Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weighed my car on the trucker scales and it weighed in at 2840 lbs, 1740 front, 1100 rear, making weight distribution about 61/39
this was with about 8 gallons of gas in it and about 30 lbs of stuff in the car that wouldn't be there during a race, so figure 2750ish without driver, 2900 with me in it. Pretty decent race weight for a modern car, if you ask me. This is a sedan lx manual trans, so the curb weight of 2729 is pretty close.

Other news; ran at the school sponsored drag event again this year and made it to the final eight, where I was AGAIN knocked out of contention by a non-street legal purpose-built drag car (a nova). I ran .085 over my dial in time, he only ran .026 over his. If I would have reacted better (.125 r/t) then I would have won. I DEFINITELY won the award for best reaction time at the event with a .003, so I got that going for me. With the bigger wheels and tires I ran a 10.8 pretty much steadily. Thats .3 slower even with the increased grip and much better r/t's than last time, so I will be buying the widest DOT race tires I can fit on my stock 15" steelies and running again when the car has some more done to it. Car gave me no problems for the most part, minus when second wouldn't go in for a second (as happens occasionally on the street when I try to shift quick) and when I let up on the clutch a bit too quick and spun through first into second.
A couple cars there surprised me, mainly the 1.8t jettas which were running high 13's, and the maxima with the vq35 running low 9's (!!!!)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Is that 10.8 for the quarter mile? Are we talking about a Forte? If so, what have you done to it? Boosted? That's awfully fast for a Forte.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is that 10.8 for the quarter mile? Are we talking about a Forte? If so, what have you done to it? Boosted? That's awfully fast for a Forte.
don't know why but I forgot to put that this was at the 1/8 track. I really want to run a quarter mile track though. (maybe one day in ten seconds, lol)
It's stock except the cdv is taken out, the air filter is replaced with a k&n, I have a 2.5" catback with a magnaflow muffler, and 17x7 wheels with much better tires

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have no experience racing, but I've been driving for 42 years, so I've learned a little bit about cars over the years. It does not surprise me that your times were slower with the wider tires. I would expect them to be even slower with even wider tires. If you were pushing 3 or 400 HP then wider tires might help you put the power down. But in this case I think the wider tires are only presenting more drag. A pretty much stock Forte LX doesn't need help putting the power down, in my opinion.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have no experience racing, but I've been driving for 42 years, so I've learned a little bit about cars over the years. It does not surprise me that your times were slower with the wider tires. I would expect them to be even slower with even wider tires. If you were pushing 3 or 400 HP then wider tires might help you put the power down. But in this case I think the wider tires are only presenting more drag. A pretty much stock Forte LX doesn't need help putting the power down, in my opinion.
go to the strip and experience the traction issues firsthand, then you will see the need for wider tires. I still have to let the clutch out steadily to avoid spinning, let it out to quick one run and spun through first into second.
Before the new tires, I was spinning and hopping through first no matter what.
The thing that really cost me time was the actual rolling circumference of the new tires, being 235 40 17, they were about 1" taller then the stock tires, meaning 3.14" more circumference roughly.
the increased width and better tread pattern served to gain me back some of the time I lost though, and I was only running 1 to 2 mph slower in the end, because of my increased traction.

rolling circumference presents much more of an issue with speed than tire width

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Like I said, I've never raced, so I'll take your word for it.
It kind of surprised me how bad it still was with my wider tires lol
Stock tires, though, it was un-trackable. There was no way to be consistent with it lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts