Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my first post in the DIY section. And it's an easy question for you young fellows I'm sure. I've been driving for forty years and am used to leaving things pretty much stock. Years ago I learned that changing anything from it's original form usually meant paying a price later on.

Anyway, I just found out that my Forte SX has the second air filter in the lid of the filter housing. Would I be correct in assuming that it's removal would void my powertrain warrenty? Is there a way to remove it without ruining the lid? I would like to get rid of it but don't want to void a 100,000 mile warrenty. My car has the 5 spd auto trans with the 2nd to 3rd shift/shock problem so I will be going (probably multiple times) to the dealer to try to resolve that issue. Granted, a transmission problem should not cause them to look inside the air box. But I want the trans problem resolved without a hassle from Kia. And even after the trans problem is fixed I still want the 100,000 mile protection.

Can I safely remove the filter in the lid under these circumstances?

·
Registered
532 Posts
That second filter is a carbon pre filter and it's there for California emission test if your state goes by those you will have a problem passing your inspection so you might need it. it's a regional thing my car in Texas does not have one

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I need to find out if Maryland requires it. I live in Maryland but bought the car in Pennsylvania. Pa might require it but maybe not Md.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I guess I need to find out if Maryland requires it. I live in Maryland but bought the car in Pennsylvania. Pa might require it but maybe not Md.
Perhaps you should just ask the dealer while your there. As EVERYONE knows on this forum it is a NO,NO to try to pull a fast one on the dealer! Or so I'm told:D

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Perhaps you should just ask the dealer while your there. As EVERYONE knows on this forum it is a NO,NO to try to pull a fast one on the dealer! Or so I'm told:D
I don't plan on pulling a switcheroo. If I take the filter out, it will be out for good.

The question is, should I take it out, and if so, how to do it without ruining the lid.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I don't plan on pulling a switcheroo. If I take the filter out, it will be out for good.

The question is, should I take it out, and if so, how to do it without ruining the lid.
Originally Posted by jeff613
Perhaps you should just ask the dealer

·
Registered
526 Posts

Hey, I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ with my previous reply- just saying that it is there for a reason and taking it out may have some unknown result. So I would just ask the dealer.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ with my previous reply- just saying that it is there for a reason and taking it out may have some unknown result. So I would just ask the dealer.
We're cool. I hear what you're saying and part of me wants to do that. On the other hand, once I ask the dealer then they're alearted to my intentions of maybe removing the filter.
I probably will at least ask the mechanic the next time I'm in there.

Sounds like a lot of you fellows skip the mamby pamby stuff and go right for the CAI or turbos. Would I assume correctly that the CAIs would void the warrenty?

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,871 Posts
We're cool. I hear what you're saying and part of me wants to do that. On the other hand, once I ask the dealer then they're alearted to my intentions of maybe removing the filter.
I probably will at least ask the mechanic the next time I'm in there.

Sounds like a lot of you fellows skip the mamby pamby stuff and go right for the CAI or turbos. Would I assume correctly that the CAIs would void the warrenty?
I asked the service manager at my dealer about this. Since the ECU is cooled by the incoming air if I use one of the A/M intakes and fry my ECU they will not warranty it. It will not void the rest of the warranty.

You could also check into buying a filter top without the prefilter...I doubt a Kia tech would notice the difference unless they were specifically looking for it. BTW, I think that if a tech changes the top they could get fined by the EPA -- since it is an emissions part...you'd have to do this yourself.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I asked the service manager at my dealer about this. Since the ECU is cooled by the incoming air if I use one of the A/M intakes and fry my ECU they will not warranty it. It will not void the rest of the warranty.

You could also check into buying a filter top without the prefilter...I doubt a Kia tech would notice the difference unless they were specifically looking for it. BTW, I think that if a tech changes the top they could get fined by the EPA -- since it is an emissions part...you'd have to do this yourself.
Sorry. What is an 'A/M intake'? Is it one of the CAI type intakes?
Removing the lid filter would not affect the ECU would it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
a/m = aftermarket

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,871 Posts
Sorry. What is an 'A/M intake'? Is it one of the CAI type intakes?
Removing the lid filter would not affect the ECU would it?
Insanejin got it...LoL!

If you remove the emissions filter inside the top of the filter box it would not affect the ECU -- still have the same air flow over it.

Correct me if I'm wrong here...doesn't your PCV valve tube go to the air box? Isn't the filter made to collect and fillter the PCV system's air? That is one of the things that makes it a SULEV instead of a ULEV engine. ULEV engines' PCV tube goes right into the intake tube.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Insanejin got it...LoL!

Correct me if I'm wrong here...doesn't your PCV valve tube go to the air box? Isn't the filter made to collect and fillter the PCV system's air? That is one of the things that makes it a SULEV instead of a ULEV engine. ULEV engines' PCV tube goes right into the intake tube.
It's dark out and raining so I'll need to try to get the answer to that tomorrow. But as far as I know, my SX 2.4 was not considered an SULEV.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
It's dark out and raining so I'll need to try to get the answer to that tomorrow. But as far as I know, my SX 2.4 was not considered an SULEV.
...Look forward to what you find. There has to be a reason for the second filter...wouldn't make sense to have 2 filters just to clean the intake air.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
to help reduce smog emmisions
No doubt...but how does it help reduce smog emissions? Filters the PCV system...or what?

·
Registered
356 Posts
do all the california models come with it because i looked for it yesterday and i couldnt find it I have a 2010 koup ex and i couldnt find it

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Insanejin got it...LoL!

If you remove the emissions filter inside the top of the filter box it would not affect the ECU -- still have the same air flow over it.

OK. I looked at it again. The PCV valve does not go into the air box. It goes into the 3 inch diameter(approx.) tube carrying the air away from the box. There is also an irregular shaped box that is about 5 or 6 inches in height that is attached to this tube also. I'm guessing that is where the ECU is?

I like your idea of trying to get a new lid for the air box that does not have the charcoal filter in it. That way it doesn't look hacked up like if I remove the filter. If all of this is unclear, then maybe I could take some pictures tomorrow in daylight and post them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts