Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So you bought a new (or used) Kia Forte. Maybe this is your first car, maybe it's your 12th. Personally, this is the first car I've ever owned. My other was a hand me down, thus didn't give two shits about it. Now that I've got a car that's mine, I'd like to know as much as possible. So here are some Q's for you veterans out there:

-What's the best oil to feed our baby?

-If there's three accessories/modifications that are a must, what are they?

-What are some pro's and cons to those air intake thingy's?

-Investing in rims, a two parter:
1. If my car came with 15'' OEM shit rims, I can 'upgrade' to 17'' tires w/rims correct?
2. Does doing so improve anything else besides making it gorgeous?

-Protection. What do you use? And what do you use to protect your car? ;)
That's all I've got. Feel free to add to the Q list.

·
Registered
153 Posts
-Royal Purple 5w20

-Cold air intake,cat-back exhaust or high flow muffler, strut tower brace.

-More power, faster throttle response, rev matching is improved some.
The only con is you might need to switch is back to stock for the winters.
Might not have to considering we have warm coolent running through the throttle body.

- You can get 17' rims with 215/45R17 tires. If you get lighter rims rotating mass counts 4 fold on weight reduction.

- Short aluminium baseball bat.

·
Registered
489 Posts
So you bought a new (or used) Kia Forte. Maybe this is your first car, maybe it's your 12th. Personally, this is the first car I've ever owned. My other was a hand me down, thus didn't give two shits about it. Now that I've got a car that's mine, I'd like to know as much as possible. So here are some Q's for you veterans out there:

That's all I've got. Feel free to add to the Q list.
1. Amsoil, anything else is just regular oil (even mobil 1 synthetic has become quite mediocre)
2. Tint, good wax cause the paint is thin, and lowering springs
3. Cold Air Intake
Pros: More horsepower, longer filter life, improves sound of the engine
Cons: May void warranty, depending on location of the filter you can suck up water and hydrolock your engine, typically they reduce low end torque
4. There is no reason to change the wheel size that came with your car unless you are trying to fit slicks on a 500 horsepower car. The only improvement you gain will be looks, if you were going to replace the OEM wheels with same size rims/tires then you could possibly gain acceleration/handling improvement
5. I use Turtle Wax Ice spray on wax, thinking about switching to auto glym

·
Registered
133 Posts
-What's the best oil to feed our baby?
If you want a great oil for a low price: MOBILE 5000 (Walmart has lowest price) High end oil: ROYAL PURPLE, which is not needed. You don't have the torque or horsepower stock to need such an expensive oil. Just change your oil consintantly

Invest in some good floor mats to protect your current floormats and floor
Invest in GREAT seat covers.
If you have the plastic shifter then I would order a nice leather or billet shifter.

-What are some pro's and cons to those air intake thingy's?
Pro: Improved torque (not much) Con: MAYBE degrade your MPG

-Investing in rims, a two parter:
1. If my car came with 15'' OEM shit rims, I can 'upgrade' to 17'' tires w/rims correct? YES
2. Does doing so improve anything else besides making it gorgeous?
YES, if you get larger tires than the standard it may correct your speedometer error. Meaning that with stock tires, you can be traveling at what appears to be 65MPH on your speedometer, but in actuality your are really going 62/63 MPH

-Protection. What do you use? And what do you use to protect your car?
Wash my car about every 3 days, use only clean microfibers to wipe anything in or on this car.
Use glass towels for interior wiping of dust. (moist glass towel)
Carry a small can of computer duster to get the dash by the windshield clean and to blow out the vents and CD tray and nooks and crannies.
Park far away from people or park next to nice cars.
Try to park in the shade.
I have a special sunshade that actually covers the top of my car from the windshield/over the top/to back window, it also droops over the sides and stays in place with magnets inside the cloth.

and drive nice. Trust me. it will pay off. If you rev your engine alot it wears your Motor and Tranny mounts really quick which will in turn, cause other damages. It will just domino effect. Drive nice. Best tip I could give anyone. I speak from experience. I drove my other car hard, only 133,000 miles and it need tranny rebuilt and the motor mounts changed.

·
Registered
133 Posts
oh and most important****** TO EVERYONE

Make sure you keep all of your oil change receipts. Try to keep a small binder in the glove box with all maintenance records.

This way the dealer will honor the warranty if something goes wrong. They will always require records before starting work under warranty.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Idk much about oil, my dad usually takes care of that for me but three mods I would say are a must is tints, cold air intake, and if money isn't a problem then rims (personally I like the OEM sx rims but a lot of ppl don't).

The only con that I can think of with a cold air intake is that if you need to put the car in the shop for anything, it's recommended to replace the stock intake so they can't say the new intake caused whatever damage there may be causing the dealership visit. Plenty of pros for it tho including better gas milage, more HP (turbo kits CAI is dyno test proven to be about 7-10 hp gain), and if you go with turbo kits and follow their instructions, hydrolocking is very unlikely becuz the filter is literally sitting on top of a splash guard so unless u go deep down into a puddle up to your fog lights (or where they would be on the ex) and going at high speeds then you shouldn't worry about that.

Cleaning is pretty simple. I wash my car about once a week whenever I have time but I try and make the time cuz it looks so nice when it shines. I have a small duster in my glove compartment for interior dust (it sure does get dusty) and I personally don't go crazy with leather conditioners and all of that I just use armor all wipes for most surfaces but these aren't recommended by a lot of ppl so I prob will stop using these (I keep these in the arm rest compartment)

Whatever you do to your car it's gunna look amazing so just be safe and like a previous post said, just have a small aluminum bat and you're fine :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Invest in some good floor mats to protect your current floormats and floor
Invest in GREAT seat covers.
If you have the plastic shifter then I would order a nice leather or billet shifter.
Any particular place they sell nice look leather shifters for automatics?

-Protection. What do you use? And what do you use to protect your car?
I have a special sunshade that actually covers the top of my car from the windshield/over the top/to back window, it also droops over the sides and stays in place with magnets inside the cloth.

I'm having a difficult time imagining what this looks like.
Thanks for all of your input, keep 'em coming!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hey, congratz on your purchase too. Kia has come along way. Yesterday someone looked at my car and said " That's a Kia!?!?" I said yup, "WOW, Thats a nice car for being a Kia"

I said Kia is just as good as any other foreign car now a days. The car feels nice and looks nice. Only time will tell if it will last, but I don't plan on racing it, so it should last a long time.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
SHIFTER:
OEM 08 10 Kia Forte AT Glossy Black Gear Shift Knob: eBay Motors (item 170528393247 end time Aug-23-10 18:43:16 PDT)

Sunshade looks kind of like this but uglier: I actually got it from one of my forclosed properties. It was the occupants invention that hasn't actually been sold yet. He left 1000's of them at the property.

hahhahahh- how i missed this- i dont know-
but wow-you got thousands of them?

dont know what shape they are in- but i'd say- look into moving them into the west pacific/asian market...... they will sell like hotcakes
good luck w/your asian expansion! :)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
and secondary note- i like that crazy ass roof condom cuz it keeps the cabin cool-
it looks like its got nice soft stuff underneath to keep from scratching the paint/glass,
and it keep the motherfucking birdsfrompoopingontheroof....
i dunno what is the deal w/my black koup- but it seems like the mo'fo'ing black birds wanna poop on it every chance they can get..........not on the hood, not on the trunk, but only on the roof- no matter where i park....
i am not sure ...perhaps the sunroof is pissing them off?

·
Registered
4 Posts
OK>

I
have read the thread and have a question. What EXACTLY does Keep oil change reciepts? I mean I intend to change mine before the maintenance schedule calls for it BUT I can change the oil myself and over the life of the car save quite a bit of money. I have changed oil in my vehicles for 30+ years. If I keep the store receipt at best all it proves is WHEN the oil and filter were bought. Not when it was changed. Is there a way to find out EXACTLY what satisfies the warranty
'

I had an 05 Spectra I bought new and I took it to a lube place for the first several years then started doing it on my own. I wrote it down and kept it in the owners manual sleeve. I just need to know what they would really accept.

Thanks!

·
Registered
642 Posts
You should ask your dealer. Most will give you a different answer, so asking yours specifically would be best. BTW THIS THREAD IS OVER TWO YEARS OLD!!

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
Welcome to the site glshubert. I imagine keeping the sales receipts and a log of the maintenance performed should suffice. But as mentioned, ask the dealer where you plan on going in the case of a warranty claim exactly what they would require. I always make a habit of remembering the employee and their name when being told these things in case it is a problem for some reason in the future.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts