Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Adventure begins.....

In case you didn't see it before, I am loaning ROXY to AEM for two-weeks to allow them to prototype a CAI and Exhaust kit for the car.

I will leave today in the afternoon to drop the car off with Ken @ AEM. I will be asking Ken to post pictures and results to this thread while they have the car so we can see progress and numbers.

In addition, I will be reaching out to a named magazine to let them know about the car being at AEM if they would want to do a photo shoot. I would love to see a Forte on the cover of a "auto-mod-magazine"

Wish me luck on the Friday afternoon drive into LAX. Life is a highway!

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Looking foward to see this !!
Are they gone work on a better (more performence oriented) tune too??
Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AEM Update #1: Escape from LA!

It was a long day. Here are my notes from today.

>>The Drive up:

I didn't get on the road to LA until 2:45PST due to a work meeting going long. The drive went well minus a traffic delay of about 45mins.

Using the AEM address on the web, I ended up about a mile from the AEM facility. How could this be? The truth--They had moved buildings. A quick call into the operator had me on my way to the new location.

>>The AEM Facility:

The building was nice looking from the outside and had a huge AEM logo on the front. I pulled into the side of the parking lot toward a bunch of cool cars where I met Ken.

They had some nice cars in the R&D area such as WRXs, EVOs, and Ferraris. The R&D stations were modern and tubing, welders, lifts, tools and computer terminals were bountiful.

>>When will the parts (intake/exhaust) be available??

This trip would not have been complete without asking a question I know you were going to ask hundreds of times. Like you, I wanted to know when this would be available to customers…..So I asked Ken when it would be available.
The answer: It IS NOT going to be offered directly from AEM!!!!

>> What I learned today!
This prototype is for an OEM customer, which remains confidential at this time @ Ken's request. What I can say is that it's a pretty sizeable OEM customer and that it will be great news for some of the tribe members on here because of their location.

>> The silver lining...
When the time is right, we will lobby (as a tribe) the OEM reseller to bring the product to market. Without this customer we would have no shot at this kind of product so it’s a blessing in disguise.

>>No pictures..
At the OEM customer's request, there will be no pictures of the system. Sorry guys. I’ll take pix of the facility when I return.

That's all for tonight--it's been a very long day. They put me in a Kia Rondo. Before you start to laugh let me remind you that 2.4 Rondo has 2HP than our beloved rides... LOL ;-)

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
From what I gather from your last post we should be seeing something for sale all over the country...LoL

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's official... I miss my car sooooo much! I expect this week to be quiet as to updates. I head out for travel on Wednesday evening and hope to post and update by Friday.

I hope everyone is having a great Monday!

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
It's official... I miss my car sooooo much! I expect this week to be quiet as to updates. I head out for travel on Wednesday evening and hope to post and update by Friday.

I hope everyone is having a great Monday!
of course im having a great day i just got my first reckless driving ticket on the hw with my forte today after my visit to change my oil .. im in some deep shit city cop was on the highway pull me over talking about that i was going 95+ im like nooooo more like 75 he was like i had to do 100mph to catch up to you im like yea that cuz i left you in the dust like 2 exits ago he was piss off...lol o well anyways ima fight it last time i checked going over 85mph is consider reckless driving and he was beeing such a dick he gave me fail to use turn signal. he came back to my car and was like your lucky i didnt give you a ticket for not yielding when my lights wear on. im like "yea your lucky i even stopped. you have a slow crown vic non supercharge not suitable for high way use so why you have to be a prick and stop me for and i can hit 140 really easy" gave me the ticket he laughed kicked my tire and got in his car. .... damn cops

·
Registered
32 Posts
of course im having a great day i just got my first reckless driving ticket on the hw with my forte today after my visit to change my oil .. im in some deep shit city cop was on the highway pull me over talking about that i was going 95+ im like nooooo more like 75 he was like i had to do 100mph to catch up to you im like yea that cuz i left you in the dust like 2 exits ago he was piss off...lol o well anyways ima fight it last time i checked going over 85mph is consider reckless driving and he was beeing such a dick he gave me fail to use turn signal. he came back to my car and was like your lucky i didnt give you a ticket for not yielding when my lights wear on. im like "yea your lucky i even stopped. you have a slow crown vic non supercharge not suitable for high way use so why you have to be a prick and stop me for and i can hit 140 really easy" gave me the ticket he laughed kicked my tire and got in his car. .... damn cops
You can easily accelerate past 80mph in the Forte Koup 2.4.... I, accidently flew past a state patrol two days ago going 85mph when I had just punched it to pass one of those people that drive 10mph below the speed limit. The car glides through the air pretty smooth so acceleration is fast. Luckily, the officer knew I had just passed a vehicle so he didn't even turn around. I think I was driving 45 in a 55 and I punched it to pass... halfway around... bam, I see the cop, look down... 85mph.

Thank god he wasn't an ass. I don't even have my tag yet. But, be careful out there. Speeding tickets are bad.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update:

I am going up to get the car tomorrow. Now this is over I can comment on what happened.

The intake was being made for KIA of Canada. Unfortunately, their design didn't help the car's performance--it actually hurt it. This is all I know. My car wasn't baselined either which means that we are still missing a stock Koup w/ auto.

AEM has too many other projects in the pipeline to custom build an AEM branded intake for the Forte so it looks like TurboKits.com will be the initial CAI for the car. This is excellent news for Turbokits.

The Exhaust will be made a later time and I was offered a K&N intake of my choice for being without my car for the last two weeks. I plan to get the K&N Apollo Intake and rig it for RAM Air based on the article I produced a few weeks back (ie negative boost)

Damn--I miss my car!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
At least the factory intake works well...just not interesting to look at...LoL!

Thanks for the information!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I would recommend the Turbokits exhaust or my custom setup. They are about the same in design and power. Single big exhaust from cat back...with 2nd cat delete for you CA Emission folk.

I just went with a quieting straight through magnaflow resonator to calm the note.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am also trying to go with the TurboKit's CAI as it's exactly the design I have spoken about long before we had vendors making parts. I have PM'ed Turbokits as AEM is offering to buy an intake for my trouble.

·
Site Sponsor
1,807 Posts
It was great talking with you today! Hopefully we'll work with AEM and get you one right away :)

I am also trying to go with the TurboKit's CAI as it's exactly the design I have spoken about long before we had vendors making parts. I have PM'ed Turbokits as AEM is offering to buy an intake for my trouble.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts