Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know next to nothing about car audio, but my previous vehicle had an amp and sub installed and I miss that extra *boom*.

Can some of you recommended an amp and sub to go with the stock setup, I'll be taking it into a shop but I'd like to have a decent base of what I am looking for, brands, how much power etc. Would like a decent amount of power, nothing window shattering though lol

thanks guys

·
Registered
191 Posts
I know next to nothing about car audio, but my previous vehicle had an amp and sub installed and I miss that extra *boom*.

Can some of you recommended an amp and sub to go with the stock setup, I'll be taking it into a shop but I'd like to have a decent base of what I am looking for, brands, how much power etc. Would like a decent amount of power, nothing window shattering though lol

thanks guys
Alpine type r... ported box... and alpine m500 amp(i think)
AMAZING set up! not that expensive and it will BUMMMP

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
for those with an amp and sub along with the stock setup, does your amp have a bass control knob? or is everything controlled via the stereo? I was wondering how much control you really have without a dedicated bass knob.

·
Registered
289 Posts
for those with an amp and sub along with the stock setup, does your amp have a bass control knob? or is everything controlled via the stereo? I was wondering how much control you really have without a dedicated bass knob.
Okay...want lots-o-bass????? JL Audio 500/1 with bass knob and 2 - JL Audio 12w3v3

less bass...300/2 bridged and run 1 JL 12w3v3

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had MTX. Real nice kick but not overpowering. It really depends on the model of sub though. A higher price will usually get you deeper bass...low octaves

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have Alpine Type R Splits for the front and rear plus a JVC 4 channel power amp fitted to stock unit. After a year of changing speakers and trying different speaker locations I finally have the sound that I like.
The biggest improvement for me was placement of the tweeters, I originally had the front tweeter mounted in where the factory fitted ones went. But the sound didn't gel so I finally mounted the tweeters close to the woofers. The rear tweeters I mounted on the parcel tray directly behind the headrests. I wired the Amp so that the rear speakers are now my mains and the fronts the fill in speakers. The sound is great and powerful and just sounds right. The use of Dynamat in the doors around around the speakers helped nice tight powerful bass to me no need of a sub.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Does the 2010 koup sx have stock sub in them already??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alpine type r... ported box... and alpine m500 amp(i think)
AMAZING set up! not that expensive and it will BUMMMP
ended up purchasing the m500 amp and type r 12" sub, got a really good deal online.

Next question would be why ported box? What is the benefit of ported vs sealed.

·
Registered
191 Posts
thanks for the reply
for the sub do you think a single 10 or 12 inch?
Depends what u like..
10inch gives u very clean and clear bass
12inch bumps really hard at low bass
Id do a 12inch type r in ported box. Had that in my 4 door and took it out cause its too much for me. Not biggest fan of bass

·
Registered
191 Posts
ended up purchasing the m500 amp and type r 12" sub, got a really good deal online.

Next question would be why ported box? What is the benefit of ported vs sealed.
Sick good choice. Ported box has vents to let air escape. Releases pressure

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
with that set up, the 500watt amp and 12" sub, would any electrical upgrades be needed? Battery, Alternator, capacitor, "big 3"

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
my last car the headlights would dim after I had my amp and sub installed, hated that.

Could that be an issue with this setup?

·
Registered
289 Posts
with that set up, the 500watt amp and 12" sub, would any electrical upgrades be needed? Battery, Alternator, capacitor, "big 3"
The big three never hurts. alt and battery are fine stock here

1 - 20 of 27 Posts