Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

2010 Koup 5spd A/T here. Only 5600 KM on the vehicle. Bought new.

The past little while I've noticed my car has been having much more difficulty shifting gears, especially from 1st to 2nd, but also still noticeable going from 2nd to 3rd.

When I first got my car, it would shift smoothly at around 2500rpm, or 3000 if I was pushing it pretty hard.

The past few months it sounds like it wants to shift at around 3000 all the time, but then it won't shift, causing my RPM to sometimes jump upwards of 3500 - 4000. During this period of "high rpm", the car feels like it has a loss of power, and then it will finally shift to 2nd and the rpm will drop back to normal again, until the shift to 3rd gear, which isn't as bad, but still has the same symptoms. From what I've read, this doesn't sound like the "thump" problem that I've read quite a bit about on these forums, it's not very jarring or scary when it happens, I can just tell the engine is struggling to shift, and then it does, as opposed to the loud "thump" that has been described on the boards.

I can "circumvent" this usually by driving in sport mode, and manually shifting a little bit earlier, and it seems to be fairly smooth then.

I've taken it to the dealer when I first noticed it, and the guy took it out and claimed it was "normal" and that there was nothing wrong. I KNOW how the car was driving when I first got it though, and it was not like this. Since then it's gotten a bit worse, and I'm not sure what route to take.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

I've taken it for an oil change recently (at the dealership). I also thought it might just be the cold weather, but it's warmed up here lately and it's still doing it.

I also tried resetting the ECU for the hell of it, by disconnecting the battery and pumping the brakes, but that didn't seem to help either.

Any help would be appreciated :(

·
Registered
312 Posts
Sounds like it's the torque converter and possibly the fluid pump. The transmission needs fluid to convert power from the engine, to the tranmission. The torque converter does this with the aid of the fluid pump to keep the fluid full. If there is a lack of fluid in the torque converter, you'll feel loss of power even when the throttle is increased.

I'm not asking you to fix the problem yourself, but atleast bring it up when you talk to the dealership. Just say along the lines of "I believe it's my torque conveter and fluid pump thats causing the problem" and list your symptoms. I'm just taking a stab at the problem, so I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure thats what it is. Good luck!

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,845 Posts
Remember that this car -- and just about all cars made today -- learn driving habits. The ECU adjusts the way your engine responds as you drive and so does the transmission control module. Restting the ECU will not change the TCM. Try taking your car back to the dealer and if they still say it is normal ask them to reset the TCM to see if you get the original feel back. All they need to do is plug into your car and it takes a couple of minutes to do.

Keep us posted...Good Luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I have an appointment tomorrow, I'll be sure to update the thread with what happens. I just don't want to get bullied into being told it's "normal" like last time. I know how my car was driving for the first few months I got it, and it was nothing like this.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I wouldnt go in there saying "i think my torque converter is messing up" unless your dang sure thats what the issue is.

I would highly advise either remember or write down exactly what its doing and how to get it to do the problem its having also when the problem started. Just saying your transmission is screwy doesnt help them one bit. The more details you give them about the problem the better your outcome would be. Giving a service tech a good amount of info to work with is going to help your issue and help them do their job.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts