste my money? my friend said he can get one cheaper but i said ill have to pop out of foglight or something.

much appreciated..:D

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Turbokits and crock would have experienced issues if there were any since they run hotter with that turbo under the hood and the ECU mounted on the same bracket as the CAI.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
reply all: wow!!! you guys rock! came home from work wasn't going to expect alot of answers... this forum is awesome!! thanks for the answers!!

hopefully my last questions here...lol
so it is necessary to remove the ecu for a bit and replug it on to learn the new changes? i guess ill zip tie the ecu or does the tk bracket fix this?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
the TK bracket works great as long as you take out that metal spacer on the rubber mount so you can bolt it down tighter. Mine doesn't move at all with it bolted this way.
Undue the negative terminal on the battery after you have parked and shut it off for a few minutes (I left mine to sit for an hour, also gave time for engine to cool down). Let the car idle for a few after putting in the CAI so the ECU can learn.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
if you zip tie it, make sure its tight so it doesn't wabble around. and as for unplugging it, theres no use. its easier to just disconnect the battery. (and attempt to turn on your lights or something to release any electric charge in the system) then reconnect the battery and you're good.

·
Site Sponsor
1,809 Posts
Yeah, 10,000% Remove the metal spacer and crank that baby down, ours is as hard as a rock! LOL

the TK bracket works great as long as you take out that metal spacer on the rubber mount so you can bolt it down tighter. Mine doesn't move at all with it bolted this way.
Undue the negative terminal on the battery after you have parked and shut it off for a few minutes (I left mine to sit for an hour, also gave time for engine to cool down). Let the car idle for a few after putting in the CAI so the ECU can learn.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
oh ok, thanks TK. hopefully ill get it tomorrow..have a auto savvy friend help me.(not the one that argued with me about the cai, lol)...maybe make a thread about my install.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.