Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I am brand new to this forum and have a few questions. I currently have on 06 civic that I am looking to trade in. I have had a lot of problems with it so far, and I fear that now that I've hit 100k it will only be problem after problem going forward. So I am starting my preliminary search and I keep coming back to Kia (specifically the hatch). I'll be honest, I am still nervous about the quality, given the rap it had for some time. But then again, I thought I was paying for quality with the civic and it just wasn't so.

I am comforted by the 10 year, 100mile warranty-but I was wondering what are the catches? Is literally everything covered? Has anyone ecountered troublesome dealerships that won't help? Also, has it needed to go in often-and do dealerships provide rental cars (or money towards)? It's one thing if everythign is covered, it's another if it has to go to the shop often and I have no way to get to work.

My only other concern is are there any major complaints you didn't realize during the test drive? It seems like most on the forum really enjoy it. I am hoping that the low EPA ratings (and those posted on the forum) are just because it's new, because I get 38mpg on my civic consistently from my 70 mile rt highway commute.

(I apologize for the long thread):eek:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The warranty is 10yr/100,000mi power train. Certain things drop off as time goes on but I think the first is at 3yr/36,000mi. I got my dealer to do a 10yr/100,000mi bumper to bumper.

As far as gas mileage, it all comes down to your driving habits. The teenage crowd here are the ones who seem to complain. I chalk it up to their lead feet.

I haven't really had any complaints about the car. When I bought it I had only test driven it for maybe 10 min and did hardly any research. Mine's a commuter that I drive 70mi round trip a day for work. It gets me there.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I've been very impressed with my Forte five-door, but I must point out a few items:

My car is actually the second car I've gotten from my dealer. I was able to swap the first one due to a leak that allowed water into the interior. I assume the body sealer was not applied properly, but I haven't found out yet. This second car has been flawless, but I've only had it for about 1K miles in warm weather. I have no experience with a Kia in cold weather, which seems to bring out various problems based on my experience.

Also, it's been discussed before, and you may not experience it, but Kia has a reputation for poor resale value. If you plan on keeping your car for a long time, resale relative to other brands shouldn't be a big issue. If you plan on trading your car soon, it may cost you more than you expect.

Just passing along my experience...

·
Registered
144 Posts
As far as gas mileage, it all comes down to your driving habits. The teenage crowd here are the ones who seem to complain. I chalk it up to their lead feet.
Nope. I accelerate slower or at pace with traffic at lights and still get about 26 MPG. Fact is this car is meant for highway driving. If you do 95% highway driving it probably will stay in the 30's but once you get off, it takes a big dip in MPG.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm coming up on 5,000 miles and I've never had any problems. Frankly, this is the best car I have ever owned. I would, however, highly recommend the SX trim as it includes a lot of options that you just can't get otherwise.

I was initially drawn to this car after I had driven a Hyundai Elantra touring. I wanted to see if Kia had a comparable model. When I saw the 5 door I knew that this was very close (although there are some minor differences). After I drove it and after my wife went with me we were sold and bought it that afternoon after some painless negotiating.

An interesting aside to this is that Hyundai is going to reintroduce the Elantra Touring as a five door hatchback when it comes out with the early 2013 models. Evidently the 2012 will be a carryover with the current model which only has the four speed and 2.0 engine. That's the reason I didn't buy the Hyundai. I didn't want the limitations of either.

I'm wondering about the rap on resale. The fact is that when one looks at the huge increases in Kia sales it suggests that resale will follow. When you look at the value one gets for so much less than the competition it is very hard to discount the advantage. What I would do is to drive both the Kia 5-door and the Ford Focus 5 door and compare the cost differential. The Focus is going to be a big seller in my opinion but when I drove it I immediately felt the Kia was a better design and much more intuitive.

I wouldn't spend a whole lot of time worrying about resale. If that is your concern then buy a Toyota or a Honda. But you will pay through the nose.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I'm at 12k trouble-free miles. While the car isn't perfect (what car is), it's comfortable, very quick, decent mpg, and is overall pretty refined for a compact car. Personally, I would take a hard look at the Focus and new Elantra. Also the Optima is not much more money than the Forte, gets better mpg and is a whole lot more car.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Nope. I accelerate slower or at pace with traffic at lights and still get about 26 MPG. Fact is this car is meant for highway driving. If you do 95% highway driving it probably will stay in the 30's but once you get off, it takes a big dip in MPG.
And thats why they rate gas mileage in city/hwy.

You are getting 26mpg and the Forte is rated at 25cty/34hwy. That's within the median range for the rating so are you complaining or pointing out that you are getting the mileage stated by the manufacturer?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the responses. I'd love the Sx or an Optima but I don't think I would be able to talk a dealer down that far. I'm pretty sure I can't go higher than 18k, but we'll see what happens. I am going to test drive a few this weekend, including the 5 door, coupe, and sedan, and maybe an optima. Ford (for me) is out of the question. I've been in a 2010 and the interior felt very cheap, hoping that the kia is a step above.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just past 12000km and other than the fact that my wipers sometimes don't park properly I am very satisfied with my Forte 5 :)

Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.