Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I was reading the thread Average Canadian had about using a different steering wheel for cruise and got to thinking I wish my 2017 Forte LX had cruise. I found a kit on ebay, but am not sure about the existing wiring on my car. I can't get a straight answer from the seller in if EVERYTHING is included to make this work on my car or not. I don't want to spend the money on a maybe, because I'm on a fixed income and money is tight. Do any of you guys know if this kit will work and if not, what needs to be added? I appreciate any and all help and here's the kit I'm looking at. https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Steering-Wheel-Handle-Remote-Control-Kit-Cruise-FLEX-For-KIA-2013-18-Cerato/152045311461

·
Registered
26 Posts
Chuzz - It looks to me like the link you posted is JUST the switch assembly for the steering wheel, and NOT the entire cruise control system, which requires much more than just the switches. I've installed a couple complete Rostra cruise controls on cars, they've worked very well, but are not cheap. Plus, they generally use a stalk control mounted to the steering column, rather than the typical OEM wheel switches. Here's the model I've used https://www.amazon.com/Rostra-250-1223-Universal-Electronic-Control/dp/B007ZCQD9S There may be other similar kits from other manufacturers. You do need to have some tech skills to install one of these.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chuzz - It looks to me like the link you posted is JUST the switch assembly for the steering wheel, and NOT the entire cruise control system, which requires much more than just the switches. I've installed a couple complete Rostra cruise controls on cars, they've worked very well, but are not cheap. Plus, they generally use a stalk control mounted to the steering column, rather than the typical OEM wheel switches. Here's the model I've used https://www.amazon.com/Rostra-250-1223-Universal-Electronic-Control/dp/B007ZCQD9S There may be other similar kits from other manufacturers. You do need to have some tech skills to install one of these.
Thank you, ForteDave#1. I THOUGHT it was too good to be true. I'm going to take a pass on that and just live with not having cruise on it. With the traffic in FL the way it is and only getting worse as the snowbirds are arriving, there's not much opportunity to use it anyway!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey Guys, I was reading the thread Average Canadian had about using a different steering wheel for cruise and got to thinking I wish my 2017 Forte LX had cruise. I found a kit on ebay, but am not sure about the existing wiring on my car. I can't get a straight answer from the seller in if EVERYTHING is included to make this work on my car or not. I don't want to spend the money on a maybe, because I'm on a fixed income and money is tight. Do any of you guys know if this kit will work and if not, what needs to be added? I appreciate any and all help and here's the ki.
Hi Chuzz,

I'm from over at the Kia Soul forum. On the base Soul, cruise control is already built in to all engines, but masked off by leaving the steering wheel switch off.

My guess is all you need is the wiring harness and switches shown in your post Do not ruin your car with a 3rd party Rostra system. Your Forte probably has cruise built in now.

The procedure to remove the steering wheel, replace the switch assembly & then use the plug & play wiring harness is easy (like 25 mins). On the Soul, even the cruise control dash lights come on (on models that didn't come with cruise).

I can't say for certain you have CC, but I'm betting you do.

All the best.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That looks reasonable enough, but can' t be sure until you ask a Kia technic or the dealership.
We have found that pretty much every tech & dealer says it can't be done, even though hundreds of us have done it on our Souls. Also alot of MT Rio owners have done it. Same situation, CC is just masked off to reinforce the term "base."

We believe it is some type of policy related to marketing of trim levels (basically keep it a secret).

They wouldn't even order the parts, which OEMs were readily available online.

Just saying don't expect Kia to help you add CC. They prefer you buy a higher trim level that includes it. They don't train their staff to help you hack into already installed features :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unless one of my kids gives me the money, I will just live without cruise. I just got hit with a $400 plumbing repair on the day before Thanksgiving. As least the toilets work properly. Frigging palm roots from a vacant lot next to me grew into the drain pipes near the street. Copper sulfate is coming!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts