Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I've been lurking these forums for the last month trying to decide if i want to spend 20k on one of these cars. Well I finally joined the forums now that i'm the proud owner of a corsa blue sx mt. I'm very pleased with it. Thanks to everyone for giving me the confidence to by my first non-ford vehicle (also my first brand new car)!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Peeks out from behind a rock to say hi and welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
82 Posts
glad ot see you moved ot the dark side!!!! i love the Corsa Blue....thats why i own a corsa blue SX lol..... welcome and enjoy not stocking us!!!!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Welcome to the proud group of kia forte owners.
Enjoy :)

·
Registered
587 Posts
Welcome and congrats.

Post up some pics :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Post break in review:

So there are some pro's and con's to the car, mostly in agreement with what I read and expected before I purchased the sx m/t.

2.4L Engine - It's very smooth, professional if you will. I don't feel thrown in the seat by it, but passengers are always grabbing the 'oh shit' bar on the door, lol. It has a nice positive pull through the powerband, but has a little less torque down low than I hoped for. I was getting about 30mpg during break in on longer drives (varied speeds and gears, no cruise control). I'm hoping it gets closer to 34mpg my next trip to the shore.

6 speed M/T - The spread of gears is nice, but I think the 2-3-4 could stand to be closer. Possibly because I'm not jamming the gears fast enough to keep rpms up but the engine easily falls out of it's powerband between those gears. I'm used to 6spd dirtbikes and sportbikes, so I like close ratio gearboxes :)

Clutch - Whoever complains about this thing just needs to practice driving the car. I stalled twice taking it off the lot, then just last week trying to negotiate potholes at low speed in 2nd gear (my fault). For most purposes, I think the clutch is actually pretty easy to work with, and the lighter action is nice when you're shifting frequently or quickly. I've driven my dad's 02 mustang gt, and all my other cars were sticks, 03 zx2, 97 probe gt, 94 ranger, I actually like this clutch once I got used to it.

Suspension - The rear torsion bar is only really an issue when I'm turning and going over the speed bump to enter my gym's parking lot. Other than that it's fine and I find that I can weave the car like crazy and get very little body roll. My one complaint is that a number of times the suspension will bottom over harsh bumps and I swear something is going to break (BANG!). I will note that under moderate cornering the car must be detecting understeer and causing the TC to come on.

Electronics - The sirius radio is a nice feature, but I won't renew it once I get my 8gb flash drive to leave docked in the car. The light up speakers do a pretty poor job pulsing to the beats. I don't know electronics, but they're too sensitive to sound and light up too frequently. The bluetooth calling is ok, but you have to speak loud and clear or they can't hear you on the other end. Also note that the windows and sunroof need to be closed if the car is moving. Steering wheel controls are a great feature. If the car had navigation it'd be perfect, though having 2x 12v outlets means I can leave my gps hooked up and still charge phone etc.

All in all, the car is exactly what I wanted; A good combination of performance, style, and economy, with lots of extra goodies the competators didn't offer. The price was more than fair and cheaper than my zx2 to insure (safety features like whoa!) Like many members have said on the board, I find myself creating all sorts of excuses to jump behind the wheel. I really hope this car keeps me smiling for 60k miles!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Post break in review:

Suspension - The rear torsion bar is only really an issue when I'm turning and going over the speed bump to enter my gym's parking lot. Other than that it's fine and I find that I can weave the car like crazy and get very little body roll. My one complaint is that a number of times the suspension will bottom over harsh bumps and I swear something is going to break (BANG!). I will note that under moderate cornering the car must be detecting understeer and causing the TC to come on.
The bang might be the tow hook in teh front. it sounds nasty, and mine is scratched up, but no biggie.

Oh, and ill agree to disagree with you on the clutch point :D

·
Registered
167 Posts
Welcome! Yay for Corsa's! :D Enjoy your ride, congratulations!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Welcome!!! I also recently came out of the closet......oh wait

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The bang might be the tow hook in teh front. it sounds nasty, and mine is scratched up, but no biggie.

Oh, and ill agree to disagree with you on the clutch point :D
I'll have to peek at the towing hook, I never thought of it. Did you try the throttle mod? I haven't touched mine, just curious if it made it better for you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts