Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a JVC 4 Channel Amp and new speakers to my Koup, it sounds great. I used a line level (2 in total) converter AP304 : Speaker to Line Level Converter :: Car Audio Accessories. Is this converter good enough for the job.
The other question is... The rear speakers always seem to be at a lower volume compaired to the front. Could I just take a line level feed from the front speakers and connect that to the converter, then use a piggy back RCA connector to feed the the rear imput on the Amp. This way the back speakers would be fed the same signal as the front speakers thus less muted signal. I hope this makes sense :confused:

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
you would lose the ability to fade using the HU. Are you sure you haven't faded forward at the HU?

·
Registered
318 Posts
it wouldn't sound right. the front speakers are always going to be louder. what you could try is plugging the rca cords into an eq and you can choose how it sounds. its what i did to my truck when i had it. or you could mess with the amp on the rear outputs and you can make it louder that way. but definitely check the hu first lol

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you would lose the ability to fade using the HU. Are you sure you haven't faded forward at the HU?
No the HU fader is set in the middle. Even with the Forte Sedan I thought there was more volume sent to the front speakers than the rear. I will leave as is and just bump up the gain a little on the Amp for the rear speakers.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bit the bullet and installed better speakers to the rear turned up the rear anp gain a tad, and now everything sounds balanced. I added a bit more Dynamat to rear compartment also some foam to help resonance. I have now a great sound plenty of tight bass and the top end is so airy, it's like the music has risen out of the speakers no more boxy sound.:)

·
Registered
318 Posts
nice. just curious but what did you end up getting for speakers?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nice. just curious but what did you end up getting for speakers?
In Australia car audio components are a lot more expensive than the US I originally had $80 Pioneer and Kenwood speakers with cloth surrounds. But paying a bit over a $A100 I got these, I think they are only sold in AUS . Fronts
6 point 5 Inch BOSCHMANN Extreme Series Component Splits | Performance Shop – Hindmarsh
Rears..I got the 6.5" version of these 4" Kevlar/Dome Tweeter Coaxial Car Speakers - Jaycar Electronics

·
Registered
318 Posts
very nice man. im ganna be going with an all digital designs audio setup ddaudio.com

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AMP Noise

I have just noticed when I have volume turned right down (car switched off) I can hear a fair bit of noise coming through my speakers. If I turn the gain of the Amp down to say 9 o'clock it's quieter but I loose volume, instead of 15 being loud I have to have the volume setting set up in the mid 20's.
Is this normal for car Amps ?

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Depends on wiring and grounding. What is your turn-on wire attached to ? I have run a separate ground right from the battery negative to my amps. However, if I use the 1/8" jack as the input for my external Sirius unit (sedan ex here) I get a small amount of noise since it's wired to the cigarette lighter socket. Radio, cd and iPod are fine though. Good gain structure will help too. If you har your amp set so that 15 is very loud, then you will be sending your amp a less noisy signal. What type of loc are you using? Active or passive?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Depends on wiring and grounding. What is your turn-on wire attached to ? I have run a separate ground right from the battery negative to my amps. However, if I use the 1/8" jack as the input for my external Sirius unit (sedan ex here) I get a small amount of noise since it's wired to the cigarette lighter socket. Radio, cd and iPod are fine though. Good gain structure will help too. If you har your amp set so that 15 is very loud, then you will be sending your amp a less noisy signal. What type of loc are you using? Active or passive?
The Line converters I used were passive. I run power direct from battery with the accessories feed is from the cigarette lighter, so maybe thats whats causing the small amount of pink noise coming through. The noise isn't noticeable as soon as you increase the volume with music playing ect. I might have to find a better earth (ground) for the Amp at present I'm using thin wire bolted underneath the seat railing.

·
Registered
318 Posts
DD Audio is amazing quality!! good choice man!!
damn right! i got a DD9518g dual 4ohm that i need sold so i can get my 1508's and speakers and amps and batteries.... just waiting on DD to make a headunit

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
The Line converters I used were passive. I run power direct from battery with the accessories feed is from the cigarette lighter, so maybe thats whats causing the small amount of pink noise coming through. The noise isn't noticeable as soon as you increase the volume with music playing ect. I might have to find a better earth (ground) for the Amp at present I'm using thin wire bolted underneath the seat railing.
The earth wire in a DC system should be the same gauge that is required to power the amp. You could have a fire if it isn't!

·
Registered
318 Posts
30 amp wire? what gauge wire is that?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
not sure as the US uses different measurement than Aust. but I think about 8 gauge

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.