Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my cabin air filter out today for the first time today. Jesus did it catch a bunch of crap. Leaves, all this oak tree messy crap my oak trees produce in the spring and dirt. My car only has 7500 miles on it and I couldn't believe there was so much stuff in it. It was like someone shoved the stuff in there. Does anyone know of a HEPA replacement for stock filter?

·
Registered
536 Posts
I always wondered about this...Do the sedans have the filter and if so where is it located???

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
I seen sumthing underneath the glove box on the firewall. That might be it. Il have to look again

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
It's behind the glove box. Take out the two tabs on each side of the glove box and let it drop down. Behind it is a tab pop it out and bam there's the filter.

·
Registered
119 Posts
It's amazing how much crap cabin filters really do catch. Used to have a tiburon and while it had the same placement location etc it didn't come with the filter. Car interior was always so dusty. Popped in a filter and problem solved.

P.S. Oh and you can just google it to find them online or even walmart i believe has them.

·
Registered
593 Posts
They will cost $18 locally (highway robbery). I did find a seller on ebay selling them for $5 each with around $3.50 shipping. I've searched and searched, never found anything but the standard filter.

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
I went in for an oil change and they said I needed a new cabin filter. I said, "Ok, how much?" They told me $75 for the part and labor! Labor?! What labor? You mean the part where you open the glove box, remove two tabs, pull out the old filter and slap the new one in?

I went to AutoZone, picked one up for $8 and let my girlfriend do it. She told me I owed her $67 for her hard work. Lol! :D

·
Registered
695 Posts
hey thats nothing my dealership wanted 118 and I was wondering if the filter was a crucial part or something, when I asked they said no.

It keeps the cabin air free of dust. I told them I would pass and install a new one myself, they acted like you had to be a mechanic or an engineer to install. Bunch of A-holes.

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
I told them I would pass and install a new one myself, they acted like you had to be a mechanic or an engineer to install. Bunch of A-holes.
After I found out what it took I confronted the service manager asking why they would overcharge for something so simple and he told me that not everyone has the technical knowledge of replacing parts like I do.

I guess there's people out there that don't know how to open a glove box? Ha.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
From my understanding there are about 3 more filter that they normally change when they do this service. I just can't remember what they are...not saying I would pay for it though.

·
Registered
695 Posts
After I found out what it took I confronted the service manager asking why they would overcharge for something so simple and he told me that not everyone has the technical knowledge of replacing parts like I do.

I guess there's people out there that don't know how to open a glove box? Ha.
If you cant opena glove box, I am not sure if you sould be allowed behind the wheel.

·
Registered
593 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
My 2005 Spectra had a place for the filter, but did not come with one. So, I bought a nice AC filter at Home Depot and cut it to fit. It worked fine and I was able to get 4 Spectra sized filters from one AC filter. I can't see any reason why this wouldn't work with the Forte.

·
Registered
288 Posts
$5.00 for the filter and $3.23 for shipping. I think I tried 2 filters to see what shipping would be and it was about $.60 more.
Thanks for the link!

My 2005 Spectra had a place for the filter, but did not come with one. So, I bought a nice AC filter at Home Depot and cut it to fit. It worked fine and I was able to get 4 Spectra sized filters from one AC filter. I can't see any reason why this wouldn't work with the Forte.
How long did each filter last on your Spectra?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Just a quick update...

I ordered 3 filters from the ebay link in my prior post and they arrived today. About the only difference I can see is that the $18 filter has "sides" glued on all ends while the $5 filter has them glued on two of the end. The $18 filter has an arrow showing what direction to install the filter. The $5 filter has none.

Here are some photos (the one with printing on the side is the one bought locally):

IMHO, same quality and will work the same. The two short sides don't really need "ends" glued on them for function. Seems to be the same material. I'd certainly order them again. I picked up 3 off ebay for the price of 1 locally.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,847 Posts
How long did each filter last on your Spectra?

Don't count on time -- take a look at your filter at least annually and you'll see if you need to change it!

I change mine yearly -- because when I do the filter is dirty -- small seeds, parts of leaves, bug wings, dirt and dust. Helps to keep the interior smelling nice too!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Just had my oil changed and decided to take a look at mine....Already pretty dirty after only 5 mos of owning my car. Wasn't horrible so I knocked off the bigger debris and used canned air to blow 90% of the rest off. Looks new again. Will probably order a few news ones via ebay in the coming weeks so it catches all the spring pollen.

I just don't see myself paying $18 for a new one at Wal-Fart (even if it does have Arm&Hammer in it), when I can get a new one for $5.

BTW - Are these functional if the blower isn't on? When it gets nice out I tend to open the windows rather than using AC unless it's 90 and above. With the windows down I am sure this is useless.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts