Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're really close to going out and getting a new 2010 Kia Forte EX Sedan, with no extras added. We should be getting a good deal since most dealers are trying to get rid of their 2010 inventory. If fact, the dealer that we bought our Sorento from last June still has one hundred thirty 2010 Fortes in stock, and only two 2011 Fortes.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has bought a Forte the last few weeks, and what price did you end up getting it for before tax and license? Just wanted to get a feel for what our starting point should be when we get to the point of negotiating price.

BTW, I'm in Southern California but I'd like to hear from everyone wherever you are.

Thanks. :)

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
You can never start too low. Seriously.

What you should not expect is to get the best deal possible with one negotiation session. Go in, give them your low number. They will give you their high number. Come up on your low number a bit. If they don't go down on their number at all then walk. They'll let you know when they are ready to come down.

Since you're in SoCal you have like a dozen dealership that you can easily get to. This is to your advantage. Don't just go with your local dealer because you want to build a rapport with them. They're going to have to service your car whether they like it or not. Go where you can get the best deal.

My last tip, before you start know the most you will spend and don't go above that number.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips. When it comes to car shopping, I'm not the type to stay in a dealership for hours on end until I get the lowest price price humanly possible, nor am I one to just be ok with a number close to msrp.

I'm happy with a fair price, and to me, a fair price means getting it for the whatever the current average is the car is selling for.

For the last 3 cars that I bought, our shopping consisted of doing a test-drive to help us decide on a brand, make, model, and then negotiating prices via email until a dealership gives me that fair price. Then it's off to that dealership and we're driving out of there with a new car in about an hour.

I know this method probably isn't getting me the lowest price possible but to me it's worth it in terms of time saved and avoiding the "sleazy" car salesman experience.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I got my my EX for $15k even, TT&L, using CarWoo.com. Was easy to barter online. I just went down, signed the papers and was out in 45 minutes with my new EX sedan just like I wanted it. I love my Kia!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
i got my EX in mid december, and i paid just about 13. that was with the extra warranty, and my trade-in that i got 3,500 for.
no extras either...steel wheels, no moonroof, nada.
my wife works at the dealership and told me they made only $100 on the sale, so i might not be a good example.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought 1 new Forte 2 months ago and a new Sliverado a month ago. Bought from 2 different dealers. I know what I wanted when I went in so that was the easy part.

The thing that gets me the most was I told both of the dealers I dont want anything extra, no warranties, no paint sealers, etc. I dont want to be asked about it etc. And you know both dealers still tried to sell me some crap I did not want. Now I did stop them in their tracks and said forget it and I dont want to here about it or I'm out the door. Next time I'm going to tell them for everything extra they try to sell me they are going to knock down the price of the car $100.

If you know you are not going to pick up any extras I would try something like that above, part of the purchase agreement of coarse and see what happens. My hope is that it would speed up the process a little. I dont need to sign a bunch of papers to say that I declined what ever they tried to sell me!

The amont of time it takes to get out the door with a car is just nuts. Should not take a hour. I did a cash deal for the truck and cheap load for the Kia and it took about an hour for each one. Next time I'm going to tell them to have all there paper work ready for me to sign when I get there and the car ready to go.

I would appear that I'm just venting:)

Good luck and let us know what you got and how it went for ya.

btw, my 2010 Forte Sedan EX with the Sunroof was $15,200 + taxes and all the other garb, bought in Nov. Located in Mpls Mn Area

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,857 Posts
i got my EX in mid december, and i paid just about 13. that was with the extra warranty, and my trade-in that i got 3,500 for.
no extras either...steel wheels, no moonroof, nada.
my wife works at the dealership and told me they made only $100 on the sale, so i might not be a good example.
I get tired of hearing this at dealerships (not directed at you..but the dealerships in general) -- I can assure you they made a lot more than $100 on your car -- they like to say "it's only $100 over dealer invoice". Problem is they won't explain "the dealer invoice". If a dealer only made $100 on a car there is NO WAY they could stay in business and pay their staff, the building rent/lease, utilities, and taxes. Think of it this way...if they made $100 on the car and they had the salesman work the deal, the finance officer work the money change, the service department clean and fill up the car -- at least 2 hours of effort -- that leaves VERY little in profit. It just wouldn't be worth selling the car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I get tired of hearing this at dealerships (not directed at you..but the dealerships in general) -- I can assure you they made a lot more than $100 on your car -- they like to say "it's only $100 over dealer invoice". Problem is they won't explain "the dealer invoice". If a dealer only made $100 on a car there is NO WAY they could stay in business and pay their staff, the building rent/lease, utilities, and taxes. Think of it this way...if they made $100 on the car and they had the salesman work the deal, the finance officer work the money change, the service department clean and fill up the car -- at least 2 hours of effort -- that leaves VERY little in profit. It just wouldn't be worth selling the car.
that is a good point...i guess the only reason i believe what shes telling me is because she saw the paperwork on what they paid, and did the sale paperwork on the car i bought.
you're right though...usually that means JACK.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just found out about truecar.com, any one else heard of this website? If you go in there and input your zip code and make model of your car, it'll give you avg. current market prices for the car.

Currently is shows that the the avg. market price for a 2010 Kia Sedan EX auto (I forgot to mention in my post that I wanted Auto and not manual) is $15,462, with a "TrueCar Good Price" of $15,197.

According to their FAQ they get their data directly from car dealers...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, we got a 2010 Forte Sedan EX Automatic (the one that retails for $17,690), for $14,500 + TTL. They threw in the KARR alarm, ipod cable, cargo tray, and cargo net as well for that price. I have a feeling if I pushed I would've gotten it even lower but I felt it was a fair price. Thanks for eveyone's input.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Well, then I don't feel so bad. I just bought a 2010 EX but it was used with 29,000 miles. Dealer was asking $10,000. I did some checking and this was the Private Party value from Edmonds and NADA. The asking price seemed a bit low. Another dealer right down the road had the same vehicle listed at $11,000. The dealer where I bought it would not move on the price... he said he price it to move and if it sat there for a month, he'd lower the price by $500. I think it was actually telling the truth and I really don't think $10,000 was bad for the car. Perhaps if I argued for an hour he might have knocked off a hundred or two but I don't think so. It also has BT connectivity on the radio (the only extra option I know of... perhaps the Sport Drive is extra as well, I'm not sure).

Sorry, slightly OT.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts