Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just got a 2015 Forte, and I'm intrigued by the Uvo system. I understand it runs on a build of Windows CE...possibly 7?

Any way, I see that with some of the Navi systems in older models, there is a dev menu that can be accessed by tapping an icon, or pressing a certain sequence of buttons.

This makes me wonder if anybody has discovered how to access anything else on the Forte?

Additionally, I'd like to get my hands on one of the system updates for the device. I'd be interested in checking out the underpinnings, seeing how the OS is built, and seeing how difficult it would be to execute other stuff from a USB stick.

Right now, I use it to stream Google Music, which doesn't show the track titles or artist when playing - just my device name and a play/pause button. So, I want to learn how it works and see if I can extend it - either via my custom ROM for the my M8, or on the CE side.

So, any tips or pointers out there - anybody who has an update file I can rip apart - please hmu with any info you have. I'm seriously interested in getting into the guts of this thing - and if I come up with any mods, I'll be sure to share them here.

Thanks!

·
Registered
379 Posts
I think the Nav units are actually running an Android based OS. Not sure about non Nav models though, and I know older model years were using a windows based setup.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the Nav units are actually running an Android based OS. Not sure about non Nav models though, and I know older model years were using a windows based setup.
That's what's confusing to me as well. In the console itself, I still have the branding that says "Uvo: Powered by Microsoft" or something to that effect, which would lead me to believe they still stuck with CE.

If anybody can confirm it's Android, I'll be on my way to the garage with my laptop and an OTG cable, see if I can't bring up an ADB shell. :D

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'm guessing the non Nav units are still MS. Mine certainly does not have any MS badging on it from what I remember.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm guessing the non Nav units are still MS. Mine certainly does not have any MS badging on it from what I remember.
Okay...so does anybody know about how to get into a dev/engineer/screen calbiration menu - or have a system update available?

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'd suggest signing up here and have a look around the service info (SI) section, and the TSB section, for any audio related stuff. It should mention how you apply updates. I *think* it does require the special laptop / software combo (cannot remember the name of what it is, but it's the KIA equivalent of the VW "VAG-COM" setup), so I'm not sure you'd be able to get in an do anything.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eagerly awaiting your results, digital high. You may have a new profession in your future! >:D
I've got an updated downloaded now...I've got it extracted and am trying to parse the structure of the actual update files now.

As far as a new profession - this is already kinda what I do. As I said, I port and release the GPE ROM for the Verizon M8, and I'm a System Admin by trade, working in a 99% M$ environment. So, CE basically falls right into the crack between Android devices and Windows Environs. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well come down to FL and update mine, will you? I can't get Kia to do it! :nerd2:
It's actually incredibly easy to do. The site Markus posted is free to sign up for.

And while it's not super-intuitive, I've found the instructions on how to get into the engineering mode and install the updates provided on the site.

Now to reverse-engineer the updates and throw in some reg hacks. ;)

Edit:

Oh boy...just got the latest 2015 update. It's super-easy. Self extracting archive, containging a bunch of cab.pku files. Each cab.pku can be opened with 7-zip. The largest one has the full EXE for the Sirius, launcher, camera, and mediaapp. In addition to all the .pku files, there's an install.inf that has the .pku name and the MD5 signature. I also see OEM files with updates to the bootloader and .nls files...all in plain files.

In short, provided there is no verification to prevent you from re-installing updates, there is great potential here to make custom modifications to the update, and run our own executables.

Trick now is to find .exe's compiled to run on the architecture of the head unit, which I still have to determine.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Seeing as I pointed you in the right place ;) , care to give some info under what menu / sections you found the updates?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Seeing as I pointed you in the right place ;) , care to give some info under what menu / sections you found the updates?
But of course, good sir.

The *only* update I see for the Uvo system, which is the same one referenced in a few other google searches for "Uvo update" is under Home > Diagnostic Tools > Software Downloads, with the patch being called "Download for Uvo Software Update ELE 038".

It's definitely a large patch. You may be able to dl from here without having to sign up:

https://www.kiatechinfo.com/pds/Downloads/UVO_V139-V149.exe

According to instructions, you should just have to plug in a Fat32 formatted USB Stick to a windows box, open the download, and select the USB drive as the extract destination.

From there, you supposedly plug into Uvo/USB port with car OFF, then turn on the stereo and profit.

Otherwise, I'll grab a screenie of the instructions for dropping into engineering menu, where I *hope* you can force it to re-run an update, effectively making the DL into a mechanism for patching the system with some other goodies. :D

Edit: I also made a PDF dump of the Shop stuff for the Uvo System:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0OpOqUNqeKkbnJaR2xsTkN2Tmc/edit?usp=sharing

Edit2: Okay...so looks like the secret menu is missing from the picture? Sorry. I'll edit later. Positions 1, 2, and three are horizontally dead-center of the screen, and far left, center, and right in that order. So, basically, go to setup menu, tap the screen one far left center, one center/center, and one far right center. Boom.

Not too exciting, but could be useful.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Thanks. as I have the nav unit and these look like non nav files I don't think I'll give it a shot, but having someone who knows what they are looking at is a great thing to have on here.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I was about to ask where in the menu hierarchy that document is / was, but I found it.

To help anyone else (I'm *not* saying you're not being helpful, please don't think that for a second) looking for it, here's how I found it:

1. Login to Kia Tech Info / KGIS
2. Select "service info (SI)"
3. Pick your model type, year, and engine type
4. Expand the engine type in the menu on the left
5. Look for "Body Electrical System" -> "MTS System" -> "Description and Operation"

Looking at it I think that "Audio Type" equals non Navigation units, ie; UVO audio units, and "AVN Type" equals Navigation units. Certainly the images seem to give that impression.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hmm, just tried it on my AVN / Navi unit and it does not work. I wonder if it's because it doesn't have the UVO options as it's a Canadian car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The UVO update you mentioned (ELE 038) will not work for the 2014-2015 Kia Forte. As far as I can tell, the headunits aren't anything alike from previous generation to current generation.

Kia hasn't publicly released any update files for 2014-2015 Forte stereo units. You have to go to the dealership and let them apply the update. It would be nice if someone could copy the files off the USB flash drives they use so we can just do it ourselves...

And no, 2014+ Forte headunits do not use Android. Dunno why people keep saying that when there is literally Microsoft branding next to the USB and accessory ports.

You may find the info in the TSBs ELE 053 and 054 to be interesting, which shows you how to put the unit into "UVO USB Downloader mode". I've uploaded them here to make it easier to access without having to log into kiatechinfo: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/7rxt2r9ao5t5d//Forte

·
Registered
379 Posts
And no, 2014+ Forte headunits do not use Android. Dunno why people keep saying that when there is literally Microsoft branding next to the USB and accessory ports./QUOTE]

Is the branding obvious, ie; in white lettering? I ask because if you mean the USB / 3.5mm area, between the two 12v connectors, then I don't see anything that mentions Microsoft.

However, looking at this document; "YD IQS[USA_EN]AVN UM sm" (which is the Nav manual for US cars. It does clearly state on page 9-16:

Microsoft® Windows® Automotive Operating System

Important Safety Information
Read and Follow Instructions

Before using your Windows Automotive-based system, read and follow all instructions and safety information provided in this end user manual ("User's Guide"). Not following precautions found in this User's Guide can lead to an accident or other serious consequences.

I think that does indeed confirm my car has an MS based setup.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts