Kia Forte Forum banner

Above/ In-dash GPS Installed

16K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  michael@microsoftinstruct 
#1 ·
Attached is a few pics of the new GPS I installed in my KOUP. Check it out and would enjoy hearing what y'all think. Thanks:cool:

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
It permanent. But its in a great place for driving and you can look at it while you drive straight ahead. Much safer than a in-dash lower that makes you look down, but hey, they both have voice navigation so you don't really need to look at all. Its nice though the have it at eye level and arms length to touch the display

#4 ·
I have a 7" magellan, have you had any issues with yours? Mine wont stay on, even when its plugged in! The battery dies all the time!

Was this hard to do? I am totally interested in this mod!

#5 ·
No I have had it installed for about a month and it runs great. no problems at all. The install was very unique as I kinda retro-fitted it myself with a bracket and screw from home depot. It not that difficult now that I have done it and could give you step by step instructions if your interested? I actually planned on putting a double din in the dash monitor kit but it is way to shallow for any double-din I have seen. I am still unsure to what Korean Auto-Imports used for their pictures but if its not a portable 7" Road-mate, I have no idea what it could be and where it would be available. Anyways, it took some retrofitting as I said, But I would be willing to send you a step by step instruction pdf or something of that nature if you want? It will be much easier for you now that I have done it and worked out the kinks, so ya its pretty awesome I think. I love it. Works great and always has full signal.

#10 ·
Anyways, it took some retrofitting as I said, But I would be willing to send you a step by step instruction pdf or something of that nature if you want? It will be much easier for you now that I have done it and worked out the kinks, so ya its pretty awesome I think. I love it. Works great and always has full signal.
That is a pretty cool mod:cool: could you let "all of us" know the step by step instructions?

#6 ·
That would be awesome if you could PM me something!

Thanks

#7 ·
Id be happy to no problem. Just give me a day or so to create a PDF and maybe even add some pictures from the install to make it a bit easier. I will try to get it to you as soon as possible. Probably late tomorrow or Tuesday? I think it would be great for someone else to have this rare mod as well. As of now I believe I am the only one in the US or Canada with it, feels pretty cool, especially cause it was done pretty custom. Anyways, I will get right on that.

#8 ·
Thanks! Gives me a few days to take this thing about and see if I have a lose connection somewhere! I charges fine when its off but when I turn it on, I see an Orange light as if its charging, but the battery still dies!

Are you still able to get to the on/off/reset switch?

#14 ·
Took about an hour to install after some test fitting. The this that took the longest was driving to my KIA dealership and asking them to use there special tool to pull my a/c vents out. It was funny watching there faces wondering why I just wanted them to pull them out and leave it like that until I got home to do the install.
Following parts and costs went into this mod:
> dash monitor surround kit from Korean Auto Imports - $129.95
Korean Auto Imports
> 7" Magellan Roadmate GPS - $242.95
Magellan RoadMate 1700 7" Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator - RM1700SGXUC - RitzCamera.com
> random brackets and 3M tape from Home Depot - about $15

That's really all there is to it. I just drove from Pittsburgh to Philly the other day for a work conference and it worked wonderfully, never a glitch or a mis-step. I am currently working on producing a step by step instruction pdf with pics of the install and what not for anyone that is interested in doing this themselves.

#15 ·
Ross, do you still have access to the power switch somehow?

#16 ·
Wow...that is a job well done!

#17 ·
#18 ·
Please Reply (From KAI)

Hi, I am from Sherwood Automotive (KAI) and would like to know which system you have installed with the Dash Kit. We have been trying to provide specs for the kit, but have not been able to get them. Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Great job on the installation by the way ;)

Thanks,

Melissa - Sherwood Automotive
melissa@sherwoodautomotive.com

#24 ·
Hi, I am from Sherwood Automotive (KAI) and would like to know which system you have installed with the Dash Kit. We have been trying to provide specs for the kit, but have not been able to get them. Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Great job on the installation by the way ;)

Thanks,

Melissa - Sherwood Automotive
melissa@sherwoodautomotive.com
You can't get measurements for the kit? We have this amazing thing called a tape measure. Home Depot sells them.

#21 ·
The Unit is a Magellan RM1700

#22 ·
Since installation my airbag warning light in on. I think its because the clock connection is no longer connected. Did you have this problem?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.