Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After searching ALL OVER the internet for proper hookup points and info, I finally got my setup working great, and without having any worrying hookup points...
To help out those searching for where the heck this and that go how or where, I'll try to explain my process a little bit here. I'm afraid I don't have pics to upload at the moment, as I did almost all of my work in the dark (work schedule isn't too project-friendly). I wasn't totally in the dark though, as my level 3 LED lighting kit from Diode Dynamics were quite a help! Without killing my battery too.

First off, power:
Unhook that negative battery terminal!!!
If you look under the hood, towards the left and very back, there's an oval-ish plate secured by two bolts. Unscrew the bolts, head to the other side by you gas pedals and you'll see a round black bit of rubber. Push on the rubber bit and the plate will pop out the other side (careful not to lose it on the ground). I took my plate and drilled a properly-sized hole in it to fit my power cable (8 gauge), then I put a hole in the rubber gasket that was behind it, screwed it back and fed my cable through to the battery. Make sure to put a grommet between the metal and your cable so it doesn't rub a hole in it!
make sure there is enough slack pulled towards the battery and decide where you want to feed it around. I just went along the wall and fastened it to some other cables on the way. With some extra slack cut a piece of your cable around 12" long, crimp a connector ring to one end and fix the other end to whatever in-line fuse device you're using. Attach the other end to the fuse connector and leave the fuse out. Connect the batter-end to the fuse connector and the attach it to the positive terminal on the battery.
I ran my cable entirely hidden under my door guards, which was surprisingly easy! From the hole you made earlier, feed the cable out of the way of any moving parts under the carpet a bit and towards the door, carefully snap out the door step-guard, pull out the weather stripping on both sides, unscrew the hood-release level and snap out the plastic piece behind it. Now feed your cable around the assortment of wires already run through the door and fasten it here and there with cable ties if you want some added security.
Remove the door-guard from your back door as well, then you can remove the pillar panel between the doors. Carefully remove the panel and keep feeding the power cable until you get to the back seat. I went under the door-guard and up the side of the seat cushion, the pushed it through the cushion crack and to the right of the child-seat anchor. totally invisible!
Don't put any panels back yet! Cut the cable's length if needed, then attach a spade tip to the end and hook up to your amp.

Ground cable:
Take you ground cable, same size as your power cable, and fasten it to an un-painted, bare metal bolt or surface on the chassis. THIS was annoying to me, as I couldn't find anywhere to do so, as all the bolts and surfaces are PAINTED. I did however find that a bolt attaching the rear seats seems to work fine. it's painted black, but the screw hole is bare and worked for me by leaving enough length of bare wire to feed into the hole and screw over. I'm not entirely sure this is a good idea, somebody PLEASE tell me if not, but it's working at the moment lol.

Power-On cable:
I had practically no luck finding info on this one! But here's what I did, and it's a nice hookup too!
get yourself a fuse splitter

Simply pick what fuse you want the amp to come on with (I chose the power outlet I think, but might change it to the radio). The cigarette lighter fuse didn't seem to work. And no, crimping your cable in the wire part of the splitter does not work (I tried lol). Crimp a spade connector the same width as a fuse to the end of your wire and connect it to the second fuse slot.
Run your power-on cable to the back with your other cable and that's that!

Audio hookups:
Whew, this one was interesting... I've heard many people say to use a LOC (line out converter), and sadly I couldn't get my hands on one/want to wait for one, but I found this solution: "vampire clamps"!
I found some at autozone, as well as that fuse splitter.
now to hook up those nifty clamps!
remove the passenger side door guards from both doors, pull out weather stripping, and remove the pillar panel. now locate the chunk of wires coming from the rear door. They're taped up pretty good, so just remove enough tape to expose the red and blue cables that are TWISTED TOGETHER, and only those two! take the clamps and snap them onto each cable and attach whatever audio cables you're using to the male ends that fit into the clamps.
Run your audio wires back and through the seat just like the other side and hook up the audio cables.

Now with everything hooked up, and before sealing up your doors, put the fuse in your power cable line, then reconnect the negative battery cable. make sure nothing is burning... Now turn you key to accessory and check to see if your amp is on. If it is, hook up that sub and make sure it sounds right.
If everything is A-OK, then seal it all up, that's it! Aside from cleanup...

I might be able to post some pics of my wiring job, but there's nothing to see. :p

Let me know if there's any more info you guys want to know, and if I screwed up somewhere let me know too! This is my first audio endeavor of this level, so take it easy!

Edit: Added more info to fuse splitter connetion.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
DAYUM, pretty good MUCH NEEDED write-up, especially with that firewall hole location.

I have to admit, you have just answered one of the most asked questions on this forum. Glad you did this. Keep up the hard work.

BTW, got any pictures?

·
Registered
205 Posts
yeah pics would really help

·
Registered
444 Posts
Good write up! That's almost exacty what I did in my koup. If I may suggest, pull your ground back out and sand the paint off both the bolt/washer and the body. That way you know you have a good connection. The only real difference in our installations is I ran 4ga, I connected to both rear speakers so as not to lose the left/right stereo effect, and I ran an old accessory wire to the cigarette plug so I can turn the sub off but still listen to the radio just in case the trunk is full of stuff!
Congrats on a good install!

Deuce

·
Registered
36 Posts
audio hookups

I'm a little confused as to how you used the "vampire clamps" for your audio connections. - any chance you could elaborate on that? I am looking to install an amp (or two) in my forte, but I don't really want to mess with the stock head unit (I love the usb input). How would I go about running the audio signal leads to the amp? Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thank you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts