Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have the basic Microsoft UVO (no Navigation) unit in their 2014 Forte5? I want to get some ideas on what aftermarket units would be suitable for 2014 Forte5.

It would be nice to get the OEM UVO with Navigation (so it's nicely flush to the dash) that works with all the accessories in the car, oppose to some aftermarket ones that stick out slightly and can't communicate with all the accessories (e.g. USB, voice control button, aux-in, etc..).

Anyone know if it's possible to get OEM UVO Navigation installed?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yes but its not a quick instal. The GPS antena comes with the EX and SX models so you are good there . But to install the NAVI there are a few harness and wiring issues to make it all work. This is an Optima but the wiring is about the same intensity . This guy sells navi's and directions . If you are not worried about losing the UVO You can get other cheaper Navi's from Korea. They have a general one , Blue Drive ,Android and coming soon Car Drive ( apple ) if you are a mac head lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA_3YwU94VY

·
Registered
79 Posts
Anyone have the basic Microsoft UVO (no Navigation) unit in their 2014 Forte5? I want to get some ideas on what aftermarket units would be suitable for 2014 Forte5.

It would be nice to get the OEM UVO with Navigation (so it's nicely flush to the dash) that works with all the accessories in the car, oppose to some aftermarket ones that stick out slightly and can't communicate with all the accessories (e.g. USB, voice control button, aux-in, etc..).

Anyone know if it's possible to get OEM UVO Navigation installed?
I have the basic UVO in my 2014 Forte 5 and was looking at this deck. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DDX371/Kenwood-DDX371.html?showAll=N&search=113ddx371&skipvs=T

They say it will work with my car but the rear view camera wouldnt work. They said that car manufacturers use a different connection on factory decks. Why? why?
Has anyone been able to swap out their deck for a aftermarket and have the steering wheel controls and rear camera function?

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have the basic UVO in my 2014 Forte 5 and was looking at this deck. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DDX371/Kenwood-DDX371.html?showAll=N&search=113ddx371&skipvs=T

They say it will work with my car but the rear view camera wouldnt work. They said that car manufacturers use a different connection on factory decks. Why? why?
Has anyone been able to swap out their deck for a aftermarket and have the steering wheel controls and rear camera function?
You can have the steering controls work with an aftermarket head unit but you need an adapter to do so. You can also install an aftermarket rear view camera if you cannot get the factory camera to work.

There are any number of cheap universal cameras on ebay.

Pat.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You can have the steering controls work with an aftermarket head unit but you need an adapter to do so. You can also install an aftermarket rear view camera if you cannot get the factory camera to work.

There are any number of cheap universal cameras on ebay.

Pat.
Would that mean I would have to run a new wire for the rear view camera? If so, I'm not interested in taking the time to take the car apart. :smile2: I guess I would lose the phone controls on my steering wheel also, not to mention the voice controls.

·
Registered
558 Posts
It is a Chinese unit, these things have been hit and miss, over on the Mazda forums there are whole threads dedicated to the problems with them. Two of the most common makes are Caska and Eonon . I personally wouldn't touch any of these with a barge pole. I Installed a Kenwood DNX 570 Navigation unit with a rear view camera in My2010 Mazda3 GT.

Pat.

Reactions: forte70

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thought of changing out the head unit, but did not want to loose the UVO, phone works fine for navi......did replace the paper speakers with Infinity....a change worth making IMHO....no amp just speakers component front coax rear

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thought of changing out the head unit, but did not want to loose the UVO, phone works fine for navi......did replace the paper speakers with Infinity....a change worth making IMHO....no amp just speakers component front coax rear
Where did you get your speakers from?

·
Registered
79 Posts
It is a Chinese unit, these things have been hit and miss, over on the Mazda forums there are whole threads dedicated to the problems with them. Two of the most common makes are Caska and Eonon . I personally wouldn't touch any of these with a barge pole. I Installed a Kenwood DNX 570 Navigation unit with a rear view camera in My2010 Mazda3 GT.

Pat.
Thanks for that, I wouldn't touch them either as I am very wary of crap product from China. I will look up that deck though.

I want to retain my backup camera and steering wheel controls. I think the best deck will let us put our smart phone in the opening, then its a car stereo and you cant get a fine for touching it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
eBay as a package all 6 speakers. Don't recall the vendor

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did anyone find a wires harness or modules that successfully allow reuse oem accessories like steering wheels controls, USB ports, aux input and rear camera?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts