Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I've had my 2010 Koup SX for about a month, and so far I love it with no issues. However not all is perfect I'll explain what is happening as best I can.

When the car is cold and for the first good while, the clutch functions exactly as it should with no signs of slippage or any impending issues .. other than the fact that it's very stiff to get into 2nd and 3rd gear when it's cold so I let it warm up and it seems to be fine then - probably just something I have to get used to.

However if I do a lot of stop-and-go driving or basically if I've been on the road for 45 minutes + of non-stop stop and go driving, when I release the clutch in first gear - especially if there's any kind of incline - the car judders and shakes until I start moving. Kind of like if I was a complete noob driving a clutch and I wasn't letting it out completely or giving it enough gas. It's hard for me to illustrate what I'm saying but I'm sure you can imagine what I mean. It's just not a smooth transition at all it's like shake shake shake and then I'm going! It's a pretty unsettling feeling :(.

It'll start usually, like I said, if Im on any kind of incline and generallyally won't do it if I'm going downhill at all. But once it starts uphill it then basically does it all the time when I'm in any kind of flat surface. I could slip it or keep the revs way up I suppose to get going, but I really don't want to do any damage to the clutch, because like I said there's no other indication it's slipping at all.

Once I let the car sit overnight till it's cold it's all back to normal again!

So from what I've been researching to suspect things are something called a conduit? - and a bowden?! Neither of which I've heard of.

I kept a couple of links referring to these two things and went to my mechanic today and explained exactly what I just wrote. When I brought it in the car wasn't warm enough to have the issue so he couldn't road test it to see what I was talking about, but his thoughts were the clutch master cylinder was bad or failing. The way he explained it to me was once it's warm, it's going to start to act goofy and this may be one of the effects. He had never heard of those two parts that I mentioned.

So basically that's it.

Has anybody here had a failed clutch master cylinder or experienced the same things I'm going through? I love the car otherwise but this is driving me crazy.... And I'm sure it'll just get worse.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I had a 2011 manual Forte and to help with shifting when cold and overall, change the oil out to Red Line:

You will not believe the difference in shift quality. It won't help your shudder, though. I also had that issue, but not all the time and only when the car was very warm. Besides changing out the clutch, I doubt there is much you can do. Very unlikely that it's your clutch slave cylinder, they usually fail in this manner. You may try bleeding the clutch hydraulic fluid. That's cheap and easy and may help.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It really sounds like your clutch is worn. Since you likely bought this car used (as I did with mine), you really can't know the clutch condition or how hard it was driven by previous owners. Replacing it would provide you with some much needed peach of mind. If you do replace it, just don't forget to break it in for the first 3-500 miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It really sounds like your clutch is worn. Since you likely bought this car used (as I did with mine), you really can't know the clutch condition or how hard it was driven by previous owners. Replacing it would provide you with some much needed peach of mind. If you do replace it, just don't forget to break it in for the first 3-500 miles.

Well I've had quite a few cars with manual transmissions, and in every other capacity there's no indication the clutch is worn. My mechanic also took it for a drive and agreed. I think it might just be the way these clutches are? From what I've read they're not the most user friendly to engage so maybe I'll just get used to it and slipped the clutch a bit more on takeoff.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well sadly mine is automatic, so I can't weigh in on this platforms clutch comfort. That was based off of my experiences.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Bumping this up because of the spam

1 - 8 of 8 Posts