Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried these units out? Looking at the MTX, Infinity, or Pioneer units. How are the sound, do they sound good in the Koup, do I still need the LOC?

Looking for a cheap way to get good bass but minimize the space used in the trunk. Any ideas and comments are welcome.

·
Registered
260 Posts
theres a mtx 12" with amp it fits perfect...check at the sound place. and its like 200$$

·
Registered
708 Posts
my friend has the basslink its a nice system.. it's not in a forte though..

i've looked at them before.. the infinity was my favorite as well ..

however depending on what kind of music you listen to a 12" sub might be better

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was leaning toward the Infinity. Do you know if I still need the LOC? Maybe D113 has some thoughts here, he seems to know all about sound. Is it easy to install these in the Koup on the stock HU.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
If you buy the infinity, they have been notorious for dying so make sure you protect your investment with an extended warranty if possible. Hopefully they've worked the bugs out by now.

Most are good for adding low end however they really don't get low enough at high volumes. They are more of a reinforcement to a stock sytem. Most if these have high level inputs so you'd splice into existing lines to feed them signal. The only real complaint I have about them is their need to be mounted as most are quite tippy and could prove to be a challenge screwing down.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So D113, would you go for an amplified unit like that or a 10" sub and amp? All I want to do is add a sub for now, possibly swap out the stock speakers later. Does anyone know what the stock speakers are in the Canadian SX model?
The Infinity amplified Basslink II has the option to add-on the extra unit that adds amplified power to the rest of the speakers, would this be something to do or run them from another amp and swap out the speakers? Can the stock speakers handle an amp or are they just crap stock speakers?

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
I'd get a sub and amp personally and then add an amp and new interior speakers later. The stock ones are are definitely not amp-able. They are nothing special, very low power handling.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but.... D113, what about a 8" Bazooka 110W. Someone recommended that since I'm not looking to rattle windows or anything, just add some clean bass to what I already have (which is stock). Down the road I may upgrade the stocks and amp them. Would this work, and would I need anything else? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but.... D113, what about a 8" Bazooka 110W. Someone recommended that since I'm not looking to rattle windows or anything, just add some clean bass to what I already have (which is stock). Down the road I may upgrade the stocks and amp them. Would this work, and would I need anything else? Thanks for any input.
bazooka tubes :'( no .. lol

any one of these that were mentioned in here would be a good idea

and i agree with D113 get sub and amp now.. and internal speakers and amp + head unit later

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
JL Audio PWM110-WX Subwoofer systems

This is the perfect type of product, compact, sealed for good sound quality is ideally what you need. I'm sure other manufacturors will offere a similar product. If the amp has a high level input, you can get adapters to go from speaker wire to rca to do the splice.

Darryl

·
Registered
288 Posts
I agree, Id get good subs and an amp with the right continuous power to pair them.

Polk Audio - db Series - Mobile / Marie Speakers

I just put that in my SX sedan. I had the amp mounted under the the passenger seat (snug) with the floor vents blowing right over it to keep it cool (perfect). My car hits so hard it hurts people's feelings.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Every speaker has its own recommended space for ported and sealed. one good 12 should be all you need. Again. SAS bazooka. ( a Louisiana company) Sucks balls.
Personally i use a Memphis M3 on 1200 watts in my neon and a Memphis m class on 700 in my rolla. I like them both. Lots of bass makes your car literally come apart. Get ready for squeaks and noises..... :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I actually have an Infinity Basslink II in my possession. I bought it and ran it off a spare battery I mounted in the trunk. I ran speaker level inputs off the rear speakers and it sounded fine. It had a good amount of thump to it without having to turn the gains up too high. The enclosure itself whistles a little bit, but that's not noticeable when you're in the car. It's definitely not a bad setup, but I ended up upgrading to a beefier system I had laying around.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The system I installed in my car is perfect for me. Nothing to wake the neighbors but makes my music sound perfect for me. I highly recommend this sub...
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/JL-Audio-CS112RG-W1v2-PowerWedge-Subwoofer/dp/B003CHMF4C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1276815248&sr=1-1[/ame]

This is the sub I installed in my car. If your trying to shatter your eardrums it may not be enough for you. For me it's perfect. I'm not a rap guy but I do have some Cypress Hill from back in the day and it puts out plenty of bass :D

·
Registered
522 Posts
Remove the spare tire and use a jl audio 10 in a sealed box in the space where the tire was and use a small amp like a 100 wats rinning mono into the sub and put a clear plexi cover on in and it will pound like hell!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts