Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, today I noticed my car making a hissing noise when I accelerate inthe lower rpm area. I have the sx auto with a tk cai. It kind of sounds like its coming from the cai so I'm thinking it may have cracked or ripped on the filter? It almost can sound like a screech when its high pitched, so my friend suggested it may be a belt. I'm thinking of taking it to the dealership. Anyone have any similiar issues? Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
284 Posts
put windows up - see if you hear the sound still.

if you dont it is most likely the side mirror whistle sound - plenty of threads about it.

if you still hear it then it could be a hose or the air intake itself, i used to have a corolla that had a slight hissing sound with an air intake installed - didn't bother me (this sound was going on when I wasn't on the throttle, kinda at idle and normal driving) sound did dissapear after the car warmed up a bit.

pop hood - spend 5-10 mins checking everything making sure nothing is rubbing against the intake. then take it to dealer.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ahhh ok thanks guys. I didn't even think it could be the sidemirror. I only hear it when the window is down but I figured it was because the noise was fairly low in volume. Does the sidemirror noise stop if you fold them in? I think its probably something else, because I only hear the noise when I slowly accelerate, I hear it as soon as I start to give it a little gas and stops(or is drowned out) what's the cai starts making its beautiful music.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just installed the tk cai and I also now have the same whistle. I was wondering if anyone has the same experience after installing the cai. If not, did I do something wrong? How do you fix it?

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
I did the cheap SRI mod (cone filter over the stock intake tube) and I get the same whistle. It happens during a slight acceleration like you guys explain but I just figured because it's probably not fully sealed. I'm positive it's not the mirror because I can hear it at different speeds with the window up or down and can kind of control it with how I press on the pedal. If it's not a proper seal like I suspect this definitely should not be happening with a $200+ CAI.

·
Registered
44 Posts
After rechecking my work and retightening the clamps it has stopped. Just make sure everything is seated and the clamps are tight. It should go away!

·
Registered
733 Posts
ya its just the intake i have a cai/sri and drove around one day with the front bumper off and clearly heard the intake sucking in air, i think the people on the sidewalk did to hahaha

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good to know nothings broken, I guess I just noticed it because the other day was the first day in a longggg time it's been nice enough to drive with the windows down. I still think I'll check it once it's nice again (since it's back to the 30's outside) but it sounds pretty normal now

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think we are talking about two different sounds....the whistling I hear is NOT on idle and NOT under heavy or normal acceleration (I understand what a CAI sounds like)....it is when you are barley touching the throttle...very very light acceleration.

I can deal with it...its not a big deal.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mine was making a very high pitched howl (very loud). After making sure everything was snug it now sounds the way its supposed to.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think we are talking about two different sounds....the whistling I hear is NOT on idle and NOT under heavy or normal acceleration (I understand what a CAI sounds like)....it is when you are barley touching the throttle...very very light acceleration.

I can deal with it...its not a big deal.
Yeah this is the same thing I have. Before the CAI really starts kicking in you can hear it. I can hear it as soon as I ease on the gas until about the 2-2.5k RPM range and the CAI starts to roar.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I hear the CAI intake hiss when I touch the throttle lightly off and on but after I stomp the trottle I can not hear it due to the low growl of the CAI drowning it out. I can hear it at any speed if I am lightly touching the throttle without stomping it. If this is the sound you are talking about then it is normal for a SRI and CAI. I have had the same sound on my previous car that had an SRI. I tend to play with that sound while driving in the city since it makes it sound like you have a turbo under the hood. :)

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I hear the CAI intake hiss when I touch the throttle lightly off and on but after I stomp the trottle I can not hear it due to the low growl of the CAI drowning it out. I can hear it at any speed if I am lightly touching the throttle without stomping it. If this is the sound you are talking about then it is normal for a SRI and CAI. I have had the same sound on my previous car that had an SRI. I tend to play with that sound while driving in the city since it makes it sound like you have a turbo under the hood. :)
Yeah that's exactly it, thanks for clearing that up for me

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.