Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Not to sound rude, but You should read the forums before posting a question, there has been many topics on this already, do a little research :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not to sound rude, but You should read the forums before posting a question, there has been many topics on this already, do a little research :)
not rude at all. i did some research. but from most of them people were doing all the speakers and adding double subs. and all this other stuff. i just wanted to post what i was planning on doing and see if there was something i was missing. with all these line converters and signal amplifiers it got me all confused. if you can link me to the proper page that would be great. but i wanted something simple and all the ones i see seem more complicated then what i want. all stock with just that sub

·
Registered
407 Posts
Ok, well you will need, a Line output converter, hooked up to your rear speakers, what that does is takes the signal and turns it into RCA's, Then you will need at least an 8ga amp kit, make sure it has, a fuse holder, Remote Turn on wire, power and ground wires, as well as a good set of RCA's. then sub and amp, and you should be good to go.

BW

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I had one of those Infinity BassLink-II subs in my previous car and it failed right after the 2 year warranty. :p The amp just started blowing any fuse you connected to it and it didn't make a sound. Sounded good though when it was working... I should have got the extended 3 year warranty I guess. <sigh>

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, well you will need, a Line output converter, hooked up to your rear speakers, what that does is takes the signal and turns it into RCA's, Then you will need at least an 8ga amp kit, make sure it has, a fuse holder, Remote Turn on wire, power and ground wires, as well as a good set of RCA's. then sub and amp, and you should be good to go.

BW
Thanks for the info
now with my link above, does the amp wiring kit seem like it has all it needs?

also is this the converter thing you were talking about?
Metra Electronics 70-7303 Wiring Harness - Audio/Video Accessories at Onlinecarstereo.com

saw that in another post, if not can you link me to what it is your talking about for the RCA cables.
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had one of those Infinity BassLink-II subs in my previous car and it failed right after the 2 year warranty. :p The amp just started blowing any fuse you connected to it and it didn't make a sound. Sounded good though when it was working... I should have got the extended 3 year warranty I guess. <sigh>

Ya for 30 bucks more thats what i plan on doing. from what i read they do blow out. but i like the small package and the quality of them is outstanding. dont really want the world to hear the bass, but i think in the small koup it should do the job.
thanks for reinforcing my need to get the extended warranty :)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yeah, the amp kit has everything you need, but I would be looking at a higher quality one, like Stinger or something....like this one Stinger Electronics | Product Details Crappy wiring will make your system sound like crap.

No thats not the converter you need, you would use that if you were connecting an aftermarket headunit to you stock wiring.

you need something like this, its called a high level output converter, or a line level converter, like this Stinger Electronics | Product Details Speaker wire in RCA's out

I was just looking at your sub/amp combo it looks like the amp has a high level input built in, so you would just need to splice that harness into your existing rear speakers.

I really think you should have an installer do this for you, most installers charge about a 100 bucks to install an amp, and you supply the wiring kit. No need for a high-low level converter with that amp.
BW

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, the amp kit has everything you need, but I would be looking at a higher quality one, like Stinger or something....like this one Stinger Electronics | Product Details Crappy wiring will make your system sound like crap.

No thats not the converter you need, you would use that if you were connecting an aftermarket headunit to you stock wiring.

you need something like this, its called a high level output converter, or a line level converter, like this Stinger Electronics | Product Details Speaker wire in RCA's out

I was just looking at your sub/amp combo it looks like the amp has a high level input built in, so you would just need to splice that harness into your existing rear speakers.

I really think you should have an installer do this for you, most installers charge about a 100 bucks to install an amp, and you supply the wiring kit. No need for a high-low level converter with that amp.
BW
thats what someone told me. just run it into the rear speakers. so i wont need the high-low converter. cool, i guess ill put that money towards a better amp wiring kit. haha
ya im having a buddy do this. he said get him the parts he needs and hes set. dont really want to get there and not have all the stuff, thats why I asked. the system im putting in is a bit weird but its simple

Thanks for the help BW

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
There's really nothing wrong with your amp kit.. you don't need anything more if you are simply running power and turn-on to the amp, and speaker wires from the speakers to the amp. The kit is rated for 1000watts, but 8gauge at that distance should really only be used for 500 watts.

You will likely want to buy a good set of metal self-tappign screws to mount unit solidly, and perhaps even some grease or wd-40 to spray on the mount holes to as corrosion protection if the screw holes penetrate to the out side. Also, make sure you mount it somewhere that doesn't screw into the gas tank! You may also want to throw a few coats of paint over any outside protruding holes you make.

Most installers also add a rubber grommet when running cables through the firewall and spray the area with a corrosion protectant.

D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There's really nothing wrong with your amp kit.. you don't need anything more if you are simply running power and turn-on to the amp, and speaker wires from the speakers to the amp. The kit is rated for 1000watts, but 8gauge at that distance should really only be used for 500 watts.

You will likely want to buy a good set of metal self-tappign screws to mount unit solidly, and perhaps even some grease or wd-40 to spray on the mount holes to as corrosion protection if the screw holes penetrate to the out side. Also, make sure you mount it somewhere that doesn't screw into the gas tank! You may also want to throw a few coats of paint over any outside protruding holes you make.

Most installers also add a rubber grommet when running cables through the firewall and spray the area with a corrosion protectant.

D
ya the amp is only pulling 250, but ill make the call when i order it. and about mounting. i was just going to mount the thing to a board and use velcro to put it down on the carpet. should hold, prob do a test before i install it to see if that will work. kind of want to be able to take it out if i need the space

1 - 11 of 11 Posts