Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Forte
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay everyone, I’ve been searching the forums the last few days, and while I wait for funds to get a new starter I’d like some topics of discussion for how this all came to be.
2011 Kia Forte 6 speed manual, no power anything, no automatic anything, bare bones. She’s been running perfect since she came off the lot 10 years ago, only thing that’s ever gone wrong was the radio went out. I was on my way to work the other day, and when I went to go shift, she just died. Just kaput…no warning lights, no smells, dead. So I get her home by way of tow and get driven to work. I come back home and try to start her, she starts, runs extremely rough for maybe 20 seconds, nasty noises, shaking, and then dead. I go to retry again and (this is why I needed a new starter) nothing, no click, no cranking, just turn key and everything turns on BUT the starter won’t engage. Did some diagnosing and did figure out that there was power getting to the relay, and I haven’t exactly checked yet what the readings are at the connectors to the starter, but I just took the starter out had it tested and yup, she dead.
So, my oil was super low (probably what had caused the nasty noises the very last time she started), the common P200A has been on the car forever and the Kia dealership we take it to just say, “eh, it’s fine it won’t hurt anything”, been running like that for like 6 years now.
Got some “erl” and topped her off now I’m just waiting. Anything else I should check that can be checked without running the car, other than double check all the fuses and relays?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Forte
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Went and checked my sparkers just because, definitely could use new ones, cyl 2 and 4 gaps were waaaay beyond what they should be, .056 and .059 respectively, that might cause some issues :LOL: 1 and 3 were fine though

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,901 Posts
Jaydubz, run a scan for Codes in your OBDII! Everybody today should own a cheap OBDII scan tool! I bet you'd find out real quick what your problem is!

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,901 Posts
One of the first things I did…no other codes aside from P200A
Well that's disappointing!!!

Your engine won't start and there are no engine codes other then for your intake runner valve system?

Do you hear your fuel pump run for two seconds when you turn the key on?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Forte
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well that's disappointing!!!

Your engine won't start and there are no engine codes other then for your intake runner valve system?

Do you hear your fuel pump run for two seconds when you turn the key on?
Yup! Well the issue currently why she won't start is, I have no way to crank her over because the starter is dead dead and removed, and no hill to get a good push and pop the clutch, but just to be certain for my own sanity, I'll check and see if any power is getting to the connectors to the starter after the relay, no sense getting a new starter and installing it if I first have to fix the circuit between the relay and the starter. There's constant power at the #30 port when battery is plugged in and one of the other ports (forget the number, but saw to test it on another thread #85? or #87? with a no crank, no start issue) has power when I had the wife turn the key to try and start. I'll have to update and show you guys what the car is doing when I get the new starter in there, unless it wants to act like nothing is wrong after I also get new spark plugs :LOL:.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Battery, age & condition?
Spark plugs, age/condition & gap?
Ignition coils/packs, age & condition?
Alternator?
Starter?
Fuel pump?
Fuses & relays?

Can you get a OBD2 scanner or your Kia to Autozone or O'Reilly's?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Have you for now (band aid) go to your local junk/salvage yard for a starter? Bench test be fore you buy.

What I do is take my fully charged Ridgid battery pack & use that to bench test. Horns, starters, alternator, headlights. Basically 12V source required.

It's funny when I test SUV horns on the yard. The looks from others is funny. Also louder than usual.

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
245 Posts
I always just bring my little 12V lithium jumper pack with me to the yard to test stuff. A little bigger than my phone, so it’s easy to carry in with my tools, and it’s an easily controllable 12V source with plenty of juice to turn a starter (since that’s what it’s designed for).

·
Registered
2011 Kia Forte
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright here’s an update…finally got my new starter installed, go to try and crank, nothing…went and bypassed the relay again just to check, turns over beautifully, took starter relay out, threw Blower relay there, try to crank over and I definitely hear a little “pop” sound…I go check stuff and here’s what I found…if I’m not mistaken the big fat one that’s half covered is the Alternator and the one next to it is IGN2? Well whichever that one is, it blew…

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
That's a multifuse. Just be very careful when you remove & install the new one. 2 10mm bolts & use a small flathead to gently help move/wiggle the multifuse loose & slide upwards.

That multifuse is one big fuse. Car will not start without it.

You can go to your local Autozone, O'Reilly's, Pepboys, Napa, advanced auto parts & see if they can get one.

Google:
2011 Kia Forte multifuse,
2011 Kia Forte engine fuses

KiaAutoPartsAccessories.com
KiaPartsNow.com
MyKiaParts.com

Can also try Ebay or Amazon.
Your local junk/salvage yard.

Last option is the dealership.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Forte
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys, I knew it was the multi fuse this time, managed to take time to go to a junkyard and luckily they had a 2010 Forte with same p/n. So now, new starter (cuz it was dead dead), new to me multifuse, double checked for battery terminal corrosion and connectors and double checked battery itself, all lights come on, but no power to the starter when I go to crank, there’s a click, but just a single click and nothing more while my headlights go completely out. Still nothing with relay swaps, so now I’m thinking, could it be the clutch safety switch??

·
Registered
2017 Kia Forte LX
392 Posts
Have you looked at the flywheel and make sure there's no teeth missing off it. It's rare, but I've seen it happen. Mostly on old Chevrolets where the starter wasn't properly shimmed, but it CAN happen. If the starter happens to stop where the teeth are missing, the bendix just pushes into the hole and won't spin the engine. But, it sounds like a grounding issue to me. BUT, I'm NOT A MECHANIC.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Forte
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So update...did some looking and me being stubborn, revisited the starter relay slots. Come to find out, having the wife pretend to crank car over, pin 85 only shows putting out 5V where as pin 30 has good 12V.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
.... when I went to go shift, she just died. Just kaput… I come back home and try to start her, she starts, runs extremely rough for maybe 20 seconds, nasty noises, shaking, and then dead. I go to retry again and (this is why I needed a new starter) nothing, no click, no cranking, just turn key and everything turns on BUT the starter won’t engage. ... my oil was super low ...
Remove the spark plugs and then try turning the engine using the crank pulley bolt. It's located in front of the passenger front wheel, and can be accessed by turning the steering wheel all the way to the right. Use a 22mm socket + extension to slowly turn the bolt clockwise. A healthy engine with the plugs out will turn very smoothly and easily, with no hang-ups as it's being rotated.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Forte
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Been a bit since I was last here, but, the engine is toast. I'll have to tear it apart now and see what damage has been done. Good opportunity to take measurements now at least, and see if I can't research some suitable parts to replace so there's a silver lining! I'm big into doing stupid things so I'm actually looking for some engine swap ideas, but that's for a different area on this site.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts