Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm warming up to the idea of buying the 35W 6000k kit from DDM w/ wire harness. I really have been opposed because some people down understand they need to point the light down a bit or else it blinds everyone...

My question is this - Would painting the reflectors in the housing say flat black prevent the light from scattering or would it still cause the same problem?

I guess I would also like opinions from people who actually have the 35 W 6000k kit from DDM and maybe even those with the 55W...I've read of what the difference is supposed to be but I'd like comments from you members who have actually bought and tried them and let me know what you think...

thanks everyone....

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
My buddy and i both have the ddm 5000k hid kit but mine is 35W and his is the 55W and his seem way more "blinding" than mine. I dont have mine angled high and neither does he but his are noticeably brighter than mine. As far as painting goes, I've no clue.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Unless you are installing projectors, which would be the proper way to install HIDS, you still need a reflective surface. Flat black is going to absorb way to much light.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Agree'd...
I have installed the 55w 5000K HID's with relay, I re-aimed them to the stock cut off point... They are bright... I used some vinyl as an "EYE LINER" to stop the glare to opposing traffic... Worked great! Then got my hands on 3-D "EYE LINER" works just the same...

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sorry, for the Paint the reflectors...
I wouldn't... Reason being, the light will not reflect off it... Just be like a "glowing orb" sorta speak... Also, if you were to open up the lens, you may not get a 100% seal thus leaving you with premature bulb life and/or condensation in your lens..

Again, just my 2 cents

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
If you are going to bake the headlight to get it open to paint, go ahead and do projectors.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Agree'd...
I have installed the 55w 5000K HID's with relay, I re-aimed them to the stock cut off point... They are bright... I used some vinyl as an "EYE LINER" to stop the glare to opposing traffic... Worked great! Then got my hands on 3-D "EYE LINER" works just the same...

Just my 2 cents.
I've also seen Eye-Liners on ebay, but DAMN they are expensive for what they do. Where did you buy the product to do your own?

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
I'm thinking some carbon fiber di-noc would be a good cutoff "eyeliner".

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
55W are pretty blinding. My lows (35w) aren't really blinding. like it's bareable to drive infront of me. but fogs blind the shit out of anyone infront of me.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
I used tape on a retaining wall, and my 35W lows put the beam right in the middle of the marks I made for the top and bottom of my halogen light pattern. I think the shroud in the middle keeps it from causing the HID glare. I didn't feel the need to use a cutoff at all. Can't wait to drive home tonight and "see" them for the first time.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
55W are pretty blinding. My lows (35w) aren't really blinding. like it's bareable to drive infront of me. but fogs blind the shit out of anyone infront of me.
Noodile, you gonna do 35W on both of your projectors?

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have 6000K 35W hids from DDm and i get less people flashing me with them installed then i did with my stock lights.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
ecko, if you really wanna paint the reflector, then paint the bottom part only

EDIT: here's the area higlighted in red. its been done a lot of times to reduce glare from reflecting upwards

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Yup, 5K. you still doing a single setup? 35?
I think if I'm going to bake the headlight, I might as well do a quad bi-xenon setup. Both 35W

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
I think if I'm going to bake the headlight, I might as well do a quad bi-xenon setup. Both 35W
hahahahaha copy cat. :D (JK). just a heads up. MH1 is a bitch to fit in the highbeams. (tight fit), and lots of dremeling and mounting and stuff. so you better be willing to do work on it.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Screw that then! I'm for simple! I'll do the single,and let you do the Quad!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the comments.....I want to say 6k has more of a "BLUE" to them than 5K, right???

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Thanks for all the comments.....I want to say 6k has more of a "BLUE" to them than 5K, right???
Yup, slightly blue on the 35W, even less on 55W.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts