Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
No! But perhaps you can help me. I have the SX model with a tire size of 17/215/45HR
and because I live near Buffalo, New York, snow tires are de rigueur for at least five months of the year. The Tirerack sold me snow tires of the correct size, but were unable to provide any advice as to where steel wheels might be available. As you know the best of all possible worlds, barring the initial expense, is to have one's snow tires mounted and ready to go just about this time of year. It is quick and saves the alloy rims. Any
thoughts about this?

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Standard rim size for the Forte and Forte Koup:

15"x 5.5" (15x6 will work), 5x4.5(114.3) Bolt Pattern, +48 offset (between +40 and +50 will work) hub diameter 67.1 mm.

Check with your other local tire dealers for steelies, but don't be afraid to look at winter alloys, you can find some pretty cheap ones nowadays.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I know that the SX uses 17" with a 5 x 114.3 bolt pattern and can take between 7" and 8.5" width and recommends a +48 offset.

I'm still not sure if I should buy some ugly steelies for the winter and use the factory rims and tires for the summer, or if I should put my winter tires on the factory rims and get new aftermarket rims for next spring. What if I buy used alloys and put my winter tires on them? Will alloys be beat up badly in the winter or are they fine?

·
Registered
298 Posts
I bought a 16" 205/55/16 form the dealer. I was putting them on today and it didn't clear the caliper!

I took them back and they are looking for a 16 rim that will, I think maybe they thought it was for a ex koup but mine is the SX 2.4L

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
I'm still not sure if I should buy some ugly steelies for the winter and use the factory rims and tires for the summer, or if I should put my winter tires on the factory rims and get new aftermarket rims for next spring. What if I buy used alloys and put my winter tires on them? Will alloys be beat up badly in the winter or are they fine?
I have put winters on my stock 17" rims and am planning to buy some chrome rims in the spring.

As far as alloys in the winter, there are a number of them now being produced as "Winter Alloys", some even with 3 year warranties. Look for painted/coated alloy wheels, not polished or machined.

·
Registered
2021 Forte5 GT Ltd
32 Posts
I bought a 16" 205/55/16 form the dealer. I was putting them on today and it didn't clear the caliper!

I took them back and they are looking for a 16 rim that will, I think maybe they thought it was for a ex koup but mine is the SX 2.4L
Now that's surprising, what was it exactly? Was it not deep enough (offset)? or was it the inner diameter? Because my dealer service manager told me that 16" is the minimum for the SX due to the larger disc brake!!!

I'm still waiting for my Forte SX to arrive Dec 12th (i even got the VIN of the car), and because I live in Canada I had to buy Winter Tires and quickly because they were going like hot cakes for the past 2 weeks. I was able to get a set of Hankooks I*Pike W409 on Hub centric rims (Steelies) for 950$Cdn, the tire shop are keeping them aside until I get my car to try them on properly. I hope I don't get the same problems as you did. :confused:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks BigE. I decided to just put my existing 17" snows on the factory rims and look at going with new summer rims in the spring. Since the SX is in the Titanium (love it) I'm going to tint the windows and go with a darker rim (black or grey). I'll probably just put the factory all-seasons on the new rims next spring.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Now that's surprising, what was it exactly? Was it not deep enough (offset)? or was it the inner diameter? Because my dealer service manager told me that 16" is the minimum for the SX due to the larger disc brake!!!

I'm still waiting for my Forte SX to arrive Dec 12th (i even got the VIN of the car), and because I live in Canada I had to buy Winter Tires and quickly because they were going like hot cakes for the past 2 weeks. I was able to get a set of Hankooks I*Pike W409 on Hub centric rims (Steelies) for 950$Cdn, the tire shop are keeping them aside until I get my car to try them on properly. I hope I don't get the same problems as you did. :confused:
The problem was the offest....it was touching the claiper on the Front side not the top. as soon as i put the rim on it pressed against the caliper. I'll be talking to them today and i'll let you know

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wow don't you have a lot of plough in snow with 17" snows?

I dropped down to Pirelli 16" for my winters to avoid what I assumed would be a lot of plough

1 - 13 of 13 Posts