Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well first this isn't on my car nor do I know of it existing, but it is related to look an appearances. Second I didn't do a search and I don't know if anyone here has done this.

This is obviously just a two minute mock up but it is correct in dimensions and I can make it say whatever I want. I just had the idea while I was driving and haven't done 3D in a long time. Tell me what you think! Maybe if I smooth it out I'll be able to find someone or a shop to mill it out of some plastic or some kind of stainless metal. OR CARBON FIBER!! :eek::eek::eek:

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Let me see if I can sum this up. You are saying you can do custom badges, in a variety of mediums. About right?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you mean by mediums?

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
What do you mean by mediums?
Arinesmith means different materials, such as the ones you listed (Metal, Carbon F, etc.)

on another note, it looks good but i think the font should be changed.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Arinesmith means different materials, such as the ones you listed (Metal, Carbon F, etc.)

on another note, it looks good but i think the font should be changed.
I can only do the model and cover it in a texture that looks like CF or Aluminum and so on. There are shops that can mill these. From what I understand I can just convert it into the file format they need and send it to them. I doubt they can mill it from CF, that was a joke lol.

Here is a picture with a Aluminum texture as the back and a red paint texture for the letters. It's been smoothed out and the font has been changed. There are to man fonts for me to go through so if you know of a font that has proper lines then let me know. Right know it is in Verdana. Oh and I rendered it instead of taking a screenshot. The limits are set by the milling machine. To be honest I can put some very detailed objects in there but the machines might not be able to do that much detail.

·
Registered
524 Posts
in a couple week my company will have a plastic laser cutting machine at my disposal I planned on doing the same thing but with text not replacing emblems if there is high enough demand / interest in this forum id be able to get some custom pieces made for a price TBA. We have the machine we are now training the tech to code the cycles. Keep in mind these will be full cut through plastics.

on your note about emblems its shouldn't be too hard to buy a molding kit from an artstore.

·
Registered
524 Posts
cool, would be awesome if everyone from the forum had their names in the Forte font attached. I'm still perfecting the font have about 16 letters made up so the CAD software should just let me copy/paste/round, and good to go

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cool, would be awesome if everyone from the forum had their names in the Forte font attached. I'm still perfecting the font have about 16 letters made up so the CAD software should just let me copy/paste/round, and good to go
Or you could create the font in windows format and I'm sure CAD has an option to import text. At least my program has the option and it was free.

·
Registered
524 Posts
easier to do it thru cad, id have to convert to cad formats anyway to read to program with 1:1 scale, and i have a copy of cad at home, and the copy at work has the laser coding program right there.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So your telling me CAD doesn't have a option "Input text here, then presto" Mine allows me to set which font "In the windows directory" and then allows me to type it in.

·
Registered
524 Posts
it does but there's no actual font for the Forte text. i found one kinda close but theres not much i can do unless u want another standard font. To me, i'd rather have it match right instead of slapping something on my car that looks like it was pulled off a civic...;)

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh so you have created the letters in CAD and not the other way around I see.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Yep would be a lot easier if it was a standard font or even downloadable but it makes it legal that I'm making all the letters myself well minus the 5 in forte. and I like the creativity aspect were gaining.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In my mind it would have been easier to make the font in PC/MAC and then do it. In the long run it would be ALOT easier to make the emblems/text.

·
Registered
524 Posts
drafters will find any excuse to use Cad programs over word processors lol. In high school i have written a report on the grapes of wrath in AutoCad 2000. need i say more?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't quite follow you man. Sorry I have hard time understanding since all my 3D Modeling is just trial and error. All I have is street smarts basically. Plus I grew up in the woods and got kicked out of high school early lol so I'm a tad bit slow.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I been making lasercuts for about 4 years now, I'm kinda aware of the process of how to have my parts made, and never have i used a word processor to make what i've needed.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well there are multiple ways to do just about everything. I like to do things differently lol

·
Registered
524 Posts
understood, but when making my lettering i'm going to do it the right way so i actually will have a finished product when my coder is ready.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts